Points West Forestry

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Points West Forestry

Post by Mike »

http://unbc.ca/tree-planters

Anyone got anything?

"We’ve been operating here for over 20 years. This year is shaping up to be one of our biggest and we need a few more people to join the crew. Most of the work is in the Prince George/Vanderhoof area this year."

Contact info:
Judy, reachable at u2pointswest@hotmail.com
Last edited by Mike on Sat May 31, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
ChinRoll
Regular Contributor

Re: Points West Forestry

Post by ChinRoll »

I've done the odd season with them here and there. For anyone who lives in Prince George and wants to work from home, this is a pretty decent opportunity.

Pricing:

- Overall I would say that they are slightly above average for the industry (nothing under 14, rarely anything over 16). The only negative thing I can think of as far as pricing is concerned, is due to the fact that the owner doesn't always get a chance to view the jobs (many small woodlots in and around PG) and he ends up "bidding" blindly on them. While it usually works out fairly well, due to the fact that he's been planting the same woodlots for years, it can sometimes go completely sideways, and you'll find yourself planting 18 cent land for 14 miserable cents.

Management:

- Working the frontlines along with his crew, is none other than the legendary Franz Otto; legendary not only for his planting prowess and the fact that he's one of the hardest working crew bosses you'll ever meet, but also for his extremely ****ed up nature. But because I'm not interested in flinging feces at my fellow caged monkeys, I won't go into too many details, other than to say that he is without a doubt the most negative aspect of working for Points West. While he will rarely leave you waiting for trees, or land, he will leave you in the dark about virtually everything else that matters. Yes, communication is most definitely not his strong suit – unless you call waxing poetic about the lupins, or telling painfully uninspired stories about his childhood over, and over, and over again while you're trying to bag up, communication.

I was going to get even more in depth, but I'm actually growing weary thinking about the time I spent working for that strange little man... but that's just me, and I'm sure some of you out there might actually enjoy it.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cool, thanks for the info.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

ChinRoll wrote:
Franz Otto
say no more...