Bama Socks & Orthotics / Special Insoles

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
Sowsun
Regular Contributor

Bama Socks & Orthotics / Special Insoles

Post by Sowsun »

Hey folks,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience / insight on whether wearing Bama socks affects the usefulness of Orthotics or other kinds of special insoles. I'm asking because I'm purchasing new boots this year, and also using special 'barefoot science' insoles for a flat foot I have. I'm wondering if I should be looking for boots that are the customary half a size larger (to fit the bama socks) or if I should just go with Merino Wool socks and the insoles, without the bamas.
bdbrown
Regular Contributor

Re: Bama Socks & Orthotics / Special Insoles

Post by bdbrown »

The only place for bama socks that I understand is with Vikings, which I deem to be the worst planting footwear available. It seems that if a boot isn't made to be compatible with a winter liner there isn't enough room for custom insoles and Bamas, and buying oversized boots to accommodate Bamas always seemed like a risk to me. The technology is great and I do use bama socks to dry out wet boots, but they aren't made to be nice to your feet.

Leather hikers + Orthotics with a poly/merino sock combo and gaiters should equate happy dry feet.

IMO bama socks do more damage than good, and with few exceptions(Rainy day backup vikings) your feet will be better off avoiding them.
Sowsun
Regular Contributor

Post by Sowsun »

This is funny bdbrown - that is the exact conclusion I came to while shopping at MEC today. I'll be doing precisely what you said -Socks & Gaitors for my Leather Hiking Boots and the Socks & Bamas for my Viking boots.
bdbrown
Regular Contributor

Post by bdbrown »

Now you just gotta keeps your eyes on your flash new gear.. I've paid for many a planters pair of gently used gaiters over the years (two pairs walked away just this last season), everyone loves 'em but nobody wants to pay.. happy planting