viberg...yay or nay?

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
donkeyrider
Replant Forums Highballer

viberg...yay or nay?

Post by donkeyrider »

Hey... the Markswork wearhouse thread prompted this question. I've been tempted to change up my boots in the last couple seasons From the black tust viking caulks to the caulked Viberg Boots. Most sales people boast that these boots have like a 3-5 year durability lifespan. After planting several seasons and never having the "orange monsters" last more then one season I have my doubts about Vibergs lasting that long. Has anyone actually spent the 300-400 dollars on these boots? What did you think?
Best way to kill flies: "throw your shovel at them"
krahn

Re: viberg...yay or nay?

Post by krahn »

those orange caulk boots? 3-400 bucks?? i mean i find them expensive but the two models i've used weren't that pricey.

i also thought they would last, but after a month and a half on the coast my vibergs [edit: those were vikings, not vibergs] were toast. these were the slighly shorter model. and others said the same about these, that they didn't last, most had various brands you could only find on the coast in forestry stores (not the planting gear shops) or even had custom made ones i think. i had a pair last year that went a bit higher, they were fine still but got swiped so not sure how long they woulda lasted.
Last edited by krahn on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The King of Nowhere
Regular Contributor

Post by The King of Nowhere »

300-400? yikes! if the salesman says they last several years, he doesn't know anything about treeplanting.....they never last more than 2...tops. i say a big fat Nay if you aint doing the coast (rather.... anything over 17 cents). they're too heavy and bulky...
Karen loved animals, but the Cheetahs betrayed that trust.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Vibergs are great, but you have to get the ones made by Viberg. They sell other knockoff brands at the store, I think they're about 350. The good ones I believe are at least 400. If you get those AND you take care of them they will last years. All you need to do to take care of them is treat them with whatever boot grease you want, and then try to keep them supple. NEVER dry them artificially. Just get used to putting on slightly wet boots in the morning. The only way they anything will happen to them is if they are constantly wet and dry, the leather will start cracking. you should even treat them before you put them away in the off season and store them in a plastic bag. I treated my first pair like crap and they still lasted me two seasons.

Any high quality gear you buy can last a very long time if you take care of it. Viberg puts a lot of effort into making really durable boots, but they can't do anything to prevent damage from careless treatment by the boots owner. I learn this lesson the hard way every year, since I'm so bad with taking care of my gear I have to buy all kinds of stuff each season, while the people who are putting effort into maintaining their equipment are showing up with all the stuff they've been using for years and never have to buy anything.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

The King of Nowhere wrote:300-400? yikes! if the salesman says they last several years, he doesn't know anything about treeplanting.....they never last more than 2...tops. i say a big fat Nay if you aint doing the coast (rather.... anything over 17 cents). they're too heavy and bulky...
Have you ever owned any? They're a lot lighter and less bulky than many models of hiking boots...
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
The King of Nowhere
Regular Contributor

Post by The King of Nowhere »

Yup.....while its true that they're not THAT heavy (vikings are probably heavier)...i still prefer lighter boots for interior work.
Karen loved animals, but the Cheetahs betrayed that trust.
krahn

Post by krahn »

oh wait, does Viking make an orange caulk as well? at first when i read Viberg in the thread title, i thought "tough, expensive boot" but then when i read it i thought i was getting them mixed up, but yeah maybe it was the other V company that i used... heavy, not durable.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

Vikings are known for their big orange mofos that do tend to fall apart after a season.

Vibergs are known for the big (almost) knee-high tough leather boots, often with the little frills at the toe, that last at least a couple of seasons. They come caulked or regular-soled. Everyone I know who has them swears by them. And, last I checked, you can have it sent back to the manufacturer, and they'll rebuild it for a modest sum. So yeah, they will last longer than just about any other boot.
graceh20
Starting to Post

Post by graceh20 »

i've been breaking in a pair for the past few weeks slowly..
they have a fantastic system where you call them with measurements and the boots you pick up are made for you alone. after treating, waterproofing and a few long days softening them up i hiked around in the bush for a couple of hours with bare feet inside. no blisters; not even any rubbing areas. had to do them up pretty tightly to decrease the extra room but i'm convinced my feet are finally going to love me at the end of the season.
a few years back i planted with both " clown shoes" (caulked army boots about 3 sizes too big) and the lace-up Vikings... the latter were much preferable obviously but there's no question they're put to shame by my new best friends.
The ones I bought were on the more expensive end of their product line; don't regret the purchase yet. fairly certain it will make up for itself at the end of the day.
good luck!
vacationer

Post by vacationer »

I like my Vibergs. After about 40 days they're in pretty good shape, I can see they'll last a lot longer than anything made of rubber. They hurt a lot at first but don't seem to anymore. They ARE very heavy, and I would not recommend them to anyone working on ground worth less than 20 cents. And no ankle support, but that stiff sole is great for lugging heavy bagups on steep blocks.
psi
Starting to Post

Post by psi »

I can't find anything on pricing of different models on their site, do you pretty much have to call them for that? Are the higher model numbers the more expensive ones or what? I'm guessing mail order is the only way to get these in ontario.
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

All I wear is Viberg. I think it all depends on foot size & what U want. I prefer the half & half and absolutely love them. My season is usually at least 100+ and I get about 120 - 150+ out of them . I also treat my gear like crap.But Its worth every penny. I know a lot of people do the bama socks - which I am soo against. I buy full felt liners which take up spacebut I have 2 pair and never worry about wetness. I can rock them on the coast and any steep ground. Would never trade them for anything else. I have tried the vikings(crap!), full leathers(once they R wet- well, their wet), the full rubber( no ankle support).
But, I dont mind spending 250$or 300 on a pair when I make 400- 450 average. If U are concerned about spending that money - think long term and how much U will actually save if U get a pair of boots that last a whole year and longer. If U go the Viberg factory, you can usually get a better deal buying direct- they R In Victoria. If U take care of Ur Boots they will take care of U!!
roughing it in the rough
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Vibergs are the bomb.

