Nata Reforestation and Management (aka Nata)

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
somesilviguy
Replant Forums Highballer

Nata Reforestation and Management (aka Nata)

Post by somesilviguy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:26 pm

I've been hired to start work with Nata in Prince Gorge, BC in early May as a rookie and I'm curious if anyone here as worked for these guys before? Or anyone has heard good/bad things? It'd be cool if I could sorta know what to expect from 'em so any input would be helpful. Thanks a bunch

Mr. Amazing

Re: Nata Reforestation and Management (aka Nata)

Post by Mr. Amazing » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:40 am

I know they were a Christian-focused outfit that used to plant a fair bit in the North (Tumbler Ridge, Chetwynd, etc.). Actually I just met a spiffy girl who planted for them a mere 2 years ago. There will be trees to be planted for a pre-determined price... 'Nuff said!!!

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Anything on these guys? All I know is they're working out of Prince George, 60/40 rookie/vet split this year (100 person camp) and a Christian outfit

Richianity

Post by Richianity » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:33 am

Someone made an awesome trailer for this outfit...very epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNuOzS1fgd0

3:50.....ohh I've been there!

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:57 am

I did an end of the year contract there a few years ago.

Basically, Spectrum/Windfirm type prices with an over the top "Christian" emphasis. Drinking + smoking weed was prohibited in camp, nobody eats dinner before grace is said, usually dont work on Sundays. Camp life was dull to say the least.

Most foreman also plant so you're expected to throw all your own plots. You'll probably waste a good hour a day walking to some far away central tree cache. Land varied from slashy to bad as you'll see anywhere(including the coast) shiite. But, ground was usually soft and planters were allowed to slut em in. Prices were generally 10 - 12c . I don't what others were averaging but I made about 50 -$75 less a day there than most places I've planted.

On the plus side you get paid extra tree price if you work a longer day or a bunch of days in a row. And you will get paid ... more or less on time.

sillyis
Starting to Post

Post by sillyis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Ahh yes, Nata, I was a rookie there in 2006, gave them four seasons. Yes they are a heavy sided christian camp, Yes they will fire you for smoking pot, Drinking is okay tho. They pay their planters very low, 10cents in PG - Cut to length prices were 11cents. Their northern work isnt any better - 10 - 15cents. Some of the stuff I did in tumbler was comparable to some of the coastal work that I've done, but for half to a third the tree price. They do not cater to vegetarians or vegans. They usually have rookie cooks and a very low food budget. I went to sleep hungry most nights.

I went back this year to help a buddy with his crew and ended up walking out mid season, due to the prices and quality expectations. Might as well been working a bcts contract in merrit and get paid fairly for it orr what I did was head to alberta and got paid the same prices for slamming trees into the ground green side up. woot rips and mounds!

I've since left and worked for Brinkman, Osprey and NGR.

I'd say to all experienced planters stay away, ha rookies to.

Skydivemic
Starting to Post

Post by Skydivemic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:46 am

Anyone from Nata recently ?
How are they ?

Chocolatej
Regular Contributor

Post by Chocolatej » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:16 pm

Skydivemic wrote:Anyone from Nata recently ?
How are they ?
Finished my season there this year. I was only there for a shift though. Prices were low, food was bad (food shortage was an issue some nights), camp life was dull (although admittedly we didn't try to integrate). Our crewboss was really nice and did a good job but that wasn't enough to stick it out with them in August heat.

Skydivemic
Starting to Post

Post by Skydivemic » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:58 am

Would u work there again ?
Witch compagnie are u from ?

Chocolatej
Regular Contributor

Post by Chocolatej » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:19 pm

I can't imagine myself being back there.

They just seemed totally out of touch with the rest of the industry, no one seemed to have worked anywhere else. The owner actually told me he wanted to re-name the company "Leader Reforestation". I could make a list of everything that was wrong (I did and then deleted it), but I was only there for a shift so I have limited perspective. Overall I'd say rookies are better off just about anywhere else.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:28 pm

The owner actually told me he wanted to re-name the company "Leader Reforestation".
I would imagine that that would go over well with the current Leader. (To clarify, this is sarcasm).

I wonder if the owner knows enough about the industry to realize there already is such a company.

Chocolatej
Regular Contributor

Post by Chocolatej » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Scooter wrote:
The owner actually told me he wanted to re-name the company "Leader Reforestation".
I would imagine that that would go over well with the current Leader. (To clarify, this is sarcasm).

I wonder if the owner knows enough about the industry to realize there already is such a company.
He was clueless. I didn't bother bursting his bubble. If he actually takes a step towards the name change I'm sure someone will.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:15 am

Updated contact info:

Nata Reforestation and Management
2615 Syms Road
Prince George, BC

Email: admin@nataram.com
250-970-0220

Steve Ardell
email: steve@nataram.com
250-612-1733
http://nataram.com/
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd

Pristine
Starting to Post

Post by Pristine » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Skydivemic wrote:Would u work there again ?
Witch compagnie are u from ?
I worked for Nata for four seasons.
They are a small scale planting company, definitely a lower end planting company.
Nata is a rookie farm, but the returning planters and foreman are extremely loyal.
The owners are two upstanding brothers who are nice to work for they have a good atmosphere about them. Because they stay in camp and are very involved in camp life Nata does not have that impersonal feeling you might get from bigger companies where the owners are less involved with the planters.
They don't have much May work (unless they get sub-contracted to finish another companies spring trees) so there main season usually starts early June.
Nata relies solely on one West Fraser contract by Chetwynd and Tumbler Ridge. They have the same contract every year based on business rapport so don't except much variation from season to season.They depend a lot on obscure odd job contracts and private wood lots.
They are not up to par to bid in the big leagues with most other planting companies anymore.
In the last two season there tree prices have gone up a bit but you could probably make more money somewhere else if you did your research.
There camp is usually 40-35% Christian college students trying to pay there tuition so it has a different feel to the company compared to other planting camps.
The owners are also Christian so don't except many wild parties, much more work focused and a lot of people just go to bed early on nights off.
The camp amenities are not very good, the food in the last two seasons is on par with prison chow, before that they had a better cook (the current one is not as good).
So if you want a tame camp that's more work focused and sober (there's still a good amount of party planters, so you wont have a problem finding your groove).