Zamberlan Vioz GT Backpacking Boots

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
twitch
Regular Contributor

Zamberlan Vioz GT Backpacking Boots

Post by twitch »

hey,

I'm in the market for a new set of boots for my upcoming interior season and am very interested in Zamberlans Vioz GT boot. I was wondering if anyone out there has used them planting before or even otherwise . They're definitely comfortable and mostly one piece leather which is good. any thoughts?
Seabass
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Zamberlan Vioz GT Backpacking Boots

Post by Seabass »

I've used the same pair for the last 2 seasons in the BC interior. They're now my winter boots and they'd be good to go for a 3rd season if I was planting this year. The sole will peel a bit at the toe but it's not too bad. They're still quite waterproof, although I was in the habit of cleaning my boots and applying a new layer of waterproofing agent on each day off which probably helps a lot. The Zamberlans are super light as well and amazingly durable. In my opinion you really can't go wrong for the money. I'll see about taking a picture of them and posting it tomorrow.
twitch
Regular Contributor

Post by twitch »

thanks for the info!
newb

Post by newb »

Last year I had the Scarpa SL M3 and they were not bad but I want to try something else.

I am thinking about getting the Zamberlan Vioz Gt, but I am just worried about the toe being a little soft…

I also really like the Hanwag boots that “Nate” has recommended but they are hard to find. Lowa makes boots that are similar to the Hanwag but they aren’t as comfortable as the Zamberlans.

Any other recommendations?
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

newb wrote:Last year I had the Scarpa SL M3 and they were not bad but I want to try something else.

I am thinking about getting the Zamberlan Vioz Gt, but I am just worried about the toe being a little soft…

I also really like the Hanwag boots that “Nate” has recommended but they are hard to find. Lowa makes boots that are similar to the Hanwag but they aren’t as comfortable as the Zamberlans.

Any other recommendations?
Unless you're kicking shit all the time you won't have to worry about the toe being soft. The toes on mine are fine
thatguy
Regular Contributor

Post by thatguy »

lowa are awesome i used them all last season with no problems and i would really recommend them to everyone
newb

Post by newb »

hey Seabass,
Have you tried the Zamberlan Pelmo GT RR? They are very similar to the Vioz gt...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 5561324818
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

For what it's worth, I'm going to be trying out the Vioz GT this year (and that decision was made before this thread if that's worth anything). Although I really liked my Hanwag's, I'm not sure their durability is as great as I'd once thought (though it's still well above average), and I ruined my current pair by not keeping up with leather treatments.

FYI if you buy any sort of high-end boot, regularly protect it, especially if it's leather. Besides slowing down wear and tear, it also helps keep the shape of the boot. I allowed mine to freeze while wet without proper protection once too many times and I can't wear them comfortably anymore.

If anyone's considering buying Keen's, by the way, DON'T. Although I love their sandals and 'everyday' footwear (I have their Tarhee II shoe and Kreek sandal, which are two of the best footwear purchases I've made in my life) their trekking/hiking boots are terrible for durability/breathability and even (somehow) water protection. I've now had two of their supposedly more rugged trail boots (can't remember their names off hand) and they were incredibly disappointing. What makes Keen so good, by the way, is their attention to comfort, especially their soles, which are rivaled only by a pair of Berks IMO.

Hanwag's are available at Monod in Banff and Trekk and Trail in Edmonton and I think that's it for Canada if anyone's interested. Nowhere in either Vancouver or Calgary or PG to my knowledge carries them.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

newb wrote:hey Seabass,
Have you tried the Zamberlan Pelmo GT RR? They are very similar to the Vioz gt...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 5561324818
I've never seen those before. They look like the Vioz with some added rubber in the right spots... Honestly, I'd check the Pelmo out right beside the Vioz and see if there's any other differences. The big thing I'd be interested in is how durable that rubber is. If the boots are the same and you think the rubber will hold up and be durable to slash then it will most definitely save the leather of the boots from damage.

