what happened to brian adam's contracting?

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
psychonut
Regular Contributor

what happened to brian adam's contracting?

Post by psychonut » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:01 am

gossip forum exists for a reason

what is the story?

Tommy10
Regular Contributor

Re: what happened to brian adam's contracting?

Post by Tommy10 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:45 pm

It's still running, but it's no longer Brian Adams. Adams not involved with it anymore, it's just Brian running the show. I worked for them last fall and it was really good, good crew bosses, organization, and great money. I've heard there were a few problems this spring, but by the sounds of it, they'll be going strong this fall on the coast

robin2008
Starting to Post

Post by robin2008 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:04 pm

Jeez tommy10, thats an understatement, tons of their planters never got paid, they left a 30,000 tab at the Redford and failed alot of blocks, I doubt if they will be going strong this fall considering they're huge mess up and generally the lack of trees this year.

Tommy10
Regular Contributor

Post by Tommy10 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:12 pm

yeah, it was an understatement to say the least, but I know for a fact they have work out of Alberni in September
Live Like A Rock Star

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 pm

why is adam out?

not_it
Regular Contributor

Post by not_it » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 am

Adam might not be out- both he and Brian still have "you've reached BAC" on their cell messages. If Adam was really out wouldn't he have changed his cell message more than a month ago?

johnay
Starting to Post

Post by johnay » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Brian Adams is done. Brian (Batlang) does have trees in Alberni this fall. Planters are staying at the Redford (so I assume the bill was paid), planters are returning (they were paid, albeit late) and while they may have failed blocks in the spring, Brian has direct award trees lined up for next season. Only reason they haven't changed their voicemail messages (in my opinion) is that they have enough other things on the go, answering machine message isn't at the top of the priority list.
johnay

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 am

My thought is that there is something wrong if you can't find 2 minutes to change your voice-mail message, especially when you can do it while you're driving around in your truck.

However, having said that, I just discovered that the message on the voice-mail at my restaurant says "we're currently closed because we're moving" and we finished moving seven months ago.

So I would say that it's more likely that they don't call themselves and haven't really clued in that their message is out of date, not that they don't have time to change it. But anything is possible.

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:42 pm

i'm surprised people would hire them again or work for them again after what i've read in this thread

Mr. Amazing
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Mr. Amazing » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:45 pm

What exactly do you know about anything, OTHER than what you read on this site, "psychonut". A business partnership didn't work out. So fucking what.

Greg M.
Forum Moderator

Post by Greg M. » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:26 pm

They treated me well. Paid me well. Helped me when I helped them.
I know nothing of the issues that occurred recently.

I do kow that if I were headed to the island, I would call Brian.

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:46 pm

i only know what i read on this site

Tommy10
Regular Contributor

Post by Tommy10 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 pm

I don't know what you read on this post but one guy said a few bad things and you've jumped to the conclusion they shouldn't exist. I talked with Brian yesterday, they are now known as Brian Lang, and why would people want to work for them? , they're a damn good company, with probably the strongest crew in BC. and they offer 7-8 months planting a year, not many other companies offer a solid season like that , besides Zanzibar. And they offer higher prices than other companies in the same area as them. And they treat there highballer's like RockStar's. And they buy beer for the crew on the night's off, enough said. Peace
Live Like A Rock Star

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:50 am

now i know more
now i know why
was it really so odd what i wrote?

Tommy10
Regular Contributor

Post by Tommy10 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:00 am

You don't know why? but they're a solid company. 18 out of 20 [planters this fall in Alberni, are returning from the spring, Sounds good too me, that's like 95% returning planters, Peace
Live Like A Rock Star

robin2008
Starting to Post

Post by robin2008 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:45 pm

I was sittin there peelin some potatoes, and it just occurred to me what an ignorant fuck tommy10 is, NO sorry tommy10 they are not a solid company. I have friends who got fucked cause they weren't paid for four months, those guys were high on coke, crashed a trucked and generally 'make' highballers by favourtism and what not. they think they are fuckin cool, and in fact cocaine and egoistism blew this company apart not to mention womanizing. Fuck you tommy10 for yr ignorance, and fuck Brian Adams for the bullshit people had to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I dont give a flying fuck about niceties.

the_dude

Post by the_dude » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:51 pm

that should get this thread going again pretty quickly

Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:54 pm

That Mel C song was the nail in the coffin.

