going planting alone?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
beth
Starting to Post

going planting alone?

Post by beth »

I have planted for two years, but I went both times with a group of friends. I am planning on going to a new company and I am not going with my friends this year because they don't want to do it this year. Is this a good or bad idea? Do lots of people do it? Oh and this company is Ontario...I have heard good things about them...but I hear bad things about Ontario planting...are the rumours true?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

What are you asking exactly? Is it a good idea to go to a new company alone?

I think that isn't something that is uncommon. My camps have a high percentage of returning planters, therefore, those people already know lots of people in the camp. However, of the first year planters that join us, very few know each other, although some of them do know one of the vets in camp, hence the reason they were able to get a job. For the most part, I don't think these people are badly off because they seem to be somewhat alone. Within a week, almost everybody knows everybody quite well, so you won't feel that uncomfortable. Meeting lots of new people has always been one of the many positive aspects of a planting job. Also, if you aren't there with a big group of friends, you probably have a slight advantage in that it will be a little bit easier to concentrate on the job more - for instance, it will be a bit easier to tear yourself away from the mess tent at 8pm and get to bed early, so you do a better job the next day.

One thing that I would suggest you can do is contact your foreman and/or supervisor and ask for contact information for some of the planters that will be returning to the camp this summer, who have worked there in previous years. This way, you'll get a chance to meet three or four people before you show up at the start of the season, and you won't feel like you don't know anybody at all.

As for planting in Ontario, I'll leave that up to other people to answer. I've always been told by planters who have worked both Ontario and western Canada that the money is slightly better out west, and the bugs aren't as bad. However, since I haven't actually worked in Ontario, that's only second-hand information, and so I'm not entirely qualified to give good advice on this topic.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Dr Adder
Starting to Post

Post by Dr Adder »

Obviously, it makes it fun in a strength in numbers sort of way, but it is by no means essential. If you have two years experience, you should have no problems fitting in anywhere.
I've planted in Ontario as well as pretty well every other province, i.e., MB,Sask,AB, BC, and Coastal BC and I feel the knock against Ontario is somewhat generalized. Most of the people who complain about Ontario have come from the large(shall remain nameless)companies that exist there. I worked for a smaller company and usually averaged around 300/day. There are bad companies and contracts in every province. I've seen bad contracts in every province and I've seen phenomenal contracts in every province. Just do your research I guess.
dot
Starting to Post

going out there alone

Post by dot »

My first year planting, I went all alone to Ontario, I was 17yrs old and very scared. But.....you make friends right away. You are in a camp of people who are there to rely on each other and therefore you are not alone and you make friends quickly. It is a bit harder when everyone already knows each other..but my experience has been that planters are generally very accepting people and are there for each other out in the bush.
As for planting in Ontario...I have done both Ont. and BC planting and I would say that for sure the money is better out west. The bugs are worse in Ontario too. With that said...the planting is generally a bit easier (give or take a few blocks!) in Ontario...with all prepped land and quicker land (flatter!). So really..its whatever you like. I don't think I could go back to Ontario planting after doing BC planting...I have grown accustomed to higher priced land in BC and enjoy that more now. But is all a person choice. dot
skibum_
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by skibum_ »

Its going to be my first year this spring and I am going alone. Tree planters seem liek a pretty chill group of people. The only worry I have is that I am only 18 and that the majority of the people will be older, which will make fittign in a little harder.
Justin
Gregor,Spangler,Eurotits
Regular Contributor

Post by Gregor,Spangler,Eurotits »

i went my first summer alone when i was 19....it was a pretty young camp though..great times and was cool to meet new people.

second summer i went to a new company alone too...it is a great way to meet new people and develop a lot of good friendships...

i dont really think that age matter too too much with planting...everyone is out there to make $ and have a fairly good summer...enjoy yourself