what happened to brian adam's contracting?

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
Hugo Pants
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: what happened to brian adam's contracting?

Post by Hugo Pants » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:14 am

!
Last edited by Hugo Pants on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:19 am

Oh and Screefhead, I got you mixed up with someone else but I just read the PM you sent me

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:23 am

Hi there:

I indeed did the safety audit for Batlang, and it surprises me that a company would go through that process and then choose to pack it in. I only hope that this turns out to be a lost cel-phone and an unplanned summer vacation. That being said, I hope you understand I can not possibly release any details concerning a company I audit- that would be a gross violation of the rules regarding the role I play. I follow the same rules with employers that I do with the workers, information gathered during an audit is only for the purposes of the audit, and nothing more. Without this I have no basis of trust with which to conduct my job. Moreover, I have the same contact info as the workers, so even if I was to leave professionalism on the roadside, I would have little to offer to anyone that they don't already know.

I will emphasize that I do not know if the company has gone bankrupt, I think that is something an owner needs to announce. However, for any employee that is facing a situation where they think they may be owed wages from a bankrupt (or potentially bankrupt) employer, they may want to review the information provided by the MInistry of Labour and Citizens (Federal Government). Employment Standards BC can provide some guidance, but it is my understanding that they do not investigate complaints that deal with bankruptcy. If indeed a worker determines that their employer has gone under, it is important that they act QUICKLY, and file a claim asap in order to obtain any level of protection. I have pasted a link to a document dealing with the WEPP (Wage Earner Protection Plan)

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts ... ruptcy.pdf

That being said, I still suggest trying to contact the employer first to ensure you have all possible information to proceed upon, although I understand there has already been some frustration experienced in this regard.
I hope that this situation works out, as I can only say positive things about the people I met while visiting there.

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:39 am

nothing confirmed, but this may have more to do with a past business association than a will to pack it in. Indeed, it doesn't seem that Brian wants to pull out.

Timberjack
Regular Contributor

Post by Timberjack » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Batlang isnt even his legal name.
He lies and lied.
Heard Ministy garnished his earnings.
And to all that bashed adam shame on you.He was lied to by his buisness partner and Adam could of ruined him for forgy and lieing and chose not to.I for one wouldnt trust batlang woth my wheelbarrow...........And by the way adam is back and doing great.Had some work and getting more as the Companies trust him!!!

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:32 pm

I spoke with Brian this morning. Anyone who wants the story can message me -- include your name if you're a Batlang planter.

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Man this is all fucked up! I wish I were omniscient!

Richianity

Post by Richianity » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:51 pm

There better be some missing garden gnomes, truck 'claiming' and lawn camping that come out of all of this. I'll be kinda bummed out if it were just a boring 'misunderstanding'.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:32 pm

You'd be more bummed out if you lost 3,000 dollars, so shut your cakehole if you have nothing to say about the issue at hand.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Unless you worked with us, in which case yeah, let's all totally do that.

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Hahaha Bearslayer, giv'er! Don't worry Richi, there is more than a simple misunderstanding at hand here.

Richianity

Post by Richianity » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Of course if the company were going bankrupt then he would likely not have a lawn for you to camp on...I'd say the owner has the most to lose.

But yeah, I'd be even more bummed about $3G's....
Last edited by Richianity on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:45 pm

I was all ready to rip when I knocked on his door, or at least act a bit snotty and ask where my money was, but when you're faced with your owner unshaven and wearing a wifebeater explaining that he expects to have his furniture repossessed, all the air drains out of your sails. At this point I just hope we get our money and and that Brian lands on his feet. I'm going to assume for the time being that Brian is telling the whole truth. Whether he is or not probably makes no difference anyway, since everyone seems to be filing complaints.

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:40 pm

Why wouldn't you file a complaint? , I stand to lose over $5000 and there will be others that will lose a lot more than that.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:46 pm

No, I totally am filing a complaint -- I'm saying that since we all are, all the gaps in what we know now are going to be filled in eventually as a part of that process, in which case for the time being I may as well assume whatever I want. I admit it has occured to me that if the explanation is an innocent one, then it's odd that Brian never told anyone what was happening.

not_it
Regular Contributor

Post by not_it » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:49 pm

I agree bearslayer, okay so the phone has been cut off, okay everything is going down the tubes, in a group email no one can hear you if you're choked up and internet is free at the library, I'm not inclined to have a ton of sympathy until I hear from him wtf is happening... he may not be the only filing for bankruptcy if the cash doesn't show.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:06 pm

I would suggest that all of you who worked for him set up a googlegroups account. Well, one person should set up the account and be the person "in charge" of admitting others to the group. Make it a completely private group. Only let planters join the group - use telephone to verify new email addresses so you can be sure it isn't someone else impersonating one of the planters.

The way that GoogleGroups works is that you set up the mailing list and you can set each person's "permissions" so that they either:
1. Receive emails sent to the group but can't reply.
2. Can reply to other emails, or post new emails.

Outsiders can't read or post (unless, of course, you want them to - there are actually quite a few other nuances in the options that I haven't mentioned). You should probably set up the entire group so that everyone in the group can post to it, and receive all emails, but not for the public to be able to view content.

