Moose Creek Reforestation

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
JustGiver
Starting to Post

Moose Creek Reforestation

Post by JustGiver » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:26 am

Hey, just checking if anyone here has worked for Moose Creek Reforestation. I've never heard of them before, and can't find any opinions on them, Thanks.

dot
Starting to Post

Moose Creek

Post by dot » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:17 pm

Hey there..you aren't likely wondering much about MCR anymore (likely have a job for the summer), but I thought I would still tell you a little about them for future reference! I worked with them for one year, my rookie year. They are based out of Dryden, Ont. A small family owned business, Skene is the family name. Have been doing it for many years, passed down from generation to generation...own a saw mill as well.
Contracts start late April-Early May, usually starting in eastern manitoba and then spending the rest of the season in northern ontario. Season is roughly 40 days, ending in early July.
Land is 95% prepped/scarified (mounds/ripper trails), very rocky soil. Prices are generally lower, 6-10cents because you can plant LOTS of trees in a day. 4000-5000 are highballer numbers average. The money is generally not as good as BC planting..but land is easier and its a good place to learn to plant fast!
The company is very friendly, warm and trustworthy. You get what they say you will and can trust them. They are fun and know how to have a good time both in and out of camp. One fun thing they do is have an awards night at the end of the summer to give "golden shovels" to the highballers (a girl and a guy) and then various other fun awards. Its a great bonding time and just a lot of fun!! Its a nice treat from the company. The owner of MCR is very approachable, kind and cares very much about his employees. Its a good company..I would recommend it to anyone.
I have planted for MCR and Folklore and even though they differ in location..they are similar in trustworthiness, respect, and fun.
BC is overall a better place to make money tree planting...but Ontario and MCR was a great start and a great company if you want to stay planting on Ontario. Hope it helps (even after the fact!). dot

swamper
Regular Contributor

Re: Moose Creek Reforestation

Post by swamper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey planters thought I would update the info on MCR seeing as I just finished the 09 season with them. In a season where most companies were going bankrupt MCR had one of its best seasons of all time. One word that would best describe MCR is MONEY.

During the winter of 08 the company and the mill that is Skene Lumber has changed hands from Bill Skene to Scott Skene. Scott was the camp supervisor while Bill owned MCR so very little has changed. It was a good company then and it still is. MCR has some of the best prices I have seen in Ontario/Manitoba. You hardly ever have to plant for under 10 cents except for the sandy lands contract which is very true to its name sake. MCR specializes in hard access blocks which is why they get the better prices. It also means that you might get a lot of heli plants. Mostly it means that you are going to be taking a Hagland into a swamp. Good old swamp. MCR will give you as much swamp as you want. Have fun.

For new planters this is a great company to learn with. They make it so easy it’s basically planting for dummies. As for the party scene MCR is a fun company. It’s not a crazy party company. Know why you’re going planting. If the reason is not money, go to Brinkman, Outland or PRT (you can make decent money in PRT).

For high ballers if you’re lucky enough to plant for MCR and you want to make some $s they give you the opportunity to get numbers that are unheard of except for in companies like Wildwoods. Just get ready to have shifts where you put in 30,000 or more. MCR is all about fast and furious planting. It will come at you faster then you will want it. Also bring a cow bell…

One thing that some people might not like about MCR is that they hold 2-2.5 cents from you until the end of the season. It is just a little incentive to stick it out. The extra .5 of cent is give to returning planters to the company.

I have to commend Scott for his efforts in lowering his carbon emissions by converting his trucks to vegetable oil. I hope he keeps going in an attempt to get a zero foot print planting company.

Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Mike » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 am

One thing that some people might not like about MCR is that they hold 2-2.5 cents from you until the end of the season. It is just a little incentive to stick it out. The extra .5 of cent is give to returning planters to the company.
What happens to the 2-2.5 cents of the people that quit? Redistributed among planters? Into the running budget?
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd

swamper
Regular Contributor

Post by swamper » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:19 pm

What happens to the 2-2.5 cents of the people that quit? Redistributed among planters? Into the running budget?
I wish. Nope it goes right into MCR's pocket. Ok here is the break down of those 2.5 cents.
1cent attendance bonus
1cent quality bonus. If the company as a group gets over 95% quality for the 100,000 tree chunk. Then you get the extra 1 cent on every tree you planted for those 100,000. again if you don’t get the bonus money goes back to MCR. Another thing is if the company goes under 95% planters start getting angry.
.5 cent again for the returning planters.

Gualbert
Regular Contributor

Post by Gualbert » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Withholding money is illegal BC unless you are in co-op where you have a signed and written agreement. Otherwise you have to get paid twice a month.

bdbrown
Regular Contributor

Post by bdbrown » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:29 am

MCR is not in BC, and paychecks do come every two weeks, the amount you earned minus the quality, attendance, and seniority bonus's which come at the end of the season according to how well each criteria was met..
don't expect a company that meets every planters whims and expectations, and you won't be dissapointed. The needs of the many are catered to, and the company will do what it can to make your season what a season aught to be.
Keep in mind that it is under new management, and there may be some turbulence while all the kinks are smoothed out..
My only beef is with the criteria by which the foremen are chosen for this company, as it doesn't have as much to do with experience and "has the planters needs in mind" as one might wish..
having said that, next season is a new season, and hopefully these shortcomings were not overlooked..
great company to learn the industry, and great company if your more interested in making money than boozing it up..

olerthemoler
Starting to Post

Post by olerthemoler » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:34 pm

hey, so moose creek reforestation wants to hire me for this spring but they told me that treeplanters tend to be older in their crew like late 20s, early 30s and even a few men in their 50s(although this is rarer). i'm 22 and i dont want to be stuck wit a crew of older men. lol
any feedback on this?

thanks

theBushman
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by theBushman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:54 pm

There's plenty of folks young enough. I came to MCR last August, and there's plenty of 20-somethings, I'm 26, Chris is 27.

Sure, we have guys in their late 50's but they're used to planter activities.
Ex Tree Runner, Fibre Technician & Lifelong Bushman
@PaultheBushman
Instagram

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 pm

i'm 22 and i dont want to be stuck wit a crew of older men. lol
If you're a hetero guy, and you're hoping to have someone to flirt with, I have no suggestions.

If you're female, and you're worried about unwanted attention, just introduce yourself at the start of the season by telling them all that you have syphilis and herpes.

Sorry, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Either way, that's a serious concern, so just ask the foreman for more details. You're stuck with that same bunch of people for the summer, so you'll want to make sure you get along with them. You don't want to be in an uncomfortable situation. But having said that, anyone who has planted for several years is probably worth knowing. You'd be surprised at the friendships you'll make, with people that you might not have expected. You do have to be careful, of course, but quite often the people that you meet planting will become friends for many years.