BOOTS backpacking boots VS mounteering boots

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
joshwords
Starting to Post

BOOTS backpacking boots VS mounteering boots

Post by joshwords »

For previous seasons I've always used Asolo backpacking boots but I've wondered about mountaineering boots. I don't have any experience with mountaineering boots. They look like they would be hard like a ski boot but again I am unsure of this. Does anyone have experience with mountaineering boots for planting or in general?
Casper
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: BOOTS backpacking boots VS mounteering boots

Post by Casper »

Yeah I had some La Sportiva and this year I'm with the Scarpa. It's pretty darn expensive, but I really like it. The sole is perfect for walking on the block, it supports the ankle very well. It's a pain to walk on concrete tho. There is no small, weak parts that usually comes off after a couple weeks, and then the remaining of the boots follow. They last a couple years if you take care of it, unlike some light backpacking boots. Just my two cents, everyone thinks different regarding to boots, I've seen people planting with rubber boots...
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

Scarpas, definitely. I bought a pair midway through the 2009 season and they're still kicking (no pun intended). They've probably seen well over 200 days of work (I use corks in the interior sometimes). Some of the stitching is just starting to go, and I shrunk the left one a bit next to a fire, so I think that's all the planting they will see, but they're still great for regular hiking. I'll probably be buying another pair in April.

A friend bought a pair of Asolos the same day I bought those and they didn't even last that season, but maybe he just got a bad set.
joshwords
Starting to Post

Post by joshwords »

I appreciate the advice guys, but I'm not talking about brands to choose from. I'm talking the type of boots.
Backpacking boots are your basic heavyduty thick leather boots about 4 inches above the ankle.
Mountaineering boots are pretty much the same shape but involve plastic at times, thick rubber, and I believe are alot more stiff.
The pictures are examples. Has anyone used the mountaineering type?

Backpacking http://www.shoestoboot.com/images/asolo ... _brown.jpg

Mountaineering http://www.besportier.com/images/asolo-afs.jpg
Casper

Post by Casper »

Never tried the plastics boots on planting, I do some winter hiking/camping with my Scarpa Inverno tho, and I wouldn't recommend it for planting. First, it hot as hell, as you might expect it from a mountaineering boots. It could lead to humidity problems on your feet, even if you use the proper socks. Also, they are heavier than necessary for planting. You just don't need that kind of rigidity if you don't plan to put some crampons on. Again, just my two cents, maybe it's the best thing ever, but I doubt it.
joshwords
Starting to Post

Post by joshwords »

The humidity and weight problem makes sense.
Thanks.
eisan
Regular Contributor

Post by eisan »

I was writing a reply that was basically the same as Caspers last night when my computer froze. The only plus of the plastic shell are that they last forever, and you don't have the maintence that you have with leathers. They are however made for mountaineering, not planting. Very different sports.
Leather 3 season mountaineering boots however I love for planting. If you take the time to get them good and broken in preseason and remember to look after them, otherwise they'll be trashed in a season.
joshwords
Starting to Post

Post by joshwords »

Thanks Eisan.
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

Whatever. I know many people that plant in caulked scarpa invernos and love them. Shells last forever. They always have dry boots since the liner can be taken out and dried. You can also buy spair liners. I will only use sportiva nepals that have been caulked. And they do not slow me down at all. I'm a light guy and like the rigid soles as I notice the that my feet are not nearly as sore at the end of the day. way better on steep ground as well with the stiffer sole. Been planting over 15 years and they are by far the best.
Last edited by chronic on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
joshwords
Starting to Post

Post by joshwords »

I'll keep that in mind.
Brandini
Regular Contributor

Post by Brandini »

I picked up a pair of asolo granite mountaineering boots mid season. Leather, goretex, and rubber protection on toe and sides. Until then I rocked backpacking boots for 4 years. I found mountaineering to be less breathable, more waterproof, heavier, offer more support, and no pain if I kick a hard object. The tread is so hard you slip easier on wet wood. They seem indestructible, and work well with snowshoes and crampons for the off season.

I'd wear backpacking boots for easy land, mountaineering for screefing and slashy challenging terain, and caulked boots for log scrambles and the famous bcts dinner plate screef.
MattW
Regular Contributor

Post by MattW »

Im going planting this season with a pair of Invernos from MEC. Typically, warm feet doesnt bother me much so Im hoping this isn't an issue. I planted last season with steeltoed work boots, big orange vikings, and walmart 12$ rainboots, and each were hot as fuck by the end of a day anyways.

Has anyone else planted in regular Invernos recently?
MattW
Regular Contributor

Post by MattW »

Heres a follow-up on the Scarpa Invernos.

For 320$, it was a good investment. If you can, grab a used pair because these can go through hell and function perfectly fine. I logged 45 planting days on these boots and they have many scratches throughout with some minor wear on the soles. The way the laces are setup, you will blow through about a lace every two weeks. Due to the boot being plastic, the laces dont dig into the boot as they do on leather boots and get shredded on anything you walk through.

I was lacing mine up wrong at first and managed to bust a few stiches on the tongue, but I stiched that back together well enough.

They are very comfortable walking on a cutblock because the stiff ankle support makes the cushy cutblock feel more solid, and reduces strain on your calves. I had zero shinsplints in these boots, and no foot pain. Just through an insole in because you'll need some cushioning when youre walking on roads.

I figure I'll be able to get a few more seasons in these before I have to get the sole replaced from screefing.
JAYTEE
Starting to Post

Post by JAYTEE »

Casper wrote:Never tried the plastics boots on planting, I do some winter hiking/camping with my Scarpa Inverno tho, and I wouldn't recommend it for planting. First, it hot as hell, as you might expect it from a mountaineering boots. It could lead to humidity problems on your feet, even if you use the proper socks. Also, they are heavier than necessary for planting. You just don't need that kind of rigidity if you don't plan to put some crampons on. Again, just my two cents, maybe it's the best thing ever, but I doubt it.

Casper, just wondering which boot gave u the ankle support? had an ankle injury, so iam also considering getting a rigid mountaineering style boot. What was the boot called besides just the brand?

thanks.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I tried a pair of Koflachs for a bit (Plastic mountaineering boots). Ditched them after half a day. Made me walk like C3P0.