Losing an Injured Worker on a Block

This one is pretty self-explanatory. This part of the forums is specifically intended to collect health, safety, training, and related information. Unsafe Is Unacceptable.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Losing an Injured Worker on a Block

Post by Scooter »

I was at a pre-work this morning and one of the things that came up was a safety issue that I have thought about many times, but I've never remembered to cover it in my safety meetings in my own camp. I want to mention it here, so hopefully it becomes food for thought throughout the industry in the coming years.

Occasionally, when a worker is injured, a second worker will discover that worker out on the block. Let's assume that this has just happened. Maybe you notice that your planting partner has just collapsed. Or maybe you're a foreman or a checker who just happens to come across an unconscious worker. It happens occasionally.

Let's assume also that even if you're trained in first aid, and know that you shouldn't leave the injured worker unattended, circumstances dictate that you are forced to leave the worker temporarily to get help. Let's say you don't have a radio, nobody is within calling distance, etc. So you go for help.

Herein lies the problem. Have you ever left your shovel or bags on a piece, looked carefully at the spot so you'd be able to find them right away when you come back, and then when you return, you can't find your shovel or bags? We've all done it. This is why we teach people not to leave their gear on their piece.

WHAT IF THAT LOST EQUIPMENT WAS THE INJURED WORKER??

If you ever have to leave an injured worker on the block temporarily, you MUST MARK THEIR LOCATION. All coastal planters carry flagging tape, and many Interior planters do too. Put some flagging up. You don't want to waste even one minute trying to find an injured worker. Don't put up a three foot piece of flagging. Put a twenty foot piece up, that cannot be missed. Put your jacket on top of a tall bush nearby. Hell, tie one end of the roll of flagging tape to the worker's arm and put the roll on a twig, and let the entire thing spool out for a hundred meters as you're running back to the truck to get help - the roll is only 99 cents. Don't waste time putting up six different pieces of flagging tape by the worker, but do something quick and efficient that absolutely cannot be missed when you and/or others are returning to the unconscious worker.

Nothing would be more tragic than to have one of your friends lying there on the block dying, and you can't find them.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
RPF
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Losing an Injured Worker on a Block

Post by RPF »

Hi-viz clothing, and carrying a whistle fastened to the shoulder straps would be a good idea in these situations. I've made both of these safety items mandatory for our planters for quite a few years. Even if the injured worker is unable to call for help, his partner could whistle for help, and if necessary place the hi-viz clothing so that it's easily visible from a road.
SwampDonkey
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Losing an Injured Worker on a Block

Post by SwampDonkey »

That, plus we are required to maintain/cut a safety trail between work strips while brushing. That would be one heck of time getting someone out and having to climb through hung up trees. Plus it makes for a nice walk in an out of the back of your block every day. I don't find it wastes time, you just have to know how to work smart. ;)
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry