The Blob / The Really Persistent Ridge / Epic El Niño

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

The Blob / The Really Persistent Ridge / Epic El Niño

Post by newforest »

So they say it will be a record El Niño this year in the Pacific. Will it break up The Blob (pool of warm water off the west coast of North America)? Will The Blob just have a party with the little Niño and make a Super Blob?

What will this do to The Really Persistent Ridge = The strong dip in the jet stream that brings the Polar Vortex on south of the Great Lakes while keeping the Rockies under a big dry High Pressure, like ALL the time. I often wonder how the physical geography of the mountains from Alaska to Mexico influence that pattern.

Or is the new Jet Stream pattern so sinuous, anything can happen?

What do you hear about the weather for the next six months?
newforest
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: The Blob / The Really Persistent Ridge / Epic El Niño

Post by newforest »

It's back.

I have lived through about 8 weeks straight of lower-than-average temps in the Lake Superior country, with the bonus of additional precipitation. Blob pushes Jet Stream up, has to come back down somewhere.

There was some news coverage of it in October. It was thought there were signs The Blob would break up. I don't think it has. Could be a long, Vortex-y winter.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: The Blob / The Really Persistent Ridge / Epic El Niño

Post by Scooter »

North Central BC has been unbelievably warm for the past six weeks compared to the past eight years. Most other years, I was sleeping temperatures down to as low as -18 Celsius, with -10 to -12 being normal at night. For the past four weeks, I think the coldest night-time temperature I've seen was about -6. Mind you, there was also a lot of sudden snow at altitude two weeks ago, that's made burning slash piles very difficult in many areas.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)