I don't like disagreeing with backcountrysister because she seems to usually makes the most sense of anyone.

My experience is the Viberg outlet in Victoria doesn't undercut the prices of their retailers. I have found that ONO trading has the best deals on boots, gloves and almost everything. They are on Vancouver Island and in North Vancouver. For the last 10 years, it's been my mainstay for gear.

http://www.onotrading.com/
backcountrysister

Hey, thats good to know- I just get my boots at the factory- U can still gets minor flawed boots for a little less- I should have been clear about that. Hey if you can get a better deal on a great product - More power to you!!
roughing it in the rough
JonBonBacon
Starting to Post

Post by JonBonBacon »

Which vibergs do you use and about how much do they cost?
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Well, after praising ONO, I have to say that I was not impressed with the phone conversation I just had with the Nanaimo store. I was calling to find out pricing on the 200-Woodsman boots that I wear and think are the best option (value-comfort) in caulk boots. The Nanaimo ONO told me that they do not carry that model and that they are only selling half and half Vikings. I have work those tanks (Viking Black Tusk) and would not do it again if I had Viberg to choose from. I have bought Vibergs from them for the past 10 years, and now they are pumping a far inferior product, disappointing. I called the North Vancouver ONO store to see is they sang a different tune. They as well do not carry the 200-Woodsman, but the guy was at least helpful and said he could order it in for me. $280.

I called Viberg themselves to get a price, $280, same.

I would recommend following backcountrysister's advice and go to the Viberg store in Victoria and see if you can get a deal on some "slightly flawed" boots. I remember going in there a few times and was offered a deal on some factory seconds. Personally, I could find no flaw. The thing was, back then, I could get Vibergs new at ONO for cheaper than the factory seconds at Viberg. Not any more.

Viberg 200-Woodsman $280

http://www.workboot.com/logger_boots/200_Woodsman

I should have just listened to the Sister, she's usually right on. Right on Sister!
backcountrysister

Rainman wrote:Well, after praising ONO, I have to say that I was not impressed with the phone conversation I just had with the Nanaimo store. I was calling to find out pricing on the 200-Woodsman boots that I wear and think are the best option (value-comfort) in caulk boots. The Nanaimo ONO told me that they do not carry that model and that they are only selling half and half Vikings. I have work those tanks (Viking Black Tusk) and would not do it again if I had Viberg to choose from. I have bought Vibergs from them for the past 10 years, and now they are pumping a far inferior product, disappointing. I called the North Vancouver ONO store to see is they sang a different tune. They as well do not carry the 200-Woodsman, but the guy was at least helpful and said he could order it in for me. $280.

I called Viberg themselves to get a price, $280, same.

I would recommend following backcountrysister's advice and go to the Viberg store in Victoria and see if you can get a deal on some "slightly flawed" boots. I remember going in there a few times and was offered a deal on some factory seconds. Personally, I could find no flaw. The thing was, back then, I could get Vibergs new at ONO for cheaper than the factory seconds at Viberg. Not any more.

Viberg 200-Woodsman $280

http://www.workboot.com/logger_boots/200_Woodsman

I should have just listened to the Sister, she's usually right on. Right on Sister!
After 17yrs of this , I hope I have learned a little through all the bad choices I made early in my career. Lets hope Our comments can help the Inexperienced in a positive step in the right direction- with less blisters and happy heads:)
roughing it in the rough
jusdepomme
Starting to Post

Post by jusdepomme »

Let’s bring this dead dog back—after five seasons of mediocre boots, I’m thinking of getting myself a pair of Viberg caulks for my first coast and was wondering if anyone has suggestions regarding specific models? There’re so many to choose from and at the price they go for I’d like to make the most educated purchase I can, especially since I plan on making em last.

Any thoughts regarding waterproofing, break-in, comfort post break-in, random personal preference, etc etc, of specific models would be much appreciated
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

for coastal work i would say NO. for the price buy 2 pairs of blue lightning non steel toe with neoprene liners and a good footbed. will always have a dry pair and can rotate, plus they are light. and you will not need to apply leather treatment all the time if wet conditions.

i wore vibergs for years, and while they are a great built boot, so many better options out there. and if you get consecutive wet days vibergs SUCK, sure you can keep wearing, but my god are they ever heavy.

another thing to note; vibergs can be brutal to break in (although, once broken in they can be very comfortable) for the full leathers. And if the hybrid rubber/leather, you may be a lucky one they fit well, but i have had nasty experiences with the hybrids and rub (way back they had an awesome orange botton hybrid, but the newer bottoms they use are horrible (at least for me))

the other option i did for years is custom caulk leather hiker. supremely comfortable, but once again consecutive wet days can be a chore (you can dry one pair overnight sometimes, but it is hard on the leather of the boots) My dream scenario for years was 2-3 pairs custom leather caulks to always have a dry pair. But that is pricey.

blue lightnings can be bought in many locations, easy for contractors or others to grab from a store if you need. all in all a practical and very functional boot.

on another note, vibergs have stif soles generally as well so if you are not a true slash walker may find stiff. blue lightnings are much more flexible and grip slash much better with their more flexible sole.
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

some longer ruff-side out welders composite toe have done the trick for me, bought them on my rookie year, but you have to treat them well, like wax etc, but yeah waterproof and will last you several seasons, for around 350 CAD
CRITICAL THINKING WITHOUT HOPE IS CYNICAL, AND HOPE WITHOUT CRITICAL THINKING IS NAÏVE