Hunting and Fishing in a Treeplanters Camp

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
Barbarian Planter
Starting to Post

Hunting and Fishing in a Treeplanters Camp

Post by Barbarian Planter »

So this year and during my season with Folklore, I would like to hunt, fish, and gather on the off days, just small game like squirrels, rabbits, and grouse, but I am unsure yet about the licensing I will need. Have other planters had any success with getting tags for small game, or are some species except from this, what about the rules of fishing, or bird hunting. This prospect may not pan out, but I do want to move into the world of hunting, or at least get some momentum to be able to later in the year. Has anyone hunted in a treeplanting camp before, I have fished a few times, and I am going to be on the lookout for roadkill or salvageable carcasses for potentially good meat to supplement camp food. (not that camp grub is less than kingly).
TripleS
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Hunting and Fishing in a Treeplanters Camp

Post by TripleS »

Fishing license is pretty straight forward, but hunting license requires you to be a resident of BC for previous 6 months I believe. You must also obtain a fish and wildlife ID, by passing a course (CORE), and have a non-restricted PAL if you plan on hunting with a firearm. Although having a firearm in camp would likely be problematic for your employer. You must also follow the regulations in the BC hunting synopsis. Grouse aren't open until the fall, since Spring is breeding season. Not sure about Alberta, but there are likely similar hoops to jump through. Hope this helps. You could always try to hunt grouse with a slingshot and hope no one reports you for poaching. I think there are even laws regarding roadkill harvest, best to call a conservation officer and hear what they have to say.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

TripleS gives good info.
Also, your employer will not want any of your hunting or fishing handling activities overlapping with camp space, that includes the management of meat or waste. The last thing anyone wants is any more reason for animals to be attracted to camp. Cooking your own meat in camp will be a problem, as you will likely not be permitted to do this at your tent or anywhere outside of the established food preparation areas...and those areas are controlled by the cooks who are unlikely to welcome additional meat and trimmings into their workspace. Of course, they cannot use any meat or fish you provide for camp purposes due to regulation.

Your best bet, is to stick to fish, and if you have your own wheels to pull up to a nice lake somewhere away from camp, catch some fish, and pan fry it on the spot....mmmmmmmmmmm.

That's the strict interpretation, but there are always exceptions. While planting, I've sampled shovel-killed grouse cooked on an engine block, fresh rainbow trout from a river near camp, and rabbit stew prepared in a campfire pot. Admittedly, that was 20 years ago, and life is stricter and more regulated now. Probably the key thing (outside of knowing the regulations) is to talk to you supervisor at the camp to make sure anything you do remains respectful of the camp set up and other workers.

Note- eating roadkill will quickly earn you an awesome nickname.
newforest

Post by newforest »

Check all the burned slash piles for Morels....
Cyper

Post by Cyper »

I'd suggest you hunt for someone of the opposite sex. I doubt a barbarian like yourself has other sexual preferences. We always have to be sensitive these days to all minorities and anyone who's not male. Canada has become a state of bleeding heart liberals. Of which I obviously am at east somewhat one. The idea of moving into the bush and immediately heading out to kill the local animal residents like squirrels, rabbits, and grouse is sickening. Go to a shooting range if you have to discharge a weapon. Play some violent video game. Leave the wild creatures alone. What gives you the right to execute them? Oh right, humans are smarter - not.
Barbarian Planter
Starting to Post

A stark example of ignorance, from a simple inquisition of interest to live naturally. Here's something to think about, you would not be here would it not be for strong hunters and gatherers who fought for their existence and hunted and killed animals. It is the human norm, and biologically appropriate diet. I would much rather be a steward of the land, and hunt sustainable, then buy my meat packaged up in plastic filled with nitrites, poisons and allergens. Before you lay down a mighty judgement on your peers before even knowing me, I suggest doing some research and being critical of yourself. I have no problems with finding appropriate women thank you, and I do not see how playing video games, (is this your idea of masculinity), and wasting my time when I can be doing something that requires fucking courage, skill, and bravery, not to mention high intelligence instead. I have no political views, only strong inclinations towards tribalism and community, where do you think the food and meat comes from? Do you also hate wolves because they hunt deer? or hate bears because they eat salmon out of the river? Oh, all the moose are destroying your precious landscape. Please refrain from pushing your narrow views on someone that you may actually have something in common with, and see a little of the world and how it works.

note: how many wild animals and environments were damaged to mine the metals to make the computer you write to me on, and how much compounded insect life is killed to mill the grain or harvest the fruit and vegetables that you eat? What about the vehicles you ride in, or the house you live in. If you are so afraid of death, that the sentiment of hunting scares you, you might be better staying indoors. I have an intimate respect the balance of nature, that is why I am a tree planter, a farmer, and work to preserve wilderness, and giving back what I consume everyday, your sentimental belligerence is ineffective and cowardly. Hunting and gathering is what has always made us human.
Cyper

Post by Cyper »

Sadly you've missed the point. I do however respect the bravery you refer to required for hunting squirrels, rabbits & grouse.

Once upon a time, long ago and far far away, humans were hunter gatherers. Back then there were few humans and many animals to hunt. Back then people had some pretty barbaric ideas but of course we humans tend to evolve and adapt to changing environments. This is not always the case when it comes to philosophies or religions. This is obvious from all of the strife and war going on around the world. People who are not ready to adapt to our new situation here on earth are often killing each other to defend outdated religions and beliefs.

I see how the world is working - or not and realize that unless we change our old ways, both we and the animals it once made sense to hunt will go the way of the Dodo. Just because others harm animals and the environment in the pursuit of the mighty dollar does not make it right to exacerbate the problem by also harming the natural world and its inhabitants.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Barbarian Planter wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:07 pm So this year and during my season with Folklore,
Whose camp are you in, out of curiosity? I know that Folklore has certain employment policies, such as complying with provincial laws, and not having firearms in camps. I think that your camp supervisor would be happy to talk to you about options. I suspect that such a discussion would focus on pursuits such as harvesting and enjoying edible wild plants and so on, rather than disturbing the local wildlife.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Barbarian Planter
Starting to Post

I will keeping these conversations closer to my heart and around the fire I think, since it seems this is not the platform to have an intelligent conversation about our most ancient and traditional human behavior. Obviously I am not walking on to a block with a shotgun waiting to take any moose in my cut, I know my limitations as well as my freedoms. I was merely interested in talking with other plantings about sustainable hunting, and managing game, as the human predator and meat eaters we biologically are.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

I would stick to birds and fish if I were in a planting camp. Mostly because they are the easiest to catch and process, but also because they will attract less negative attention than a deer or rabbit hanging in camp. I figure as long as you're within the regulations you have every right to eat wild meat, at least as much as the vegans and such have a right to have their choices respected.