Climbing Kilimanjaro, and Africa photos & videos

Post links to other useful sites and videos, planting or forestry or otherwise. Visible to unregistered users.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Climbing Kilimanjaro, and Africa photos & videos

Post by Scooter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:02 pm

Hm, I just noticed that we need a forum for random, miscellaneous, non-planting posts. For now, I'll use the Campfire.

I just spent a month in Africa. The first few weeks were doing safaris and stuff like that, travelling around Kenya and Tanzania. I have some really awesome photos and videos from all that. But it'll be a month or so before I have time to go through the thousands of photos that I took.

In the meantime, I tackled the easiest project first: info from climbing Kilimanjaro. Let me just say right now that Kilimanjaro isn't that hard, it's kind of like coastal planting. I've had lots of days on the coast that were harder than days on Kilimanjaro. However, having said that, Kili is a bit of a hike if you're not in planting shape (which I wasn't). We covered 95 kilometers in four days and four hours, going through about 4000m of elevation changes.

That wasn't really that amazing, just a good workout. But the porters were amazing. Holy shit, those guys carried about 60-80 pounds each as they climbed up and down the mountain with us, and a lot of them balanced half that weight on their heads. I've never seen anything like it. A lot of them also worked in light jackets and sneakers without socks (which probably explains why the leading cause of death on the mountain is apparently hypothermia among the porters).

Anyway, if you're bored and want to learn more, I think a lot of planters would enjoy a good hike like this. Here are some links:

The Writeup: http://djbolivia.blogspot.ca/2013/12/a- ... limbs.html
Photo Galleries: http://www.djbolivia.ca/photos_kilimanjaro2013.html

And the least exciting part, a compilation of about twenty minutes of video footage:

shawniganlaker
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro

Post by shawniganlaker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Fantastic ! I was in Kenya and Tanznia as a kid. I have fond memories of the people and breathtaking terrain. Have you made it up to Lake Turkana yet ? It is awe inspiring (and full of crocodiles).

I was similarly impressed by porters when mountaineering around Huaraz and Cuzco in Peru. It is humbling to watch guys carry 60-80 lbs of gear on a wooden frame balanced on their back for 8-10 hrs straight. Not to mention doing it above 4000M altitude. And all on nothing more than a wad of Cocoa stuffed in their cheek and some tea. I was in planting shape and took one of the porters loads to try it out...I was not in porter shape !

Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro

Post by Scooter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:05 am

I haven't been to Turkana yet. I definitely want to go back next winter though. Such an amazing place.

Also, I finally finished editing photos from the Kenya half of the trip. I think these are much better than the ones I took on Kilimanjaro. Here's the link on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... cd529d557f

You don't need to be logged in or have a facebook account to be able to view, I just like using the facebook album photo viewer, because it's pretty robust. I do have a normal photo page up too, but the photos on that are at pretty high resolution so they take up over a gig of bandwidth. Not great for people viewing on a cellular connection, which is why I'm linking to the smaller facebook page instead.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Climbing Kilimanjaro, and Africa photos & videos

Post by Scooter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Finally, after a few weeks, I managed to finish editing my video footage from the trip. If you're bored, here it is, ninety minutes worth:

I didn't have much for audio in any of that footage, so I cut it up and overlaid it on top of a DJ set that I recorded while playing in a club in Arusha, Tanzania. If you don't like tech-house and techno music, you can turn the volume off entirely and listen to something else, and the video won't suffer.

One more set of photos to put online this weekend ...