Khaira Enterprises

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
Rainman
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Khairi making news - another BCTS success story

Post by Rainman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:24 am

Looks like there are many more details of of this saga that are still coming out. This one is sad and I hope it gets looked in to carefully.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/F ... story.html

The_Bearslayer

Post by The_Bearslayer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:16 am

I was told by someone who spoke with the Khaira planters that there were two deaths on the crew.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Hopefully BCTS will be paying big time for this whole mess... The media should be all over them for having had prior knowledge of the situation back to at least Powell River. This is a much larger issue than simply a shady company having been busted for cutting major corners...

bush

Post by bush » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:09 pm

a drinking related(possible) death, june 25. around revy

willalot
Starting to Post

Re: Khaira Enterprises

Post by willalot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Khaira enterprises has recently been shutdown by the provincal government. Charges are being laid by both the planters and the goverment for infractions starting at burning garbage to death threats to their employees to only feeding planters twice a day. Google them, they are all over the news.

newforest

Post by newforest » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:37 pm

good to see this get exposed.

in my experience in my own country in tree planting, the worst abusers of immigrant planters are ..... other immigrants. seems the same in this situation.

nothing like working in the absolute middle of nowhere to make this difficult to discover. I think some of these situations still exist in the USA, though things are improving ever so slightly.

Coaster

Post by Coaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:10 pm

It can't hurt to pass any of this information on to the press and broadcasters. I've sent links and info to CBC and the Vancouver Sun - no response yet. This new revelation of people dying in camps is shocking to say the least. It may have nothing to do with the contractor... I suggest we all contact local media.

Keeping this and related stories in the public eye, while embarrasing to all of us, is probably the only way to force bureaucrats to change and start enforcing regulations that keep us safe and happy in the woods. What do you suppose the public's image is of us now? Not just hippies and students but now also mistreated immigrants.

I haven't seen any kind of response from the WSCA contractors. I suppose they're being very careful that nothing sticks to them.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:34 pm

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Labour- ... BlameGame/

BCTS is throwing their spin into the fray...
This article makes it sound like Khaira is banned from bidding on ANY BCTS contract next year, yet other reports are that they're only banned from bidding in the Golden area. Anyone know which it actually is? Being banned from Golden won't hurt the company near as much as not being able to bid on any BCTS contract.

The problem that I see with this is if they're still allowed to sub-contract from other companies. In that case I can see them using Dewan as the bidding company yet still operating both as Dewan and Khaira. They both need to be shut down. If they're not then I can see this becoming like the Brian Adams/Batlang ordeal from last season....

Coaster

Post by Coaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Banning Khaira from bidding on any BCTS work in B.C. for one year is an inadequate response - far too lenient considering the allegations involved. As far as Khaira operating through any associated company such as Dewan (if they are related), the following quote from a standard BCTS contract tender explains how this would work. The key is to establish the "related" part.

The Ministry reserves the right to disqualify the Bidder and to award the Contract to another bidder if the Bidder or a Related Person to the Bidder has:
(a) withdrawn an irrevocable tender;
(b) failed to enter into a Ministry contract within the time limits specified by the Ministry;
(c) had a contract cancelled by the Ministry;
(d) forfeited all or part of a bid security;
(e) breached a contract with the Ministry;
(f) had all or part of a contract performance security forfeited;
(g) had a charge assessed for failing to comply with the requirements of a previous contract; or
(h) been charged or convicted of any offence in respect of a contract with the Ministry or relating to a forest practice in British Columbia

For any contractor to be allowed to subcontract to another contractor, BCTS must permit it in writing. They're not likely to approve Khaira. Still the one year suspension is way too little. I've seen suspensions of at least double that.

RPF

Post by RPF » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:42 am

What I don't understand is why someone from BCTS didn't check out the bush camp right from the start and periodically thereafter. They talk about safety and all that, but if no one is assigned to monitor for compliance, this is what happens. Too bad someone had to die, maybe now the government will do something to prevent this from happening again? It'll be interesting to watch this unfold over the next while.

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews ... 605e829588

barnbill

Post by barnbill » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:07 am

[quote="RPF"]What I don't understand is why someone from BCTS didn't check out the bush camp right from the start and periodically thereafter.
-----------------------

simple. the word is that Khaira said it was a motel show....easy loophole to avoid inspections

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:59 am

I think we've seen the last of this story in the news. I did notice this on the BCTS website though :
http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/sho ... ypeQual=TN

Sounds like maybe BCTS is gonna be more selective on which contractors get invited to bid on contracts, possibly a result of all the gong shows the last few years.

Surprising is the complete lack of any response from any of the treeplanting contractors and the WSCS. Even if they dont give a crap about the Khaira situation you'd think they'd at least raise a stink out of their own self interests.

RPF

Post by RPF » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:37 am

Sounds like maybe BCTS is gonna be more selective on which contractors get invited to bid on contracts, possibly a result of all the gong shows the last few years.
I won't hold my breath on this. BCTS and their predecessor (SBEP) have had "gong shows" for decades with no real change. From my limited experience with BCTS, the "lowest price is the law". Besides, if BCTS does change policy, the owners of the silviculture companies can (and will) simply dissolve and reappear under a new company name with no history to follow them. I've seen this happen more than a few times.

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 am

BCTS may also have its hand forced in this regard. There are clear liability issues that may very well compell them to review their contractor selection and management practices. Whether or not wrongdoing is proven, the sheer potential must result in re-evaluation of risks from a strict business perspective- and that may be the only viewpoint that matters.

As for the WSCA, it would be incorrect to assume they have not responded. They may not have made a press release or joined the blogging nation, but this is likely as much out of concern to avoid libel suits, as it is to wait and see what the regulating bodies do in response. Remember, most of this discussion is based on newspaper reports. However, regulating bodies and representative agencies have to proceed on what is proven, otherwise they place themselves in a very precarious position. Moreover, when seeking to elicit policy or enforcement changes, you must speak the language of (due) process, or else end up being ignored. Make no mistake though, the contractors are pissed about this situation, and are lobbying hard for vigorous action. If you want to truly gauge their reaction, talk to a few of them. I'm sure you will find that a stink has been raised.

