Best CSA approved boots for tree planting?

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
Wulf77
Regular Contributor

Best CSA approved boots for tree planting?

Post by Wulf77 »

Hey, so I'm going to alberta to tree plant at the start of may. Ive been looking through gear and am having a hard time choosing which boots to get. I do a lot of backpacking but my last boots are kind of finished , and I was hoping to get a good pair for the job and using them for hiking afterward. In the manual I have it says they have to be CSA approved steel toed boots, so I was hoping someone could recommend a pair for me to get. My original thought was to go to MEC and get a good pair of Zamberlans, would they fit the requirement?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Best CSA approved boots for tree planting?

Post by Scooter »

Most licensees stipulate steel toes, but very few ever check. If you get a solid pair of mountain boots without steel toes, I don't think you'll have a problem (unless maybe you're doing a job where you're planting leases for an oil company).
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Monsterbuds
Starting to Post

Post by Monsterbuds »

Go with the zam's they have lasted me 2 seasons already and are going onto their 3rd. As for them checking both the previous 2 and this year I will be planting in ontario where it is mandatory to wear steel toe boots.I haven't yet been asked if I'm wearing steel toe and they don't look like steal toes at all.The way I look at it is the only reason we are suppose to wear them is so we don't hit ourselfs in the foot, but if your gonna hit your foor with your shovel and there is all this land around you shouldent be planting
Wulf77
Regular Contributor

Post by Wulf77 »

Thanks for the tips! decided on the zamberlan tofane. Found them very comfortable and love the old-fashion look, they also seem to have a rock hard toe and kind of look steel toed with the toe cap so I hope ill be okay even if they are sticklers about that stuff.(figure worse case ill have to go into town and buy a new pair). Now to focus on the rest of my planting gear
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

Found a pair of Zam's at Calgary MEC 30% off because they'd be worn once or twice then returned.

Check the clearance area at MEC. Also got a Camper 4 tent for $189 down from $249.
Wulf77
Regular Contributor

Post by Wulf77 »

Wow, lucky! I was considering waiting till I get to edmonton to buy a lot of my gear(Save 8% on PST, $30+ off the boots I got alone) but they were sold out everywhere in my size :( I actually had to have them ordered over the phone, and they just happened to have 1 pair left at a store. On the website it said 4-5 week wait!

I also usually check MEC often, I love when they clear out the old models.(I remember the pro-lite plus sleeping pads 30% off to like $50-$60). I was considering getting a larger tent, but I figure if I need more space then my 2-person tent + tarp I can just get a cheap tent at walmart then throw it out at the end of the season.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

Wulf77 wrote:Wow, lucky! I was considering waiting till I get to edmonton to buy a lot of my gear(Save 8% on PST, $30+ off the boots I got alone) but they were sold out everywhere in my size :( I actually had to have them ordered over the phone, and they just happened to have 1 pair left at a store. On the website it said 4-5 week wait!

I also usually check MEC often, I love when they clear out the old models.(I remember the pro-lite plus sleeping pads 30% off to like $50-$60). I was considering getting a larger tent, but I figure if I need more space then my 2-person tent + tarp I can just get a cheap tent at walmart then throw it out at the end of the season.
If you have a solid 2-person already, the cheap tent/throw out option works really well, did that for a few years. I just kept the good tarp I had each year.