So basically, what happens is that when you do that, if any one person in the group sends out an email to some special address that you've selected, such as garden_gnomes_horrorshow_2009@googlegroups.com, every single person in the group receives what you sent. The beauty is that you only will have had to send to the one single address, rather than to a couple dozen separate addresses (running the risk of missing someone).

This is a great way for everyone to stay informed, everyone can talk to each other, and you are all as up-to-date as each other member of the group in terms of posted material. It also keeps your discussions private, and off publicly-viewed message boards, etc. This could potentially be important further down the line in the payment dispute resolution process. It's also more professional.

Be aware, even though this will be a private group, there is always the chance that someone in the group could print all of the emails that get exchanged, or that the same info could end up in court. So try to keep it professional within the group too, for simple factual-based information sharing, rather than slander or similar things.

Maybe that would help all of you out? Just a suggestion ...

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:53 am

I spoke to Brian on the phone last night. He says that the best thing for us to do is file a complaint as soon as possible. Feel free to email me for more info if you were there : andrelyons@hotmail.com

I'll also gladly call you, since I prefer talking over typing, but I don't have anybody's number.

A right nice lady at the labour relations board told me exactly how to navigate through it :

go to http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb

on left hand side : click on general info, then forms, then complaint submissions form. Then chose online form, choose start complaint (upper right corner), chose the second bullet and write (however you wish) that you believe/fear that your employer will file for bankruptcy. Then fill out the rest.

not_it
Regular Contributor

Post by not_it » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info andre, also that google groups sounds like it might be a good idea, anyone else?

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Okay. Do feel like setting it up?

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 pm

Brian Adam's owed 600 000$$$...

Batlang made 450 000$ for his spring contract in Rossland, which was sub-contracted under Brian Adams.

That money apparently got snagged by the Goverment.

Batlang owes around 70 000$ in treeplanting wages.

They haven't filed in for Bancruptcy. Therefore, we may not apply for WEPP (but still should incase they do go bankrupt in the future, in which case we may get up to 3200$ max ONLY).

The forester Shaun has been contacted, his hands are tied, the money left at the Castlegar branch is going to the Goverment.

Think whatever you want, I RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE EVER WORKS FOR EITHER OF THESE COMPANIES AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!
They are still running and who knows what will happen....

What next? small-claims..http://www.smallclaimsbc.ca/ http://www.cba.org/BC/public_media/small/166.aspx ....not sure checking it out and will keep you posted........
Last edited by Cat on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:24 pm

My stepfather works for BCTS. According to him, all BCTS silviculture contracts stipulate that the contractor's employees must be paid. If Brian goes bankrupt this may be moot, but for now it seems to apply.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Gonna try to contact BCTS ....
BC Timber Sales
1907 Ridgewood Road
Nelson, B.C. V1L 6K1
Tel: 250 825-1100
Fax: 250 825-9657
Email: Forests.KootenayTimberSalesOffice@gov.bc.ca

Will go talk to Shawn, he's my neighbour, when he gets back.

We should all call to voice ourselves up anyways!!!!
Last edited by Cat on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Also, ALLL should contact service canada to get their ROE's sentout......more pressure onto Brian anyways.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Have the planters from the Brian Adam's Kelowna contract 2009 been paid?

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I'm with Chekov here; if a coke addict appears in act one, planters had better be without their final cheques by act three.

THE CHUMP
Regular Contributor

Post by THE CHUMP » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Adam and I spent all the taxes on coke&hookers. Thank god Brian doesn't owe me that much!

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 pm

I'll set up the google thingy tomorrow, we should all stay calm until we get a good line of communication going here (Cat? You gonna answer that there phone of your's? You're hard to get ) Or at least try to wait to talk to me on the phone, then decide. Even better, try to call Brian at home : 250.339.7635 (it's listed on canada411)
Yeah he is hard to get, and maybe he should be calling you, but I don't think that's happening and it's better that we all talk to him somehow. I just randomly tried calling him a few times during the day and he answered at some point. He says he doesn't see the point in paying his cell phone bill right now.

File those complaints though asap.

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Has anyone in the Nelson district thought of contacting their MLA yet. Maybe a little pressure from higher up will get the ball rolling. All I'm sensing right now is a bunch of beaurocrats at BCTS in denial and more interested in covering their own asses than anything else.

Should we be considering maybe going to the press?

not_it
Regular Contributor

Post by not_it » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:33 am

apparently the planters working with 'sacred forests' (adam) doing vernon did get paid, but if this forum wasn't called gossip and rumours I wouldn't be typing this right now, 'cause it's fourth or fifth hand information.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:06 am

I'll try to get a hold of the NDP here in Castlegar....Ya I think we should go to the press, might as well.

BCTS lady from the Nelson branch phoned me back at 8h30 this morning being apolegetic.....ummm it does sound like they are trying to cover their own ass or maybe they are just nice.

It would be good to have a list of all planters that were on the contract and contact info.