While the story may fade from the news, it is certainly deeply ingrained in the discourse of the industry. Few situations in silviculture have obtained as much press exposure as this. Unfortunately it may be the 15 minutes nobody really wanted. The level of exposure and the extent of the accusations provide images that will form a reference point for years to come. The importance of awareness of an issue cannot be understated in a liability-driven society (aka Risk Society aka actuarialism). If you fail to take action and something bad happens, you may be responsible, but the extent of your culpability or blameworthiness may still be limited. HOWEVER, if you fail to take action when you knew there was a risk, not only are you responsible, but you are also negligent (and potentially criminally negligent). Thus, in the big picture, the actual impact of this situation (regardless of the outcome or ultimately proven facts) has the potential to not only alter behaviour of individuals by attenuating them to known practices and problems and their own potential responsibility, but it also has the potential to stimulate more punitive responses from regulating bodies that may now take the view that similar practices cannot be excused by ignorance. Such outcomes may not necessarily be clear in the individual case, but may play out on a larger stage over time. That may be overly optimistic, but I have a tendency to hope for some good to come.

Coaster

Post by Coaster » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:15 pm

At this point our greatest hope may lie with the BC Fedration of Labor. It may be their persistence that forcses the regulators to actually do something to improve the lax system that allowed Khaira to operate. The Fed has been the only heavyweight that has stood up and demanded action.

RPF is right on, the contractors have been conspicuous by their silence. That doesn't mean they aren't paying serious attention to what is happening. They like the rest of us have to wait to see what is done. What pressure can be applied will be. The WSCA won't let this slip away without a fight - I hope! But we're talking big bureaucracies here and change comes grudgingly. The hot potato of responsibility will be tossed from one to the other perhaps until it gets cold.

krahn

Post by krahn » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:12 pm

FUCK the ministry. there's no excuse for them allowing this to happen, they've been criminally negligent with their handing over of this contract to a company that obviously wasn't paying enough for any sort of insurance of safety. i think heads should roll for this one, among others.

the ministry works for us, the people, and should be held accountable.

barnbill

Post by barnbill » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:26 pm

5 investigations into tree planter underway
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 | 12:37 PM PT Comments27Recommend26.CBC News
B.C. Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair is flanked by forestry workers at a news conference earlier this month. The workers said they had to work in unsafe conditions. (CBC)
The provincial government has launched five separate investigations to uncover how a tree-planting company was allegedly able to ignore provincial laws, according to B.C. Labour Minister Murray Coell.

"What we're looking at is a co-ordinated response, and I think that will help us to ensure that we can make that workplace safer in the future," said Coell.

Earlier this month, employees of Khaira Enterprises accused the company of not providing food, water or washrooms at a tree-planting camp near Golden, B.C.

Some workers also alleged that senior managers threatened employees and kept them as virtual prisoners in the bush, while others said that their paycheques had bounced.

After the allegations came to light, the province cancelled its silviculture contract with the Surrey-based company. Coell says the province has strong labour protection laws, and it expects contractors to obey them.

The B.C. Federation of Labour, which first brought the allegations to light, has called for a single independent public inquiry, instead of the five investigations. Coell said that may still happen.

"There are five different ministries investigating this incident. They will be making recommendations. I don't discount a further inquiry at that time," he said.

However, he offered no insight into why the laws were not enforced and inspections not conducted in the case of Khaira Enterprises.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... z0yEVIqvs7

newforest

Post by newforest » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:25 pm

still so glad to see this make the light of day. I need to go through all those links and share the best one with my home state agency. they are about to issue a new mega-contract. the contractor who has held it for the last 8 years or so running is oh so similar, but it is the same deal with my state foresters. the planters don't speak English, how was I supposed to know that stuff was going on?

Evergreen

Post by Evergreen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:25 pm

Story from the Trail Times Newspaper;

As I sat and listened, my mind kept saying, ‘This can’t be happening.’
These stories belonged to another era, long ago or at least far away from British Columbia. They belonged to a time or a place where workers had no rights, where we worked 12 or 14 hours a day for low pay or no pay, where there was no safety equipment, when we were hungry most days and the government looked the other way.
Unfortunately, the dozen workers sitting in the conference room at the B.C. Federation of Labour in early August were not talking about working conditions in the last century or in a far away land. They were talking about working conditions this summer in BC.
The story these tree planters told shocked the people of British Columbia. They even shocked the provincial labour minister.
Within a week it was clear that not only did these workers find themselves working for a terrible employer, they had also been let down by government agencies responsible for ensuring their safety.
This was a company with a chronic record of bad performance and unsafe conditions, yet the WCB, the health authorities, B.C. Timber Sales, Employment Standards and the Ministry of Forests all failed to enforce regulations effectively.
The failure however doesn’t just belong to the Liberal government, which has spent a decade cutting back on enforcement, encouraging unrealistic low-ball bidding and watering-down legislation that protects workers. This failure belongs to all British Columbians.
It is, after all, our province. These were people working in our forests and working for our government. Most of the workers were recent immigrants from Africa, one as young as 16 years old.
After these workers’ stories became public, it wasn’t just other workers who contacted us, it was also other employers in the tree-planting sector. They complimented the federation because the failure of enforcement by government agencies is not only bad for workers, it is also bad for the decent employers who play by the rules and want to do things right.
This Labour Day, it’s time for British Columbians to look ourselves in the mirror. Do we really want a province where this kind of exploitation happens? Are we happy to have gone from the highest minimum wage in Canada to the lowest? Do we support the dismantling of government and the gutting of oversight and enforcement capacities of government agencies?
The answer – after even a brief look in the mirror – is no. We do not support this race to the bottom that the Liberal government has set us on with deregulation, self-regulation and the watering down of standards and enforcement.
Yet, this is happening and the results are both shocking and shameful.
On Labour Day, the trade union movement salutes the hundreds of thousands of British Columbians who toil to make the province work whether they are in a union or not. We understand that good jobs support strong families and strong communities.
Main Street merchants understand this too. Well-paid workers spend their paycheques in their communities and keep local businesses alive. They also pay the bulk of the taxes that pay for critical public services such as health care and education.
We understand that when unions are under attack, just as they are now, salaries are pushed down, jobs disappear and working conditions deteriorate. The tree planters we helped this summer understand this all too well.
For them, and for all the workers in the province, we pledge to continue to build a labour movement and a province that fights for everyone so they may go to work and live in a province where decent wages, proper benefits and safe workplaces are the standard for all.
Happy Labour Day.
Jim Sinclair, president

