Heart rate monitor

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
wtv
Regular Contributor

Heart rate monitor

Post by wtv »

I'm considering purchasing a heart rate monitor. I've never used one before.
I'm looking to improve my efficiency energy wise, but mostly I'm curious about general numbers: calories burned, average heart rate, distance travelled and even number of steps. Basically I'd like to compare my personal experience to the general numbers out there (i.e. planters burn 4000 cals a day!).

Most of them are classified according to type of exercise: running, biking, swimming, etc. So I'm not sure which best suits the treeplanting lifestyle.

Thoughts? Anyone use one regularly and can suggest a particular brand?
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Heart rate monitor

Post by theBushman »

Calories burned will be very difficult, as your bags get lighter, every step is fewer calories.

I'd think you want a fitbit or similar. Something on the wrist, sports oriented.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I'd be surprised if it was only 4000 calories. That makes sense in some situations (I probably burn only that amount on the coast, except when it's freezing rain, because I move a lot more slowly), but I've done lengthy stretches where my food intake was over 6000 calories/day. That's not the same as what's burned, but in the long term, it should be fairly close unless you're gaining weight.

If I had to guess, I'd say that 3500 (for slow planters) to 5500 is probably normal, with some people burning even more. It would also depend on the person's basic metabolism.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Selkirk found 4000-5000 calories, I think? Though given prices, it very well could be that this number'/range is rising.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
chrisdunn

Post by chrisdunn »

I'd say try a Fitbit.

Reason I say that, is my wife has one, and her and her friends are set up for online competitions. It makes it fun for them. That's all I really know about them. It motivates her knowing that someone walked more than her or climbed more steps.