Thoughts on Armour39?

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Wulf77
Regular Contributor

Thoughts on Armour39?

Post by Wulf77 »

So I've seen this new gadget being promoted on under armours website, Its a chest strap that records heart rate, intensity, calories and willpower for up to 16 hours, and then can download the data to your phone by bluetooth.(or up to the second information on an optional watch) Sounds like it could be something good for motivation to work harder and to measure how certain routines effect your energy level week by week(for example comparing a week drinking water to a week drinking gatorade to see if there's some improvement). At $169 its pretty expensive, and wont be released till late april / early may. Curious what other people think about using this for tree planting.

They say the battery lasts about 9 months, so don't have to worry about charging it. Though the biggest downside is it cant get wet, sweat is no problem as it has a casing and is made to wick away moisture but rain could be an issue.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/ca/en/a ... 9|FG4c1lBs
MattW
Regular Contributor

Re: Thoughts on Armour39?

Post by MattW »

Wait, you plant when it rains?

And how does it measure willpower?

You could get one of those nike plus doodads too. Those measure at least some of those. And you can stick it in your boot.
chrisdunn
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by chrisdunn »

That's 400 and taxes if you include the watch. I'd never bring a smartphone onto the block because the battery's watermarks set off even in a sweaty pocket.
evanodell
Regular Contributor

Post by evanodell »

I'm not seeing what the difference is between that UnderArmour thing and a regular heart rate monitor, which can be bought for cheaper, and works completely fine in the rain.
Wulf77
Regular Contributor

Post by Wulf77 »

Ah, well a regular heart rate monitor will just tell you what your hear rate is right now, even if it got a readout of 10 hours im sure it could be anaylzed in a million different ways so I don't think it would be really helpful. I saw the nike fuel band, it just seems to be a calorie counter though that you can set goals too :/ . I dunno, I like the idea of getting information on intensity level over 10 hours, willpower, which yeah im not too sure how they measure that, but it would be funny to see what time of day you have the most "willpower".(Im guessing not in the morning haha)
jules
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by jules »

Wulf77 wrote:Ah, well a regular heart rate monitor will just tell you what your hear rate is right now, even if it got a readout of 10 hours im sure it could be anaylzed in a million different ways so I don't think it would be really helpful. I saw the nike fuel band, it just seems to be a calorie counter though that you can set goals too :/ . I dunno, I like the idea of getting information on intensity level over 10 hours, willpower, which yeah im not too sure how they measure that, but it would be funny to see what time of day you have the most "willpower".(Im guessing not in the morning haha)
If you read their website, it's pretty clear that "willpower" is just the name of the 10-point metric they use to rate your workouts, based on intensity and duration.

But, I may have to get it, especially if it will give me graphs of things. I have a heart rate monitor with a wristband already, but it doesn't let me upload the data to another device for tracking. I'd be interested if I can just sync the UnderArmor monitor with their smartphone app once a day; it would be less useful to me if I have to have my phone on me while planting.
Jimbo the Mook
Regular Contributor

Post by Jimbo the Mook »

I'd like to try it just to see how my will-power stacks up to that of GSP's. I've always thought I could whoop that frenchie's ass in the octagon, now, thanks to the marvels of science and Under Armour, I can know the outcome before I actually make the career switch!!!
Wulf77
Regular Contributor

Post by Wulf77 »

it does say the device can hold about 16 hours of data, so it sounds like you can just turn it on and sync it later in the day with your phone / laptop to get the data. Oh, and im sure you'll beat GSP with enough will power, fighting is nothing but will power of course :P