B.C. Federation of Labour

newforest

Post by newforest » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:44 pm

+1

Screefhead

Post by Screefhead » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:09 pm

What a bunch of self serving drivel from Jim Sinclair. Running for govt office perhaps?

Long on the rhetoric, yet offering little if any solutions or tangible results. Has the labour federation done anything for the planters other than put them on a bus and ship them back to Montreal?

Evergreen

Post by Evergreen » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Apparently there are five separate government agencies investigating what went wrong with this mess. The BC Fed was instrumental in bringing pressure to bear. Without their profile this would likely have been allowed to slide quietly away. I don't necessarily trust big bureaucracy either but fortunately their agenda matches ours at this point. We all want the dirtbags gone.

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:06 am

Sinclair made a special trip to meet with several ministries solely to press them for action in response to issues pertaining to silviculture workers. This trip was not about making friends. He went to challenge the ministries right to their face and make them aware of the fall-downs in the regulatory system, and to lobby for reform of the system that has allowed the alleged problems to occur. I'm not sure exactly what you wouild expect him to do Screefhead, but it seems to me that he's stuck his neck quite a ways out for a bunch of workers that don't even belong to the unions that he officially represents. I've listened to a lot of agency representatives and politicians "speak on behalf of the workers". However, I think Sinclair does a better job of it than most of them.. and he get's people's attention. Having spoken with the man personally on several occasions, I would say that he does what he does because he believes in it and has workers' best interests in mind. I think Evergreen has it right, withouth the BCFL involved, this all might have gone away quietly. You can probably thank Kim Bolan as well, and bear in mind that there are a lot of things going on behind the story in the papers. There are people working on this issue that are focused more on the task at hand than making it into the news.

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:12 pm

I know it's a bit late, but those following the issue and interested in the positions of key parties in the discussion may find the press release from the WSCA interesting:

Aug 25, 2010
John Betts (WSCA)
The controversy around allegations made by workers against the forestry contracting firm Khaira Enterprises has amounted to a national embarrassment for British Columbia and its silviculture contracting industry.

The alleged treatment of the planters and brushers seems truly shocking. But this mess may lead to needed improvements in how government agencies and some licensees manage silviculture contracts and workplaces if Labour Minister Murray Coell’s investigation addresses deficiencies in the enforcement of existing regulations and contract requirements.

British Columbia has the most developed silviculture camp standards regulations in Canada. They have evolved over the years in a constructive collaboration between the silviculture contracting industry, health authorities, the Ministry of Forests and Range and other agencies. Silviculture camps are typically temporary and transient, as the demands of forestry work and its field season require. But across the province temporary forestry camps provide potable water, nourishing food, adequate shelter and clean facilities to thousands of workers each year.

In 2000 the government amended the Employment Standards Regulation to include special rules for silviculture workers. This silviculture regulation primarily ensures forestry workers paid piecework have the same general rights and receive fair treatment as other workers across B.C. These news rules were brought into place through collaboration between the industry and the government of the day. They are followed by responsible contractors.

The problem is not that we need more or different rules to govern the behaviour of the silviculture contracting community which includes tree planters, brushers, spacers, cone-pickers, fire fighting and forest fuel management crews. What is needed is more effective enforcement of the existing rules that govern contractor behaviour. That puts the onus on government agencies, licensees and authorities that tender contracts and oversee the silviculture workplace to ensure that shirkers, scofflaws and criminals are corrected or weeded out.

It has been a perennial frustration for the legitimate silviculture contractor majority to see a minority of law-breakers and poor performers persist in the industry. Often they behave badly only to be back the next year seemingly with impunity. Some have returned even after criminal convictions related to fraud or theft on a previous contract. Even though these poor performers represent a small percentage of the industry the consequences of their behaviour goes beyond just being a nuisance in the marketplace. Their continual exploitation of lax enforcement puts workers in jeopardy and undermines the credibility of the good work of responsible contractors and the industry as a whole.

It has to be said that the circumstantial evidence would suggest that contract administrators are acting out of ignorance of the principles of due diligence. Too many administrators think when they contract out work they contract out any responsibility for how contractors behave conducting that work. Not only is this false, it violates the terms of government’s own contracts which state that the defense of due diligence is only available to administrators “if it can be demonstrated that all reasonable care was exercised in the conduct of the operations.” Recent allegations suggest an egregious failing in this regard.

Management and operational practices will improve if the minister’s investigation leads to specific guidelines around implementing contracts so provisions requiring contractor compliance with all laws affecting the work are taken seriously. It would also help if WorkSafeBC can come up with unambiguous direction that the owner actually provides the legally required Notice of Project, and how that information can be shared with the authorities that oversee silviculture camps and workplaces. In particular, the government has to remedy the continual problem of dealing with the often adverse outcomes of tendering in a low bid auction. If government is going to go generally with the cheapest price, then that requires even more stringent pre-qualification and monitoring processes to ensure that public money is properly spent and only companies fit to contract are active in the silviculture sector.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:25 am

jdtesluk wrote:If government is going to go generally with the cheapest price, then that requires even more stringent pre-qualification and monitoring processes to ensure that public money is properly spent and only companies fit to contract are active in the silviculture sector.
Alan Shepard wrote:It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract.

Rainman

Post by Rainman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:14 pm

Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Whoa is this new, one of their planters was killed by alcohol poisoning and found in the back of an ETV?

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 pm

This story was out several weeks ago. The death occured earlier in the year (June 23-24 or so). The widow had earlier been calling for an inquest into the incident. Based on the article, it appears that there are discrepancies between the coroner's reported cause of death (alcohol poisoning) and what was originally reported to the brother of the deceased by the company (heart attack). It is not possible to speculate, however, if this discrepancy is any part of the basis for the investigation.

I think in situations such as this, all are best not to make guesses at what may actually have happened, and to wait for the outcome of the investigations. It certainly forms part of a very bad story, but I think the worst thing here is that a family is without a father now. I hope the wife and kids have other people in the community to lean on.

Coaster

Post by Coaster » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:48 pm

More interesting news about Khaira and BCTS enabling them to get to Golden in one piece. In case anyone's forgotten, this debacle started back last winter on the coast. BCTS awarded Khaira a difficult coastal contract near Powell River. They ignored the fact the Khaira's bid was more than 40% lower than every other contractor - all of whom werre experienced in that type of planting. When the contractors complained citing possible safety issues, BCTS allowed it to happen anyway. It wasn't long after Khaira started that the RCMP, WCB, BCFSC and Health authorities were all called in. Multiple infractions were found but all were let go and Khaira continued on. The BC Forest Safety Council found Khaira was fraudulently certified yet allowed then to stay certified!! So much for safety....

Well apparently BCTS let Khaira off the hook by allowing them to walk away without completing the contract. Khaira said that they didn't realize helicopters were required in the inlets and so had not bid in that cost. It was abundantly clear at the time of bidding that helicopters were essential and that contractors were in fact responsible for ensuring the heli pads were in good shape. The other contractors should be pissed that this went down as it did. Khaira should have been given a non-completion which would have disallowed them from working in Golden and later giving us all that media black eye.

If I were the family of the planter who died, I would be sueing BCTS for negligence as they had multiple opportunities to stop this shady operator from ever being in Golden.

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 am

Update:
http://www.vancouversun.com/Tree+plante ... story.html

Dozens of tree planters who endured horrendous labour conditions at Khaira Enterprises work camps — including dirty drinking water, squalid living conditions and a lack of food — have been awarded a total of nearly $229,000.

Fifty-seven people who worked for Khaira between March and July of last year will receive the money in back wages, including overtime and vacation pay, as well as compensation for poor conditions, according to an employment standards branch decision dated Jan. 17.

In his ruling, branch member Karpal Singh noted that the campsites were unhygienic and unacceptable while some employees were not given meal breaks after five consecutive hours of gruelling physical work.

He said the toilet facilities were “grossly inadequate to meet the needs of the number of workers” and noted that many of the workers were underfed.

“Breakfast mostly consisted of tea and bread. There were apples but they were usually rotten,” he wrote, adding that often there was not enough food for dinner and no vegetables were served.

The company also deducted $25 per day from the workers’ paycheques for food and accommodation — even if they brought their own food.

Singh did not provide a breakdown of the award to each employee, citing privacy concerns, but said each worker will receive a separate summary sheet.

The employment standards branch got involved after 25 Khaira workers were found living in squalid conditions in a bush camp near Golden.

Their accommodations were unventilated storage containers, and they had insufficient food, no clean drinking water and worked up to 15-hour days. They also complained of racial slurs, and one man said he had a knife thrown at him by one of his employers.

The branch later expanded its investigation to all Khaira employees who worked before July 22, the date the probe began, and included employees who worked at Golden, Revelstoke, Texada Island, Powell River, Salmon Arm and Kamloops.

Ros Salvador, a lawyer with the B.C. Public Interest Advocacy Centre who represented the workers, called the decision a “monumental victory,” particularly as many of the workers have suffered homelessness because of lost wages and an inability to collect EI because the company did not accurately document their hours.

“This is the first official recognition that there were extreme violations of the workers’ rights,” she said.

The advocacy centre will hold a news conference at 10 a.m. today to announce it has also filed a human rights complaint on behalf of 21 African workers who worked for Khaira.

As part of the decision, Khaira owners Khalid Mahmood Bajwa and Hardilpreet Singh Sidhu, who bought the reforestation company in 2009, were fined $3,500 for at least seven violations of the Employment Standards Act.

B.C. Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair called the fine “a joke” given the deplorable conditions the employees suffered.

“There’s no deterrent here for anyone else,” he said. “If those workers hadn’t found us, if they hadn’t gone to the Public Interest Advocacy Group. If they hadn’t done all of this, the employer would have got away with not paying them ... and the penalty for that is $3,500? Tell me how that makes any sense at all.”

The workers testified they weren’t paid for statutory holidays or time spent travelling between work sites, that Khaira gave them conflicting information about hourly rates and that they weren’t paid for overtime.

For instance, in Revelstoke and Golden, Khaira recorded eight hours a day for the majority of employees, yet the workers testified they worked more than 12 hours a day, some up to 15 hours a day.

“It is unlikely that employees would have worked a flat eight hours per day in remote locations during peak tree planting season,” said Singh, in the decision.

Employee pay stubs between March and May 2010 did not show the hourly rate nor the number of hours worked.

Singh found the timesheets Khaira provided for the investigation were not credible and conflicted with the testimony of the employees who said they worked for more days and hours than were recorded by the company. Also, the wage statements that Khaira provided did not match the wage statements provided by the employees.

“We hope that Khaira is finally going to end its ... mistreatment and the falsification of documents will end and they will finally pay the workers the wages,” said Salvador.

Sinclair said many of the workers are having a hard time finding work and couldn’t get unemployment insurance because the company had recorded fewer hours than they had worked.

Salvador said the advocacy centre has sent all the evidence to EI in an attempt to get retroactive payments for the workers, but that Service Canada is “still relying on the false numbers from Khaira.”

