Artisan Reforestation

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
JonBonBacon
Starting to Post

Artisan Reforestation

Post by JonBonBacon »

Does anyone have info on Artisan? I've seen their website, but I'd like to hear from someone who's planted for them.
Thanks
JonBonBacon
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Artisan Reforestation

Post by Mike »

For Scooter to update the company listings when he has time:

Contact Info:
Peter Horak- President
250-996-7722
Artisan Reforestation Ltd
Box 2330
Fort St. James, B.C.
V0J 1P0

(Neverheard of them)
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

I've worked for them and know them pretty well.

Peter Horak started his own show after being a Dynamic foreman/supervisor (and a good one at that). I think this is gonna be Artisan's 3rd or 4th season in operation. However, they aren't a rookie show. They've got lots of experienced planters who came over to Artisan from Dynamic, and they've picked up a bunch extra along the way too. As far as I know, they don't have any rookies this year.

I know most of the foremen, and I think they're up in the 7/8 years planting experience range. They're a good, honest, hardworking people, and I like filling out my season with them when I've got the chance.

Small company, good atmosphere, fair prices, no bullshit.

They work around Fort Saint James. Enjoy the Zoo.
bushcook
Starting to Post

Post by bushcook »

Plus they have the best food.

(well, I am the cook)

but seriously, I've worked for three other planting companies (who will remain nameless), and Artisan planters seem consistently happy, the work last season was steady, and I'm going back again. So, uhhh, handshakes all around.
JonBonBacon
Starting to Post

Post by JonBonBacon »

Thanks Bushcook. I'll probably see you out there.
granola
Regular Contributor

Post by granola »

Does anyone know what is going on with Artisan this year? From what I’ve heard no one who planted with them last year has been able to contact the company, and the planters are now looking for new homes.
TripleS

Post by TripleS »

That's a shame, they sounded like a decent company. Not exactly respectful of your workforce to leave them in the dark...
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Their website is partly broken, and still refers to the upcoming 2020 season.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I just spoke to a few employees and looked into this.
Peter is alive and well and in the Kootenays. I can't speak for him but I can say (based on my interaction) that he is a person that enjoys his incognito time. I have passed on a message through family that his staff are anxious. Hopefully he chimes in soon.
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

Has of May 2022 in Fort St.James the word out there is that Peter Horak sold all his equipment because of some political charged drama (not sure if there is any substance there or not, havent look into it). So it seems Artisan no longer is in activity (also did not see any bids for artisan this year), I did respect his efforts to have a hottub and massagist in camp. Those are caring actions and are proof of his treatment of planters. Hopefully this info helps, and if Im wrong and was just a downsize, will be happy to be corrected. Cheers
CRITICAL THINKING WITHOUT HOPE IS CYNICAL, AND HOPE WITHOUT CRITICAL THINKING IS NAÏVE