Gloves for quadding

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Aeryk
Regular Contributor

Gloves for quadding

Post by Aeryk »

What are the best kind of gloves for keeping your hands warm while quadding at the beginning of the season? I was kinda thinking something like the type that dirt bikers where that have a hard shell on the tops to protect from branches whipping at you but Im not sure if these would be warm enough.
Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape
theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Gloves for quadding

Post by theBushman »

Many of the mechanic or racing type work OK, most of the time. Until you take them off wet and your body heat leaves them. For the days that cold and wet are a problem, I've done a couple things. The nitrile or rubber coated garden gloves are nice, keep the elements off of your hands and are grippy. Sticky when new. For the coldest, wettest days, white glove in a big rubber dipped leather one.

Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Paul- those look really interesting in that they have coating on the back as well as the palm. Do you think they could be used for planting?

A common problem with the half-dipped gloves that many planters use is that they wear out too quickly across the back, and the un-coated area on the back provides no barrier to chemicals. These seem to provide protection against those issues.

Also, the purple is very fetching.
theBushman

Post by theBushman »

Most of the planters I work with use the part dipped gloves, usually in bulk, or bare handed. The full dip is warmer, but the full dip wouldn't interfere with dexterity any more than the part dip.

The nitrile is really sticky when new, but the dirt dries it up. Then they either wear through or crack. Those that do wear gloves, do so because it is better for the glove to wear out than the skin.

I usually get gloves from Marks stores or large gas stations. Whatever is more accessible. Marks is a preseason or resupply run, gas stations in a pinch.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram
Greg M.
Forum Moderator

Post by Greg M. »

I have used/ seen dipped gloves with a layer of insulation in them. They are like the white cotton gloves with a thick rubber dip and not the nitrile dips I see most planters use. I'll try and find a name.

For the longest time I'd just buy a pack of the white ones and double up and alternate them on my dashboard to dry..if not on the dash then in my pants pocket to keep warm..
Aeryk
Regular Contributor

Post by Aeryk »

Thanks guys, heading up to ONO work and safety this week see what I can find
Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape
jakeb
Starting to Post

Post by jakeb »

http://www.onoworkandsafety.com/ATLAS-T ... p_457.html

I found these at ONO last year....best gloves for rainy/ cold quadding I have ever used in my 13 years. Great for when my hands get a bit tight/ tendo-twangy when it's cold/wet and I'm 'fighting' the quad, moving boxes, etc.

They are light enough that you are not fighting thick rubber for movement

Highly recommended.
Attachments
282.jpg
282.jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 3308 times