As is its custom, Service Canada does not comment on individual cases.

Khaira has until Feb. 24 to file an appeal of the decision.

Neither Khaira nor the company’s lawyer were available for comment on Sunday.

Both Salvador and Sinclair asked how the substandard labour conditions were overlooked by officials and are seeking answers.

Sinclair said the province needs a single agency to enforce the labour rules rather than several different agencies, including the Ministry of Forests and the Workers’ Compensation Board.

“Five agencies aren’t going to go to that camp that only exists there for six weeks so someone has to be responsible for enforcing all those rules and making sure they are done and every camp needs to be inspected when it’s set up,” he said.

A 2006 memorandum of understanding from the Ministry of Forests acknowledged widespread violations of employment standards in the tree-planting industry and said the government would take a more active approach. Salvador wants to know why the government didn’t intervene sooner and has filed a Freedom of Information request in an effort to get more information.

ticrawford@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Tree+plante ... z1ByLGTrj9

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am

$229,000. Fifty-seven...
That's about 4020$ a piece. That seems about right for being screwed around for a summer and wages for planting, right? [Sarcasm Tag]
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd

Rainman

Post by Rainman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:10 pm

jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Mike wrote:
$229,000. Fifty-seven...
That's about 4020$ a piece. That seems about right for being screwed around for a summer and wages for planting, right? [Sarcasm Tag]
One may surmise that the money awarded would be on top of any wages already paid.

Perhaps a more relevant issue is whether there is an appeal, how that plays out, and the process of actually getting the money into the workers' hands.

Rainman

Post by Rainman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:29 pm

The wheels of bureaucracy roll slowly, as we all know. At least this one is moving, seemingly in the right direction. Getting money out of these scumbags will be the next battle, let's hope that everything is done to ensure the workers are properly paid out.

A message needs to go out to all the scamming contractors out there that the shenanigans have to stop. Over the years, there have been so many times when I have heard of people getting less than full pay and somehow the cases never were settled. Anyone remember the times when planters had to camp out at a certain contractors house to get paid? And the only reason that worked was because the guy's wife hated having them there and made her husband deal with it.

A big thanks to people like Jim Sinclair, who know right from wrong and are willing to put an effort to make things right when they are not.
Last edited by Rainman on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnbill

Re: Khaira Enterprises

Post by barnbill » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Date: Monday Jan. 24, 2011 10:09 AM PT

More than two dozen tree planters who endured harsh conditions in the B.C. backcountry have won a major victory against their former employer.

The B.C. Employment Standards Branch has ordered Khaira Enterprises to pay the workers more than $225,000 in unpaid wages.

A provincial investigation began in late July when the workers were removed from a Khaira Enterprises work camp, 40 kilometres west of Golden in southeastern B.C., after forestry ministry staff discovered what the labour minister described as "substandard conditions."

The workers, most of them landed immigrants from Burundi and the Republic of Congo, complained they had little food, no sanitation, unheated containers for shelter and were paid with bounced cheques, while working at various sites around the province.

At the time, B.C. Federation of Labour President Jim Sinclair said the employees were being treated like "virtual slaves" by the Surrey-based tree planting company.

Sinclair, lawyers with the B.C. Public Interest Advocacy Centre and one of the affected workers hold a news conference in Vancouver later today to discuss the Employment Standards Branch ruling.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

wow there's a first time for everything

jayBOT
Regular Contributor

Post by jayBOT » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Just saw this and rushed to the forums for the first time in months. Of course I got beat to it.
I really cant believe with how light the punishment is... Here's hoping the wages actually get paid out and there are some long term detrimental effects to Khaira Enterprises.

I'm getting some good mileage out of the CBC comments section. Most are on point but here are some fun ones to rage at...

Martinet wrote:
"Well then someone should have explained what life in the bush was like. I would have liked to see the look on their faces when they asked for the key to the executive washroom and were told to go in the woods. Were they expecting the amenities of urban life? What a laugh. I grew up without indoor plumbing until i was eight. We hauled our water and stored it in a cistern. Its called reality. But, does this mean I can sue the government because I grew up in rural Canada and didnt have access to the things that they are being paid for. Oh yeah, I should also mention that being on the family farm also meant I was subject to being "slave labour". Watch out Dad - I am sueing you. LMAO!!!"

And this guy Think Logic is all over the comment thread. Apparently he's made becuase the workers are not as stupid as him?
Not to take any weight away from what these people had to endure tree planting - but talk to ANY tree planter and your going to find that these immigrants had it good comparatively.

I watched a stoned foreman trip and shoot the hat off an unsuspecting planter... who then beat the foreman with his shovel.

We had bears destroy our tent village because someone left toothpaste in their tent... and we all had to sleep in the cook shack on mud. We also didn't have water so they pumped sludge into huge barrels, dumped alum on it - then mixed the remaining water with 60% peroxide and that's what we drank.

Washrooms???? LOL - your in the middle of nowhere. Dig a hole like the rest of did.

One night 3am off Babine Lake BC - a dam broke from all the rain and tore down the creek washing our camp into the lake. It was a miracle nobody died. I was under a foot of water in my tent and was lucky enough to find my knife and cut myself out. EVERYTHING was soaked... the temperature dropped to -7 and at 6am while we were still fishing our gear out of the lake and hanging clothes... they decided we were going planting.
Some of us refused and we got fired with no pay. They abandoned us in the middle of nowhere.

I'm sorry - but this story is somewhat biased. Although I have a pretty good idea of what these immigrants went through - I can't help but feel they are using their status for sympathy and the CBC is leading the charge.

Tree planting was the best thing I ever did, and by far the worst. I am glad I did it however. I took it as a lesson in character building. Not grounds to launch a law suit."
Nice. I hope that was really back-in-the-day...