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 am

robin2008 wrote:I was sittin there peelin some potatoes, and it just occurred to me what an ignorant fuck tommy10 is, NO sorry tommy10 they are not a solid company. I have friends who got fucked cause they weren't paid for four months, those guys were high on coke, crashed a trucked and generally 'make' highballers by favourtism and what not. they think they are fuckin cool, and in fact cocaine and egoistism blew this company apart not to mention womanizing. Fuck you tommy10 for yr ignorance, and fuck Brian Adams for the bullshit people had to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I dont give a flying fuck about niceties.
dish!!!

skip the generalizing

let's hear some stories

The Rev

Post by The Rev » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:15 am

robin2008 wrote:I was sittin there peelin some potatoes, and it just occurred to me what an ignorant fuck tommy10 is, NO sorry tommy10 they are not a solid company. I have friends who got fucked cause they weren't paid for four months, those guys were high on coke, crashed a trucked and generally 'make' highballers by favourtism and what not. they think they are fuckin cool, and in fact cocaine and egoistism blew this company apart not to mention womanizing. Fuck you tommy10 for yr ignorance, and fuck Brian Adams for the bullshit people had to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I dont give a flying fuck about niceties.

that really cuts like a knife

Brian batlang
Starting to Post

Post by Brian batlang » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:15 am

lots of false rumors

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:12 am

who's making them up? and why?

Mr. Amazing

Post by Mr. Amazing » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:19 pm

psychonut wrote:who's making them up? and why?
You're a knob.

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:34 am

no, i'm mr. amazing

backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Well, I worked for Brian more than Adam & would do it again. He did a great job. Great communicator. I had Issues with Adam- But I will not slander because it is a public listing. Robin, Have U even met Brian? How can U judge? Did U work for him? No need to start flipping out and start swearing..doesn't really show any signs of intelligence Robin(do U kiss Ur mommy with that stink mouth?). Yes, Shit hit the fan. Nobody knows what went on except those two. Anyway- I side with Brian.
A planter on my crew had payment issues, but, he got paid.The company was shifting and things dissolved.Enough said. Good Luck Brian!! You are gonna do just fine.
It could be Worst -People could have worked for Osprey!! & not gotten paid at all!!
roughing it in the rough

Brian batlang
Starting to Post

Post by Brian batlang » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:04 am

thanks for the support, I should sue Robin for slander.

TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:43 am

Brian batlang wrote:thanks for the support, I should sue Robin for slander.
You mean Libel...

And to sue someone for libel you have to prove that everything they say about you is false. Keep in mind that this IS the rumors and gossip section... I've heard all these 'rumors' before from other people too.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 am

Yeah Brian I think U should pursuit if this slander continues.. Robin2008- "
Brian is a thoughtful & caring individual. I got paid on time. I worked a season for him under Brian Adams'. If you work hard, you get paid for your work. I saw no favoritism- Maybe your friends are a bunch of cry ballers. I also don't like the comment about drug use; Where there any witnesses, did you see them ? Personally, I don't recall anytime those guys went off like that. I am certain if there was any weird stuff, it was amended by Brian.so, drop it! it's Batlang now - Just Brian.
Hamsterizer- Some very good points...Yes, rumour & innuendo. I heard a bunch of weird things, too. I find most of the information is often exaggerated . I just go straight to the source.

'
roughing it in the rough

Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:28 pm

Brian, explain this thread to a lawyer, followed by the question "Tell me honesly; how incredibly childish, hollow and ridiculous was my threat to sue - on a scale of 1 to 10?"

If the answer is less than 17.4 I'll buy you an ice cream cone and plant fifty thousand trees free for you.

By the way, I had never heard of your company as a planter but took note of it while browsing through BCTS bids this summer - way to shoot for the stars buddy!!! With sky-high bids like those, it's unfathomable to think you're cutting corners somewhere.

Fight slander, plant trees, rock on!

vacationer

Post by vacationer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Adam is a cokehead. Is it slander? Sure, but everyone who has ever worked with him knows it. Including Brian.

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:35 pm

vacationer wrote:Adam is a cokehead.
is it a stretch to "assume" this may have something to do with the womanizing, missing money, crashed truck, and brian going solo?

Greg M.
Forum Moderator

Post by Greg M. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:44 pm

An exponetial number of planters are potheads. Throw a stone...

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:44 pm

It would be a gross exaggeration to say that an exponential number of planters are potheads (and a dubious use of the word exponential). I'm not sure exactly where you've worked, but I can say that drug abuse is an exception and not the norm, and base my comment in valid statistics. One can certainly argue that there is a greater tolerance for substance abuse in silviculture than other industries, but to imply the number of users is "exponential" either incorrectly implies an increase, or incorrectly uses "exponential" as a replacement for the word "big". Either way....Big related to what? Is 1 in 10 considered big, I'd say that even that number is way too high. Secondly, there is no "exponential" increase. Every sign in the industry points to a substantial reduction in the rate of drug use in the industry. And this is simply based in cultural change, not the result of any screening programs or enforcement efforts.