One thing that does concern me with the Pelmo is the area between the sole and the boot. It looks quite permeable. The Vioz has hardened rubber between the sole and the boot. Depending on how wet your season is, I'd be concerned about that area breaking down much in the same way steel toe work boots will. Just based on that I'd be sticking with the Vioz personally. That's just me though and I'm pretty particular with my equipment. If you feel that the Pelmo would be a good boot for the season, go for it.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

As promised, pics of the boots after 2 seasons of use
DSC03153.JPG
DSC03153.JPG (156.81 KiB) Viewed 13046 times
DSC03150.JPG
DSC03150.JPG (152.94 KiB) Viewed 13046 times
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

More pics of the boots. The circled area on the sole is a spot that's slightly broken from kicker use. It's very minor but I thought it was worth noting anyway. As I said earlier the soles have peeled only slightly at the toe and I need to clean them up and re-glue it again. You'll also notice deterioration on the walls of the boots from slash and what not. I wear gaiters which is why the top 1/3 is way shinier than the rest of the boots. The laces were new at the start of last season mostly because the gaiters had broken one of the original laces. Be sure to have an extra set of laces for the season just in case. Pardon the dog hair, I have a siberian husky and she's starting to shed. You'll also notice that the red parts of the sole have faded in places, but I'm pretty sure it's just painted on so nothing to worry about.
Attachments
DSC03160.JPG
DSC03160.JPG (149.21 KiB) Viewed 13045 times
DSC03159.JPG
DSC03159.JPG (150.21 KiB) Viewed 13045 times
DSC03157.JPG
DSC03157.JPG (153.57 KiB) Viewed 13045 times
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

I wish boot manufacturers would make ball-bearing eyelets standard, it's the only real knock I can find on those. It makes such a difference on a daily basis.
twitch
Regular Contributor

Post by twitch »

If you're worried about the toe, you can take them to a cobbler and get the toe capped for fairly cheap. That's what i planned on doing with mine.
SpACEwOOz
Regular Contributor

Post by SpACEwOOz »

I suggest you try the LA SPORTIVA GLACIER. They are just awsome. I planted 2 years with mine but i'll get a new pair as the sole start to be a little slick...
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

I'm rockin the La Sportiva Glaciers right now too, and they're probably my favorite boot so far (after 7 seasons of planting/foremaning). Comfortable, waterproof and durable. Expensive, but they last.
Also, TAKE CARE OF YOUR BOOTS! If you buy a good pair, and treat them regularly, they'll stay waterproof longer and last beyond a season.
newb

Post by newb »

I just got the zamberlan gt vioz. By far the most comfortable boot at MEC
Thanks for the help
marlborough
Starting to Post

Post by marlborough »

i got the same boot. wearing them right now just to make sure theyre right. i plan to apply beeswax every week or so. god theyre comfortable right now and i havent even broken them in yet (actually they feel a little tight around the heel, but that should get better). this should be a good season.
somesilviguy

Post by somesilviguy »

I'd just like to point out that MEC's website has a used gear section with pics and all the norm but usually for higher end gear people. I'd like a pair like but can't bring myself to spend that much. It's best (of course) if you're an average shoe size, I'm finding it hard to find good cheap used boots like these for my freakish size 12 feet.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

I haven't noticed this thread before... I got the vioz last year for some prospecting work, and I can already tell they won't last the season. They scuff SO easily, things that should even leave a mark make big scratches in them. A friend of mine said he had a scratch become a gaping hole in just a few weeks of planting. I guess they're so comfortable because the leather is so soft. Oh well, hopefully they fall apart fast so I can upgrade to these:

http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2010/10/08/z ... -gt-boots/

DROOOOLLLL... Anyone have these yet? They look amazing.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
The Rev

Post by The Rev »

TheHamsterizer wrote: http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2010/10/08/z ... -gt-boots/

DROOOOLLLL... Anyone have these yet? They look amazing.
I love the fact that they compare their weathering to a "classic Land Cruiser or a vintage Rolex" ... sophisticated company indeed!
mel_eff

Post by mel_eff »

Damn, if only I was developmentally delayed enough to spend $400 on a pair of boots.
Expect delays.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

I have no idea if the last few posts are supposed to be sarcastic or what, you people are confusing me.

100$ mec boots will last a season or less.

200$ boots might last a couple.

300$ boots better last a long time, but I've been dissapointed in the vioz so far, the leather is too soft.

The new zamberlans are 400$, but they look rock solid- they have the toe guard that the vioz sorely needed, and a welted sole that can be replaced. Buying these boots has nothing to do with being developmentally delayed!
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
dusty
Regular Contributor

Post by dusty »

I bought the Zamberlan Vioz GT boots last season and they have been the best boot I have ever owned. For my first few seasons I was taking advantage of their return policy and 'renting' boots from Mark's but finally spent for some quality boots at MEC. Worked out to around $310 after taxes, best planting investment I've ever made.

