Best boots?

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
Matthewklondon
Starting to Post

Best boots?

Post by Matthewklondon »

I know this is one of those "whatever works best for you" situations. And depends on whether caulks/steel toes are required by contract.

But I'm honestly looking for opinions on the best boots you have worked in. The pair that kept you working every single day. Ones geared towards keeping you protected, from Trench-foot. Blisters. Injury Etc.

Opinions?
fluffer
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Best boots?

Post by fluffer »

If you want to save yourself a few hundred bucks and get a solid all-purpose boot that will get you through as well as any other buy a pair of old leather combat boots from an army/navy surplus. In the interior I've found that two pairs work fine for me. One gets wet, I use the other. There are of course days when more specialized boots would be better but for a solid all purpose boot these things do the trick and they generally run from free to 25$/pair. They are used but being broken-in is an advantage in my opinion.
Aeryk
Regular Contributor

Post by Aeryk »

Fluffer hit the nail on the head. Combats have held up better for me than any $300 backpacker or mountaineering boot I have ever used
Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape
Matthewklondon
Starting to Post

Post by Matthewklondon »

THANK YOU!!! It's so simple. Yet so effective. Seriously I somehow never thought about combats? But I mean those dudes would hike though similar terrain and NEED boots that last and don't fuck their feet to shit. Season 2015. We're going full marine. Now I guess the question is Full fatigues? Or airborne jumpsuit? When in doubt. Wear a onesie.
Aeryk
Regular Contributor

Post by Aeryk »

That being said I am glad to have a pair of calks as well as the combats for any wet steep blocks or even a contract that needs a lot of screefing because the treds are not fantastic on combats
Alas! how little does the memory of these human inhabitants enhance the beauty of the landscape
retrovertigo
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by retrovertigo »

Anyone in the Victoria area in need of new boots (or just a cheap pair of back-ups), get thee to Value Village. Someone must have cleaned out an old storage locker in some forestry business somewhere but there's all kinds of caulks and quality hikers there now. Picked up a pair of Asolo hikers with practically full tread on them for 9$. Insanity, of the best kind.