Experiences applying to "real" jobs?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
m0bmx
Starting to Post

Experiences applying to "real" jobs?

Post by m0bmx »

So, anyway's, I'll be graduating university soon and have been preparing my resume to look for a "real" job. The thing is, while looking at other people's resume's, they go into great detail about their previous job experiences and, I can't think of anything to put besides "I planted a lot of trees." Does anyone have any ideas of how I can put treeplanting in the best possible light? or what did post-planting employers think of your experience? I didn't take any internships or anything while I was in school-spent every summer treeplanting- and now I'm worried possible employers will view it as a meaningless job.
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Experiences applying to "real" jobs?

Post by Mike »

Working on precisely the same thing:

1) Volunteer organizations: I volunteered for the Occupy Movement (only good for left-wing jobs) and a local Queer Advocacy group/GSA type thing (uh, same)
2) Conferences you attended: I presented at the WSCA on a workers panel, which makes nice filler
3) Other random organizations: I've spent 10 years doing debate and public speaking.
4) During the year jobs: I've done some construction, landscaping, and office work. It helps.
5) Talk up your degree: It's 4 years and a lot of money and people will loosely look for you having one. Make it out to be a big part of you.

Note: Haven't found a job yet.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
E.E

Post by E.E »

m0bmx wrote:So, anyway's, I'll be graduating university soon and have been preparing my resume to look for a "real" job. The thing is, while looking at other people's resume's, they go into great detail about their previous job experiences and, I can't think of anything to put besides "I planted a lot of trees." Does anyone have any ideas of how I can put treeplanting in the best possible light? or what did post-planting employers think of your experience? I didn't take any internships or anything while I was in school-spent every summer treeplanting- and now I'm worried possible employers will view it as a meaningless job.
It has been poison on my resume, unless the interviewer knew some planters personally, then it was a huge boost. So YMMV.
mcD

Post by mcD »

I think this really depends on what kind of job you are looking for. Talk about planting from a hard work self motivating point of view. Do you have management experience? Its pretty easy to get a management job in planting if you really want one. This is probably the most easily transferable experience you can get in the bush. Employers like organized self starters who can deal with people and problems.
I also totally disagree with talking up your degree. Yes, it was a large investment in time and money, but it isn't worth the paper its written on unless you have real world experience. Most employers that I know in fields outside of planting are still interested in what you can do, or learn to do, not where you went to school or what your GPA was.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Instead of emphasizing your degree, you could focus on the skills you acquired while completing it. If there are specific software applications you learned to use, such as mapping or statistical applications, play them up. DO NOT talk about your mastery of windows or MS Office ;)
Specific types of research (archival, field data collection, surveys, or what have you) also may hold value. This is another reason why I recommend performing a practicum or field placement, as such experiences are often more valuable on a resume than the degree. A good field placement can comprise its own entry in a resume.
If in doubt about putting planting on your resume, substitute with the term "Silvicultural Insertion Technician".
RPF

Post by RPF »

Nothing wrong with saying you planted trees for several summers while attending university. It's a good way to earn money to support your education, and it shows potential employers that you are not afraid of hard work.

Be proud of your planting experience. I was when I put tree planting on my resume while looking for my first job after university. I think it actually helped me land a job...