Evergreen

Post by Evergreen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 pm

The really sad thing about this lovely award of money to workers is that it's theoretical. There has to be someone who can pay the money in order for the workers to get it. Khaira has no doubt filed for bankruptcy and the owners will likely file for personal bankruptcy so they don't have to pay. In theory filing for corporate bankruptcy does not protect an employer from the requirement to pay wages and the government. The company's directors are personally responsible to pay. However it appears that filing for personal bankruptcy does relieve the owners from paying. Don't forget the Batlang fiasco that occurred only a couple of years ago. Those planters still haven't been paid. Apparently workers can expect to get about 12 cents on the dollar for what they're owed by Batlang. Those funds come from the relatively recent bankruptcy sale of one of the owners houses.

The measures referred to in the Vancouver Sun article are far from addressing the systemic problems rife within BCTS that allowed this whole episode to play out. Khaira should have been shut down in Powell River in March which would have meant they'd never have been in Golden screwing everyone over and giving us all a black eye. They didn't complete the Powell River contract but BCTS let them walk anyway. BCTS are the real villains in this drama and they're hiding in the shadows hoping it will all just go away.

RPF

Post by RPF » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:24 pm

I'd like to now see BCTS brought to court to answer some tough questions regarding their lack of supervision and lack of enforcement of rules to allow this sad incident to happen in the first place. Hopefully one of the workers will decide to pursue this course of action and maybe win a larger settlement.

I can't comprehend how the people paying the bills (BCTS) were not aware of this happening or if they were why they turned a blind eye to the situation. It totally boggles my mind...

It wouldn't surprise me if Khairi will resurface under a new name and start this crap all over again. Unless BCTS changes the way they do business we'll see something similar happen again and again. I've seen things like this happen 20+ years ago (although not quite to this extent) and nothing seems to really change...

Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Evergreen wrote:The measures referred to in the Vancouver Sun article are far from addressing the systemic problems rife within BCTS that allowed this whole episode to play out. Khaira should have been shut down in Powell River in March which would have meant they'd never have been in Golden screwing everyone over and giving us all a black eye. They didn't complete the Powell River contract but BCTS let them walk anyway. BCTS are the real villains in this drama and they're hiding in the shadows hoping it will all just go away.
RPF wrote:I'd like to now see BCTS brought to court to answer some tough questions regarding their lack of supervision and lack of enforcement of rules to allow this sad incident to happen in the first place. Hopefully one of the workers will decide to pursue this course of action and maybe win a larger settlement.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any articles (defintely not the CBC one) which reveal to the average reader that Khaira was working for BCTS and what BCTS is and what their mandate is. All the newsmedia miss the real issue which are the fundamental problems resulting from BCTS's structure and mandate.

From their website FAQ-http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/bcts/faq/:

"What does it mean for BCTS to be described as more commercial than the small business program?

BCTS is more commercial than the small business program because of its focus on achieving more value for money on the expenditure side of the operation and increasing financial return on the revenue side. There is an emphasis on wealth creation from the opportunities provided through the program, rather than on job creation and other social objectives."

Wealth creation for the government that is- the profits are not passed on to the taxpayer. BCTS, like the BCLC, BC Hydro, and ICBC has just become a state owned coorporation where the profits are preversely given to massive corporate tax cuts thus contributing to a decreased revenue stream and neccesitating deficeit spending massive user fees and high consumption taxes (Carbon and HST).

Ah BC- Bring Cash boys...
RPF wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if Khairi will resurface under a new name and start this crap all over again. Unless BCTS changes the way they do business we'll see something similar happen again and again. I've seen things like this happen 20+ years ago (although not quite to this extent) and nothing seems to really change...
Already happened- Tiger Reforestation
http://www.replant.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... ger#p79276

bush

Post by bush » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 am

soooo. what role did wsca play in this drama?

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:42 pm

One may surmise that the money awarded would be on top of any wages already paid.
Were any wages paid?

Also...I think it's time to draft a media package in regards to Tiger Reforestation, Khaira Enterprises, and BCTS and start e-mailing it out. Can we stop this before it happens this time?...

wait a second...it was already reported on by the Vancouver sun? How is anyone taking bids from Tiger?
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/refo ... z182tum94F

I'm aware of at least 7 contracts that Tiger bid on including FFT work for Forsite in Merritt & Lillooet and several jobs in the north Okanagan including an MOF job out of Vernon that they are the low bidder on. Imagine the contempt they hold the system in that they actually registered Tiger at the same address that Khaira had.
Posted by Coaster

They bid on
PL12TKJ002 - OKANAGAN-COLUMBIA BUSINESS AREA - NORTH ZONE
+/- 250,000 trees
But it went to Seneca according to Aaron.

They bid on
MOF - Vernon - 545,940 trees

1 - AllStars - $129817 - 23.7 cents
2 - BD Silv - $149241 - 27.3
3 - Seneca - $149369 - 27.3
4 - Timberline - $153239 - 28.1
5 - Tiger - $1578343 - 28.9
6 - Evergreen - $160184 - 29.3
7 - Brinkman - $166458 - 30.5
8 - Gorilla - $169751 - 31.1
9 - Corsair - $176006 - 32.2
10 - AKD - $176022 - 32.2
11 - Coast Range - $195137 - 35.7
12 - Dewan - $208156 - 38.1
13 - Next Gen - $218376 - 40.0
MOF - Kamloops - 471,560 trees - early April

1 - Dewan - $121,750 - 25.8 cents
2 - AKD - $129,838 - 27.5
3 - Coast Range - $133,390 - 28.3
4 - Evergreen - $139,164 - 29.5
5 - Seneca - $143,838 - 30.5
6 - Dynamic - $149,094 - 31.6
7 - A&G - $154,184 - 32.7
8 - Tiger - $161,471 - 34.2
9 - Next Gen - $171,508 - 36.4
Forest Fire - 110,200 trees - FFT2011-PL001