Andre, I'll try to call you again.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:09 am

Yes they got paid...the contract was sub-contracted under Batlang. Ours was sub-contracted under Brian Adam's, because it was a direct award. Complicado to say the least!

not_it
Regular Contributor

Post by not_it » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:46 am

I'm sure you don't know Cat, but can anyone explain how that might work- Adam subcontracting through Brian's company, and Brian going through his and Adam's company?!?
Weird, and ironic that the man that may or may not be responsible for our financial misfortune was able to clean up his rep a bit and pay his planters.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:05 pm

As I understand it, Brian couldn't force Adam to dissolve Brian Adams. Therefore both of them subcontracted work from Brain Adams -- Brian as Batlang, Adam as Sacred Trees or whatever.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Hold on -- I guess Brian subcontracted all of Brian Adams' work, then Adam showed up and demanded trees, so the only solution was for adam to subcontract Batlang's trees. Maybe -- I'm just going on what I was told at various times this season.

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:40 pm

Ok I'm about to create the group, I spoke to a nice lady at BCTS and the money is still with BCTS : ''that money has not yet been released'' is the most she could tell me. Anyways, more details coming as soon as the group is set up.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:10 pm

MLA office in Castlegar is closed for 2 weeks, they refered me to Michelle Mongole's office in Nelson.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Ummm, yes that lady which I can't remember her name at BCTS was nice.....unlike Ed Wall from BC Standard in Nelson....what a downer that guy is! He was upset I phone him today and told me to forget about it!!!!

Bearslayer, yes that's right! Somehow Adam's company got sub-contracted under Batlang and that's why they got paid. It's only us that didn't because we were under B & A cie. Ironic of a twist it is indeed......

Also, at the parlament's office they told me that Brian should be the one contacting the NDP dude...Alex Atanamenko

Castlegar Office:
337 Columbia Avenue, Castlegar BC V1N 1G6
1-800-667-2393
250-365-2792
Fax: 1-250-365-2793 atamaa1@parl.gc.ca

So you guys on the Island, go see him and get him to phone in. If he actually cares, well it's the least he can do.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:49 pm

WE ALL NEED TO CALL BCTS!!!!!!!!!!! 250-825-1100

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:02 pm

The group is up, thanks Scooter. I'm still figuring out how to use it, send me your email if you were under Batlang this Spring : andrelyons@hotmail.com so that I can add you, I already sent invites you who's email I have.

I've also got a better number for BCTS but I'll keep it within the group!

Cat wrote
''Also, at the parlament's office they told me that Brian should be the one contacting the NDP dude...Alex Atanamenko''

I think that means that we should also keep trying to contact the NDP dude.

Cat
Regular Contributor

Post by Cat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:13 pm

We can't contact Alex, I tried this morning.......he will only deal with Brian. We get to contact Kathrina in Castlegar, whom is gone for 2 weeks or Michelle Mongole in Nelson.....which I'm gonna go see tommorrow.

Just talked to Shawn, BCTS forester, dosen't seem too great......don't want to say too much on here in case there is a Revenue Canada spy....

Carla said they might have free lawyer services at Uvic, that's gonna be our next option I think.

Talk to y'all on Google!

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:44 pm

OK YOU HAVE TO CREATE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT TO GET IN (AND YOUR EMAIL HAS TO HAVE BEEN ADDED BY MYSELF)

It doesn't take long to create a google account. Let me know if this works out.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 pm

You shouldn't need to have a google email account to be part of a Google Group. They may suggest it, but all of the groups that I've set up (for my bar staff, restaurant staff, etc.) are 95% non-google emails.

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Just spoke with Brian, he's pretty much on top of things and assures us a decision is expected soon. It looks like things will work out. As I thought, this appears to have little to do with Brian's business practices. He may even be able to keep working.

not_it
Regular Contributor

Post by not_it » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:26 pm

does that mean you're signed up for his fall work bearslayer? :lol:

Timberjack
Regular Contributor

Post by Timberjack » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:49 am

We all have an Idea,but soon the truth will come out.

Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 am

Timberjack dude man, it sounds like you're just screwing with us. Even if you aren't just screwing with us, you still are screwing with us. At least add some content/context to what you're saying or something, you don't have to agree with anyone here, but come on, we don't need this right now.

Seisbot
Starting to Post

Post by Seisbot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:53 pm

I would like to see a direct post by Brian, or at least one that is 100% accurate. This thread is putting me through a rollercoaster ride that i don't care for. Cheers to everyone who is trying so hard to get this resolved quickly and painlessly.
I agree with Hugo Pants,No more maybes or looks good or i thinks. Just facts.....please

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:25 pm

Why, so a bunch of people how didn't work for him can satisfy their curiosity? He won't say shit until he has something definite to say, and it won't be in a public forum. He has told various people that he intends to send a mass e-mail when he knows what's going to happen.

mwainwright

Post by mwainwright » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:32 pm

my curiosity has not been satisfied at all. maybe one of you could throw up a detailed flow chart on how the shit came in contact with the fan? that would help.
this shit happens in business. you arent the first planters to get fucked over, and sadly you wont be the last.

now before you all have a stroke due to my perceived lack of respect for your predicament, let me just say that i hope you all get paid and things work out for everybody.

also, maybe a public forum is not the best place to handle these matters.