Joyce Murray

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
ohsnap
Replant Forums Highballer

Joyce Murray

Post by ohsnap »

Mrs. Brinkman is running for Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada. She's been in Parliament since 2008...
Apparently, she's the only Liberal candidate who 'supports' 'cooperating' with NDP and Green before the elections...

Does anybody else remember the Brinkman scheme a couple years ago where they said companies should be fair in their bids, and work together in the bidding war, then lowballed everyone and took home a lot of the contracts?

Correlations? Thoughts?
Screefhead

Re: Joyce Murray

Post by Screefhead »

On a related note, did anyone here get a email requesting donations for the Joyce Murray leadership bid from Brinkmart.

It would be a cold day in hell before I'd ever donate to a candidate endorsed by a greedy, sellout hippy like Dirk Brinkman.
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

also, i learned a new word today, found in the wonderful land of crackbook.

brinkmanship: the technique or practice in foreign policy of manipulating a dangerous situation to the limits of tolerance or safety in order to secure advantage, especially by creating diplomatic crises
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

That's a word that can be spelled two different ways. Many people use "brinksmanship" and either is acceptable.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
treeguy
Starting to Post

Post by treeguy »

I got the e-mail asking for donations.
unfortunately I do not agree with "a minimum of 40% women in all Gov’t appointed boards, panels and Cabinet,".
It is unethical in my opinion to higher and/or select people for gov't positions based on gender and not on credentials. If this was to happen there is a very large possibility that more qualified men would not get the position JUST because they are not female, which is not right IMO. If the women are the MOST qualified for the position then fair enough put them in. If 100% of the positions were filled with females because they were the most qualified candidates then, again, fair enough. But to higher or appoint people based on gender is wrong and I am pretty sure goes against Canadian labor laws.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

They built this kind of thing right into the Charter of Rights and Freedoms:

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.
Marginal note:Affirmative action programs

(2) Subsection (1) does not preclude any law, program or activity that has as its object the amelioration of conditions of disadvantaged individuals or groups including those that are disadvantaged because of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability. (84)
Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual »

Joyce Murray is likely the richest Liberal running for leadership. This article entitled "Trudeau not the only affluent Liberal leadership candidate" just came out today: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... rship.html

The article figures that Joyce Murray has 5 million in assets. Plus her and Dirk have a 1.4 million dollar house in Point Grey. Keep that in mind when Brinkman planters are complaining about shitty prices.

The article makes Dirk Brinkman sound like a comedian: "We hated being called hippies. The characterization of hippies has to do with unambitious, laid back, smoking dope, whatever. Not us."Indeed, Brinkman said they didn't allow meat or caffeine in camp, much less drugs... Emphasis mine.

Murray seems to have just copy and pasted her leadership campaign from Nathan Cullen's 'cooperation' bid to become NDP leader. That race is bit of a snoozefest for Westerners anyway since the Libs just have 4 seats west of Guelph (One each in Regina and Winnipeg plus two in Van). I wouldn't hold my breath that they are going to grow that number much in the next election.
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

Got the email today.
what a joke.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Lots of people assume Trudeau is a shoe-in (or a love-in) for the Lib leadership. This may or may not be the case, and it may be easy to dismiss leadership runs by people that do not appear to have a strong chance of succeeding. Keep in mind,however, that there are lots of reasons to run for leadership beyond actually getting it. For one, it boosts your popularity in your riding, and can help your chances of re-election- particularly if you think your party is in trouble in your region (be it west or east). It also raises your profile within the party and within society, providing support in future endeavours. In other words, it can be as much of a positioning move as an actual attempt to reach the top. I am by no means saying that Mrs. Murray is only looking to buttress her career with a leadership run. However, her run, and that of others, take a different shine when viewed within the context of her political and professional working environment.