Allstars Silviculture - $37,908.80 - 34.4 cents
AKD Reforestation - $40,468.80 - 36.7
Brinkman & Assoc - $41,882.00 - 38.0
Tiger Reforestation - $44,080.00 - 40.0
Rainforest Silviculture - $44,655.00 - 40.5
Evergreen Forest - $45,638.68 - 41.4
Akehurst & Giltrap - $47,314.80 - 42.9
Dewan Enterprises - $49,017.60 - 44.5
Zanzibar Holdings - $56,268.00 - 51.0
Coast Range - $65,433.60 - 59.4
Dynamic - $78,462.40 - 71.2
Forest Fire - 308,580 trees - FFT2011-PL002

Next Generation - $91,339.68 - 29.6 cents
Akehurst & Giltrap - $139,891.80 - 45.3
Evergreen Forest - $141,396.90 - 45.8
Tiger Reforestation - $151,204.20 - 49.0
Brinkman & Assoc - $157,615.68 - 51.1
Zanzibar Holdings - $159,918.60 - 51.8
Fieldstone Resources - $160,471.20 - 52.0
Dynamic Reforestation - $167,373.54 - 54.2
Rainforest Silviculture - $177,016.74 - 57.4
Dewan Enterprises - $243,778.20 - 79.0
AKD Reforestation - $293,151.00 - 95.0
Conventional Logging - 385,390 trees - FFT2011-PL003

Allstars Silviculture - $108,444.00 - 28.1 cents
Brinkman & Assoc - $126,651.61 - 32.9
Rainforest Silviculture - $128,083.30 - 33.2
Evergreen Forest - $134,783.00 - 35.0
Akehurst & Giltrap - $154,484.70 - 40.1
Leader Silviculture - $161,221.75 - 41.8
Dewan Enterprises - $161,863.80 - 42.0
Tiger Reforestation - $162,484.70 - 42.2
Dynamic - $182,005.17 - 47.2
AKD Reforestation - $196,754.00 - 51.0
Zanzibar Holdings - $212,836.90 - 55.2
Coast Range - $230,815.04 - 60.0
So hopefully they won't be getting any of those contracts, but should we contact the people responsible for them anyways, just in case? Coaster, would you know anything about finding contact information?
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

RPF

Post by RPF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:04 pm

More news from yesterday: (highlights are mine)

An award of $228,000 in back wages to a group of tree planters is a huge victory that shows the need for an independent investigation into the industry and coordinated enforcement to prevent similar abuses.
The Employment Standards Branch (ESB) recently determined that 57 former Khaira tree planters were entitled to $228,187 in back wages for work they did last year. Their employer Khaira Enterprises was also fined $3,500.
“This is a huge victory for these workers who had the courage to step forward,” says Jim Sinclair. “They also had the assistance of dedicated lawyers who helped them argue their case with the Employment Standards Branch. Most workers do not get this kind of legal help and stand little chance of collecting back wages from unscrupulous employers.”
“The experience of these Khaira workers highlights the haphazard nature of the enforcement of silviculture regulations in our province. These workers were let down by every single public agency that had the power to prevent the abuse that took place last summer,” Sinclair added.
There is no reason to believe anything has changed to prevent this kind of abuse as we head into the 2011 tree planting season. Worse still, the paltry $3,500 fine charged against Khaira Enterprises sends a signal to rogue operators that they can keep hundreds of thousands of dollars owed to their workers and risk a small fine of a few thousand dollars if they get caught,” says Sinclair.
“We need an independent investigation into this industry. We also need to ensure the public agencies that oversee it are adequately resourced to do the work. This includes the Employment Standards Branch, the Workers’ Compensation Board and the Ministry of Forests. A decade of budget cuts have left these agencies under resourced to do the work that needs to be done,” says Sinclair.

RPF

Post by RPF » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Another news story:

The B.C. Employment Standards Branch ruling ordered tree-planting firm Khaira Enterprises Ltd. to pay 57 tree planters – most of them landed immigrants from Republic of Congo and Burundi – back wages, including compensation for poor working conditions.
The tree-planting company, run by Khalid Mahmood Bajwa and Hardilpreet Singh Sidhu, was operating on a provincial government contract near Golden last summer when several of its workers were found to be living in squalid working conditions. The government pulled its contract with Khaira, and banned the company from bidding for other contracts for two years.
Mr. Sinclair praised the ruling against Khaira as a “victory” for employees but blasted the B.C. government for its failure to properly address the “systemic problem” of companies infringing workers’ rights “despite six agencies being in charge of inspecting.”
“While this case is an egregious one and one of the worst ones, it goes on in a lot of other places,” he said. “If you don’t crack down on this stuff, then it continues on and I guarantee that it will happen again. The ball is in the government’s court.”
The Western Silviculture Contractors’ Association, an organization that represents the province’s tree-planting contractors to both provincial and federal governments, said it also believes heightened scrutiny is needed.
John Betts, the association’s executive director, called for tighter inspection of government contract submissions to avoid situations like the Khaira Enterprises case. According to Mr. Betts, B.C.'s policy of accepting the lowest bid for the job often poses serious problems in the industry. He said that planting companies like Khaira that submit low-cutting contract offers to the government hurt not just workers but also the industry as a whole. “Being able to underpay or not pay your workers or to not run a proper camp gives you a real advantage in the marketplace.”
Mr. Betts criticized the government for its failure to properly scrutinize these companies that are “giving the industry a terrible black eye that it doesn’t really deserve.”
B.C. Minister of Forests, Lands and Mines, Pat Bell, said the Khaira Enterprises case demonstrates that an effective monitoring system is in place.
“We discovered the camp, we determined that it wasn’t successful and we reported it to the Ministry of Labour and the RCMP,” Mr. Bell said. “Despite the fact that something happened that probably shouldn’t have happened, it was reacted to quickly. Khaira will not be able to do this again.”
Mr. Bell said the province has a certification process where contractors must “pass muster” to be able to bid on contracts, including safety certifications. He also said that there are no plans to re-assess the province’s contract awarding process.
“We have a competitive tendering process and I think the public expects us to get best value for taxpayers’ dollars,” he said. “While I am not proud of the fact that Khaira created the environment and situation that was encountered, I do think that it was dealt with decisively.”

Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Where did you get the second article? This is the only one I have seen which mentions BCTS (not by name though) explains about the bidding process a bit.
RPF wrote:The Western Silviculture Contractors’ Association, an organization that represents the province’s tree-planting contractors to both provincial and federal governments, said it also believes heightened scrutiny is needed.
John Betts, the association’s executive director, called for tighter inspection of government contract submissions to avoid situations like the Khaira Enterprises case. According to Mr. Betts, B.C.'s policy of accepting the lowest bid for the job often poses serious problems in the industry. He said that planting companies like Khaira that submit low-cutting contract offers to the government hurt not just workers but also the industry as a whole. “Being able to underpay or not pay your workers or to not run a proper camp gives you a real advantage in the marketplace.”
Mr. Betts criticized the government for its failure to properly scrutinize these companies that are “giving the industry a terrible black eye that it doesn’t really deserve.”
And to add to that- you want to pay for high quality silviculture because you will get that back from increased stumpage and worker's income taxes.
RPF wrote:B.C. Minister of Forests, Lands and Mines, Pat Bell, said the Khaira Enterprises case demonstrates that an effective monitoring system is in place.
“We discovered the camp, we determined that it wasn’t successful and we reported it to the Ministry of Labour and the RCMP,” Mr. Bell said. “Despite the fact that something happened that probably shouldn’t have happened, it was reacted to quickly. Khaira will not be able to do this again.”
Mr. Bell said the province has a certification process where contractors must “pass muster” to be able to bid on contracts, including safety certifications. He also said that there are no plans to re-assess the province’s contract awarding process.
“We have a competitive tendering process and I think the public expects us to get best value for taxpayers’ dollars,” he said. “While I am not proud of the fact that Khaira created the environment and situation that was encountered, I do think that it was dealt with decisively.”
How far is Pat Bell's head stuck up his ass?

I feel that is has been fairly exstensively documented that BCTS and other agencies continually ignored warnings from the within the industry- i.e. Evergreen in Powell River which was months before the Golden incident happened.

This taxpayer dollar value thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me. First BCTS sells the lumber to some market logger. So if the money you are getting from the sale doesn't pay your silviculture obligations then I'm sure why you would be logging. The money for silviculture is coming from timber sales not the taxpayers. They just want to funnel extra money to what ever privatization/ corporate tax cut scheme is fashionable today.

I was reading Annual Allowable Cut Detriminations the other day and the Arrow Timber Supply Area generates 19 million dollars in stumpage but the government can barely be bothered to keep newly demoted "sub-district" minimally staffed.

In 2002, the Province was getting almost 27 million dollar from the Boundary TSA's forestry industry.
What they got in return:
Lost of their district office in 2004 and with it over 50 jobs. That's like losing a mill (they lost both in the few years after as well).

The current government (and by extension the BC public- city slickers most of them) have no conception that heavy investment in silvicutlure right now not only creates well paying jobs today but also safeguards the economy of tommorrow.

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Note the quote in my signature. Note that Khaira and related issues were being discussed as early as May/June 2010 on these forums (a search can find it easily), and that the camp wasn't shut down till July, and it didn't make news until then.

When a bunch of "no-good dirty unwashed hippie drinking smoking degenerate tree planters" (not that I think that, but planters do get portrayed in a negative light sometime) who are posting on an internet discussion board have more foresight and information than your entire government agency, you have to wonder what sort of effective monitoring system you have.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 pm

When a bunch of "no-good dirty unwashed hippie drinking smoking degenerate tree planters" (not that I think that, but planters do get portrayed in a negative light sometime) who are posting on an internet discussion board have more foresight and information than your entire government agency, you have to wonder what sort of effective monitoring system you have.
Hahaha, this cracks me up. Well said. Well, it's sad, but it's unfortunately funny at the same time since it's so true.

I'm so glad to be part of the great unwashed.

newforest

Post by newforest » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:38 pm

well I do hope the follow-up continues and those poor planters receive the monies in the judgement. I am watching a similar situation here in my country where 2,200 planters are supposed to split US $2.75 Million.

government agencies are always promising 'investigations'. the key is to see what they find in their investigation and what they actually do about it.

reading those online comments, I know I would hear the same thing in my country. Why, when I was a school kid, I walked 5 miles through snow to the schoolhouse and my daddy got paid by the company with a bag of coal! and we were happy to get it! Big companies know what they are doing, we should let them do what they want. The damn unions done wrecked everything. Suck it up!

but.....if 'Tiger' is allowed to continue in the business, it is rather telling that their bids are high now, yes? isn't that one result everyone would want?

Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 pm

newforest wrote: but.....if 'Tiger' is allowed to continue in the business, it is rather telling that their bids are high now, yes? isn't that one result everyone would want?
mmmm... not quite. It has been discussed on these forums before but Tiger, Dewan and AKD are all owned by the same people. They bid on the same contracts. Its called bid stacking and is not legal as far as I know. One bid sheet was posted here that showed AKD and Dewan 1-2 on a contract.

They can only get away with this because BCTS has a mandate to go for the lowest bid... and damn he torpedoes.

Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Perhaps it is time to end this once and for all. Does anyone know who regulates violations of the Canadian Competition Act (formerly the Combines Investigation Act)? This Act prohibits certain criminal offences, such as price-fixing and bid-rigging conspiracies, resale price maintenance, price discrimination and predatory pricing.

From what I understand, one must protest to the Commissioner of Competition, of the Competition Tribunal. The website appears to be:

http://competition.ic.gc.ca

Does anyone want to specifically tackle this project? Someone who doesn't mind spending a few hours on research, and taking the time to make an official complaint on this? If so, contact me and I'll put a follow-up post here that the issue is being addressed by someone from the forums.

If nobody volunteers within the next week or so, I guess I could do it, but I have a huge backlog of projects right now. I haven't even put together the 2009 Replant video, let alone the 2010 version.

bush

Post by bush » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:05 am

sounds like a job for wsca.