That being said, it's probably fair to say that the level of tolerance is not the same as it used to be, thus the colourful back and forth regarding this particular (unverified) report. I'm not one to comment on what any particular individual does or does not do, but I can say that planters as an aggregate are a lot different than the "pothead" label tagged to them in the past.

backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:36 pm

All I Know ...Brian would not even allow anybody to spark one in his presents. That being said... I often did -once he left. Like the army on gays- don't ask don't tell. It is against WCB regulation that drug & alcohol use will not be tolerated on the job site. This is standard practice. But, back even a decade, it was common to blaze one with the foreperson or even owner. Times have changed and it seems any use on the job site is not tolerated.
roughing it in the rough

krahn

Post by krahn » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am

although it varies from company to company, camp to camp... but from my travels over my nine seasons, i'd say well over half of all planters at least have a few tokes during a season. the percentage feels a lot higher there's some camps that really bring the average down. and not all these people i would consider "potheads"... although i would guess that a quarter of all planters i've met light up very regularly. as for other drugs, those are all very rare. other than booze of course. planters in general drink their weight in alcohol every 24 hours.

Captain Slashpile

Post by Captain Slashpile » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:11 pm

true dat...planting is impossible without my nightly beerz
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:20 pm

are people comparing weed to cociane?

psychonut
Regular Contributor

Post by psychonut » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:45 am

in the last month i have heard some wacky stuff about this company and its memebers

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Hate to bring up an old thread but....

As people may or may not know this company split up after the 2008 season. The sketchier side of this company took over their 09 Vernon planting. And Brian , the other owner started up a new company called Batlang.

i planted Batlang's Rossland contract, finishing on the 27th of June. it was good contract, well organized, good prices and safe. But..... I last got paid on June 8 and haven't seen a penny since :evil: . Its well over a month now, should I be getting worried given their past history? Has anyone else here on this forum that worked for Batlang, gotten their final checks yet?

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Hey Screefhead, I just sent you an email (through replant.ca), this is André by the way...

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:08 pm

Also would like to add the same, awesome work for Brian, but some of the money is late. I let him know I was hurting and in no time he got me some money. I'd definitely say this money is just late. I've worked directly for the gov in the past and this was a BCTS contract, a lot of dumb things can happen with a government institution when it comes to paying out contracts. I have to add though, and Brian I'm sure you'll come upon this, he has been rather silent which can only contribute to his planters getting worried and start thinking bad things, so maybe a mass email for some news?!?! It's also nice to hear from you Brian!

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:18 pm

I have no comments about pay and when it should be received, I'll leave that for others.

However, I will make one comment about BCTS and the timeliness of them paying contractors. I can remember one contract, many years ago, which we finished in June and the company that I was working for at the time did not get paid by BCTS until the following March. To the best of my memory, there was no explanation for the extreme delay. However, this varies considerably from office to office. I've worked for some BCTS officers in the past few years who have been exemplary about trying to speed along invoicing paperwork.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:52 am

This morning, during a brief respite from defending humanity from certain peril at the hands of bears, I called Brian's cell. It's no longer in service!

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 am

Me too! ARGH!!! and $/"%!!! and ?*&%$/!!! and @£@*% !!!!!!

Keep it up Bearslayer, whoever you are. Now I know why that bear I walked upon ran away, they have good noses and could smell your proximity.

Richianity

Post by Richianity » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 am

Time to go to his house and start taking his garden gnomes?

mwainwright

Post by mwainwright » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:55 pm

no, what you do is set up tents on his lawn, and put void cheques under his wipers every day. a little trick shaky george used on bill sinclair. so i was told.

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:51 pm

I found out Batlang's probably going bankrupt. None of the planters or the foreman have been paid . I suggest everyone who planted there to go to their labor board ASAP.

Scooter - do you have any idea how to contact the forester on this contract. The foresters name was SHaun White, iwt was a government contract (FFT - Rossland ?). Anyone here with better info on the contract please post it.

JD Tesluk - you did the safety audit for the contract- can you provide any contact #'s for people running this contract.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:43 pm

FFT, or Forests For Tomorrow, is a program developed by the Ministry of Forests from what I understand. Different consulting and forest management companies in each part of the province bid on the administrative side of the work, and then they supervise the planting companies. So the "forester" is probably an MOF employee, which I think you could find out by calling the local BCTS office.

You could also try contacting the forest company that administered the contract, although ultimately, I think the Ministry would be a better resource. Is the area that you worked in listed on this page?

http://www.forestsfortomorrow.com/fft/l ... tive_areas

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screefhead, please write me : andrelyons@hotmail.com and give me your phone number if you have one, I'll gladly call ya.

I know forester Shawn's office is in Castelgar... at least that is where he lives and is where Shannon went to meet with him for business at least once.

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:00 am

Andre, I PMed you yesterday, I'll email you my phone #.

To the other people that worked at Batlang. Get off your asses and file a complaint at the labor board ( if you haven't already). The more people the govt hears from, the better. The longer this drags on the less chance there is any of us will ever see any of our money. And...get ahold of anyone that worked the contract do it asap.