What are the best companies to work for?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
PlantGypsy
Starting to Post

What are the best companies to work for?

Post by PlantGypsy »

What are the best companies to work for in which regions? I've heard to stay away from big corporations like Folklore and Brinkman, especially out west, and companies that you're lucky to work for include Northern Reforestation, Zanzibar, Wild Winds and Artisan. Then again Folklore's got a very honest appearance and some say that its great for rookies to start with Brinkmans. Who will give you the best per tree compensation, and what are some other things to consider in judging a company?
Lifes just a big shit sandwich and we all have to take a bite.
mwainwright
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: What are the best companies to work for?

Post by mwainwright »

wild winds!
Jimbo the Mook
Regular Contributor

Post by Jimbo the Mook »

Yep, Wild Winds. Definitely! Great company to work for!

Good luck luck out there PlantGypsy!
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I feel that the Wild Winds legend will be repeated here for years.

To give you a serious answer, I think the best approach is to see who will hire you, and then try to figure it out as a choice between a few options. For instance, the chances of getting hired at Zanzibar, Wildwoods, or Artisan are about one in thirty-three million if you don't have documented appropriate planting experience. Some companies just don't even look at applications from rookies. If you're a rookie trying to apply at those companies that only hire vets, you're wasting their time, and you're wasting your own time.

Time is a precious commodity. Don't waste it.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
donkeyrider
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Better to plant in Ontario, Alberta, or Interior/Coast B

Post by donkeyrider »

For your first season planting you will make more money in the Interior vs your other choices. There is no such thing as good or bad land only good or bad prices (or places for that matter). Doesn't matter if your being paid 40 cents a tree if you can only only 200-300. Or 8 cents if you can plant 2000. The interior is the best bang for you buck the first season. Learn quickly, work your tail off, use your time extremely efficiently, and you'll have your chance to make some good money. Maybe after a solid rookie season Wild Winds will even give you a shot...
Happy Hunting
Best way to kill flies: "throw your shovel at them"
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

And by the way, please don't post the same question multiple times. It's annoying.

PlantGypsy
Starting to Post

Post by PlantGypsy »

Scooter wrote:And by the way, please don't post the same question multiple times. It's annoying.
For the record, I posted two different questions; what are the best companies to work for and what region could you make the most money in.
Lifes just a big shit sandwich and we all have to take a bite.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Ah, I didn't notice. I thought they were the same. Ok, so let's assume that this thread can answer both questions, since I deleted the other one.

CalviNNatioN
Starting to Post

Post by CalviNNatioN »

Im replying late to a lot of these but I planted in Northwestern ontario for Haveman Bros.

I made 9 cents a tree and the land on average was good enough to pound in a decent wages worth. I planted 95K first year.

My crew was almost entirely made up of rookies. I believe we had around 55 rookies and 10 vets. A good 20 of those rookies left though. It was terrible.

Our lowest baller planted probably 40-50 K so thats not super bad either. I wouldn't come back with that but they made money none the less.

Our highest rookie planted about 110K

Good company, great people and fun times!
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Not to sound critical, because I believe you posted in good faith about Haveman. And of the Ontario companies, I have heard that they are definitely among the best.

But to put things into perspective, I have four rookies in camp this year in BC/Alberta. Three of those four have already blown past 100k at an average of around 12.5 cents. And we still have ten more planting days, so at their current rate, the top three of my four rookies will average around 135k apiece, at an average price of 12.5.

I concede that these particular first-year planters are slightly better than many that I've seen, but not really any faster than the top three rookies that I had last year (although we have more days this year, and higher prices).

And by the way, Folklore is probably one of the middle-of-the-pack companies in western Canada when it comes to prices. We aren't in the top tier.

This is one reason why Ontario planters should consider planting in western Canada.

zilla
Regular Contributor

Post by zilla »

It's really about the contract, not the company. Good companies can have bad contracts, and bad companies can get good contracts. Follow bid prices, find out who gets direct award, but most importantly plant in and area that suits your type of planting. Faster slutty trees up north, and more technical dirt shot obstacle planting in the south.
Flearzilla
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

plant in an area that suits your type of planting.

Such good advice.

Jangles22
Starting to Post

Post by Jangles22 »

Scooter wrote:Not to sound critical, because I believe you posted in good faith about Haveman. And of the Ontario companies, I have heard that they are definitely among the best.

But to put things into perspective, I have four rookies in camp this year in BC/Alberta. Three of those four have already blown past 100k at an average of around 12.5 cents. And we still have ten more planting days, so at their current rate, the top three of my four rookies will average around 135k apiece, at an average price of 12.5.

I concede that these particular first-year planters are slightly better than many that I've seen, but not really any faster than the top three rookies that I had last year (although we have more days this year, and higher prices).

And by the way, Folklore is probably one of the middle-of-the-pack companies in western Canada when it comes to prices. We aren't in the top tier.

This is one reason why Ontario planters should consider planting in western Canada.
One thing you're forgetting about is season length while I agree with the points you made, keep in mind that most Ontario contracts are DONE by the beginning of July.. My shortest season(my rookie season) in Ontario was 43 days, which means not a lot of rookies hitting the 100k mark. That being said my longest was 57 days where 20 or so of the 40 rookies easily hit the mark.

If you can get outwest though I def say do it. I'm most likely making the switch this year, 5th year Ontario planter, needing a longer season..