They were super comfortable right from the get go and it didn't feel as though they needed breaking in. The leather is soft yeah, but do you really expect them to stay pristine after a season of planting? No. Never had any issues with water getting in, all the seams are intact. The only issue, as others have mentioned, is that they could definitely use a toecap. You can see in the photo that the front tip of one boot started coming off. If you want them to last you definitely need to take care of them. I used Nikwax for waterproofing and keeping the leather supple. You can get it at MEC, probably other places too. And Shoe Goo, if the rubber sole starts coming off or for any cracks that may develop.

The boots pictured were used one full season of planting, and two months of surveying work. At the very least, I can easily see them lasting another two seasons.

Nikwax:
http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/pr ... tivityid=1

Shoe Goo:
http://eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm
Attachments
Fresh Wax.jpg
Fresh Wax.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 12710 times
Toe Cap.jpg
Toe Cap.jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 12710 times
Nice.jpg
Nice.jpg (82.56 KiB) Viewed 12710 times
kife
Regular Contributor

Post by kife »

I got a pair of the Vioz a few years ago. The leather is too thin and too soft - they lasted me about 4 weeks before the sole was falling off and there was a hole near the toe. Useless for the price. For the same amount of money the Scarpa ML3 is a much better buy - much thicker leather, more durable. A toe rand would be nice for both of these boots, especially for the vioz.
newb

Post by newb »

I would have to agree that the Scarpa SL M3 is a much tougher boot (thicker leather, thicker soles, and overall more durable), and they would definitely last longer (especially if your kicking rocks and sticks).

Although others really liked the boot, I will never go back planting with a pair of SL M3.

When wet, they are much heavier then the Zamberlan Vioz. That durable thick leather seems to soak up way more water.

Also, the durable thick sol makes it really hard on your feet, especially when you have to wear them for 8-10hours a day. Felt like walking on cement.

I find the Vioz well worth it considering they provide much more cushion, comfort, and support.

I guess it is all personal preference?
kife
Regular Contributor

Post by kife »

It is personal preference for sure...

However, the wet argument doesn't hold true for me. The area I plant in (High Level) is predominantly wet. Precisely because the leather is much thinner in the Vioz, and because the nature of the land in this area means that day in and day out the boots are exposed to consistently wet, swampy conditions without the ability to fully protect the boots on a daily basis, these boots are destined to fail as the thin leather cannot handle the constant wetness eventually becoming full of holes. Essentially the leather disintegrates. If it had a toe rand, or even a full rand around the base this situation could be remediated. As such, I can only say that the boot might perform okay in some areas, but only in areas which are relatively slashless and dry, such as the Okanagan or Quesnel/Williams Lake type areas. It is definitely not a boot for far N. Alberta.
dusty
Regular Contributor

Post by dusty »

Let me go ahead and retract some of that praise I spewed in a previous post. Although these were definitely some damn comfortable boots, they went ahead and assploded on me not 3 weeks into last season. They developed two small holes (which looked like little puncture marks...) in a crease right above where the left ball of your foot would be. Down the tubes goes the waterproofing. But all is not lost, they are still holding strong. Oh wait no they're not! About 4 days of use after the holes gaped, and all was indeed lost.

As for how long these boots were used:

- One season of planting, maybe 60-70 days or so.
- Two additional months of forestry surveying work until it got too cold out to wear them (they are not good in snow).
- Three weeks of the next planting season.

I definitely took good care of these boots as far as I was able. I used Nikwax waterproofing every 10-14 days. I tryed creating a Shoogoo toecap (seen in previous pictures) but it sloughed off in no time. I think it may have been that I left them caked in mud a tad too long and that somehow helped in drawing moisture out of the leather making it brittle? Anyway.

This season I am going with some Asolos with a Freesole toecap. Here is the link. http://www.asolo.com/eng/prod_det.php?a ... &itemid=27
Attachments
vioz3.jpg
vioz3.jpg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 12491 times
vioz2.jpg
vioz2.jpg (68.31 KiB) Viewed 12491 times
vioz1.jpg
vioz1.jpg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 12491 times