Getting in Shape

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
southwestrepresent
Regular Contributor

Getting in Shape

Post by southwestrepresent »

eh guys
the season will be fast approaching.
Any good tips on excises to get ready for the bush.
I would also love to hear some wrist, ankle, knee excises as well
Cheers!
Leon
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting in Shape

Post by Leon »

southwestrepresent wrote:eh guys
the season will be fast approaching.
Any good tips on excises to get ready for the bush.
I would also love to hear some wrist, ankle, knee excises as well
Cheers!
I'm trying to follow this Fit to Plant thing myself (http://selkirk.ca/research/faculty/treeplanting/log) that I read about somewhere on these forums or tree-planter. Don't know if it actually works but it claims to reduce injuries by 40% or something. Someone else suggested a squishy stress ball for wrist strength I believe.
"The planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE! Pack your shit folks, we're going away."
Hugo Pants
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Hugo Pants »

Shinbox!
MiddleAgeMayhem

Post by MiddleAgeMayhem »

Can't say enough about how perfectly matched planting is with yoga. Especially for us older dudes.
robertsonja
Regular Contributor

Post by robertsonja »

Funny had someone tell me this year that yoga was a great way to get yourself ready for another season I thought he was joking till I tried it out it's pretty hard.
Greg
Regular Contributor

Post by Greg »

The fit to plant program is a good one. It definitely helps you with very specific strengthening and gets all the specific muscles in your arms and legs warmed up and ready for the a strenuous repetitive season. It is a great base for a program. After initially trying it out, you get the concepts of what the program is about and it is easy to make a specific program for yourself. Personally, I like a little more cardio before my season gets going, but it is definitely beneficial.

I feel like the advantages of making stretching part of your every day is something that is massively understated in the industry. I wonder what sort of production increase would take place if a yoga instructor came to camp nightly? Are there any camps have nightly yoga?

MAM - I definitely hear you on the yoga. It makes mornings much easier.
Keep on sluggin away..
jules

Post by jules »

Greg wrote:The fit to plant program is a good one. It definitely helps you with very specific strengthening and gets all the specific muscles in your arms and legs warmed up and ready for the a strenuous repetitive season. It is a great base for a program. After initially trying it out, you get the concepts of what the program is about and it is easy to make a specific program for yourself. Personally, I like a little more cardio before my season gets going, but it is definitely beneficial.

I feel like the advantages of making stretching part of your every day is something that is massively understated in the industry. I wonder what sort of production increase would take place if a yoga instructor came to camp nightly? Are there any camps have nightly yoga?

MAM - I definitely hear you on the yoga. It makes mornings much easier.

Quastuco had a deal with a local studio when I worked there a few years ago, and were offering something like $5 classes and free transportation twice a week or so. I don't think there was that much interest in it at the time, so they might not do it anymore. They're heavily into the Fit to Plant as well.
mel_eff

Post by mel_eff »

Don't go
Expect delays.
grouse grind
Starting to Post

Post by grouse grind »

Last season was my first one as a crew boss, and I seriously underestimated the cardio portion of the job. Walking/running the block several times over in a day + humping trees in land was brutal. Definately amping up the cardio in preparation for this upcoming season, and I will continue to practice yoga because it's good for the body and the mind!
I bend over for 7.5 cents.
ktkat
Starting to Post

Post by ktkat »

If you can afford it, hot yoga, I reccomend Moksha Yoga, is one of the best things you can do. you sweat your balls off and its super good for the old bod.
Mdomville
Starting to Post

Post by Mdomville »

Know that this subject is dormant, but I thought I'd share my secret. If you can afford it, get a powerball. Its a gyroscopic wrist and forearm trainer that works on somewhat centrifugal motion. Fun and easy way to make sure you don't get tendo. But it does cost about 40 bucks for the basic
Lewis
Regular Contributor

Post by Lewis »

I've always been turned off by the mystical new age stuff that seems to go hand in hand with yoga, though everyone keeps telling me how great yoga can be.

If you like working out at home, you can follow along to the fitnessblender hiit (high intensity interval training?) workouts on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +hiit&sm=3. Some of them are really tough, and it's the type of exercise advocated in the fit to plant routine.