scarpa's

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
donkeyrider
Replant Forums Highballer

scarpa's

Post by donkeyrider » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 pm

Allo everyone,

I saw that several of the regular posters are promoters of the scarpa brand boot. I bought a pair of boots but I've been hiking in them for like 5 months so there getting a little used. I want to buy one and only ONE new pair of boots for the upcoming season and I looked at the scarpas on the MEC page. Are these scarpas the one shot boot. Weight doesnt really matter to me, and I like the fact that they're leather and not gortex. Non caulk are also a pref for me this season. Sorry this is a little scattered, but I guess the question is what boot will most sucessfully last an entire season. The scarpa's look sweet I'll probably buy them but I wouldnt mind some feedback from anyone who has tried them out.

thanks a bunch
Best way to kill flies: "throw your shovel at them"

Seabass

Re: scarpa's

Post by Seabass » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:25 pm

I'm going with the same pair of zamberlans I wore last season and am pretty certain they'll get me through the entire season comfortably along with keeping my feet dry. All leather, only seam is on the back, and a gore-tex liner. They're also super light.

Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Scarpa's are good, I used them seismic in the mountains and they held up for three months with only minor tearing and heel wear.

I swear by Hanwag's now, however. The Yukon is probably exactly what you'd be looking for. Track'n Trail are the only people in Canada I know that carry them:

http://www.trackntrail.ca/HanWagProducts.htm

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Nate, I remember Zap from Windfirm recommending those too...
Any idea how much it runs for a pair? And how is it for waterproffness etc?

Glen B
Starting to Post

Post by Glen B » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:15 pm

The Viberg factory in Victoria also carries Hanwags. The two people who I've talked to who have worn them swear by them. The eyelets have ball bearings in them which makes tensioning the laces quite sweet apparently.

Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 am

Glen B wrote:The eyelets have ball bearings in them which makes tensioning the laces quite sweet apparently.
Best footwear innovation ever.

Good to know about another place in Vancouver too.

Hanwag's run $300-500.

donkeyrider

Post by donkeyrider » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:15 pm

seemed a little late for the hanwags even though they loked awesome, but I went with a pair of scarpa m3s... they were too narrow for my EEEE feet but my girlfriends works at an orthopedics store and she can get the width stretched for me... so all in all it was pricey... I almost bought the rainche kooteny 5's they seemd almost exactly the same only a better fit, and the vibram sole seemed a little bit soft and breakable. Has anyone tried the kooteny 5s?
Best way to kill flies: "throw your shovel at them"

Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:58 pm

I just picked up a pair of Vasque's for $200 at Everest in Jasper. Not sure how they'll hold up, but they've got vibram soles, a similar bar-bearing lace system (trust me, it's worth the money), and what appears to be good support. Goretex leather. We'll see.

Dogmusher

Post by Dogmusher » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:37 pm

So , how were the Vasque boots
Happy trails

Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 pm

Dogmusher wrote:So , how were the Vasque boots
One year belated response, but they were terrible unfortunately. I'll never by Vasque again.

DaniPhoenix
Starting to Post

Post by DaniPhoenix » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Nate wrote:
Dogmusher wrote:So , how were the Vasque boots
One year belated response, but they were terrible unfortunately. I'll never by Vasque again.
Yeah no I coulda told you that. ;)

I used to work at MEC so I will say this:

I have a pair of OLD salomons that i'd had forever and i planted the summer plant in them and they rocked. But salomon makes a lot of cheaper boots now, so I would go top of the line.

zamberlans, scarpas, raichle (now owned by mammut so now they say mammut), and gronell.. all the high-end backpacking (not dayhiking) and mountaineering boots are solid. NOT the MEC brand, the asolos, or any other junk brand from freakin campers village.

i'm taking my mammut kootenays out this season so I"ll let you know how that goes...

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 pm

I'd like to add sportivas to that list.