Military boots

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
bravo1515
Regular Contributor

Military boots

Post by bravo1515 »

Has anyone used any military boots for planting? I'm thinking of the desert ACU or Belleville style. There are always lots on ebay and they are generally much cheaper than a similar pair of work boots, I'm just not sure if they would hold up. I am thinking of of using them in conjunction with my caulks for fome days.

Any thoughts or responses would be great.
kingjames_2nd
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Military boots

Post by kingjames_2nd »

I happen to know that YOUR MOM WEARS ARMY BOOTS.

haha.

ok seriously though. I had a rookie on my crew last year who had army surplus black, half way up to the knee, laced all the way up, shiney leather, painfull looking army boots. I tried them on one day and it felt like they had no cushon for the soles of the feet. He didnt mind them but then again he never planted in anything else. I would recomend a good pair of hiking boots.

I've used a large number of those marks work warehouse type work boots ranging from 29.99 to 129.99 but they all fall apart within 30 days ( at most), they get wet, heavy and dont dry out, and generally arent much comfort either. I likes my hikers.

I've never planted coastal or needed caulks so I'm no help in that department.
------------------------------------------

"be patient theres alwas some trees somewhere" - theoldman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 am
vacationer

Post by vacationer »

Bailey's, an excellent forestry supply company based in northern California, sells an incredible variety of caulked boots -- hikers, plain old orange safety boots, and calf-high lace-ups. The best pair of boots they sell, high leather lace-ups with steel toes and full Vibram soles, are only a little over 200 bucks. They ship really quickly and there's no extra charge to ship to Canada.

http://baileysonline.com
LoudDevil
Regular Contributor

Post by LoudDevil »

I have tryed the military boots, if your going for comfort I wouldnt even pick a pair up, there is no padding its all leather. They hold up pretty good but the toes in most of the boots are cardboard and after a few days in the swamp they will turn to mush. in otherwords dont buy them unless you have an inch of callus on your foot, make decent backup boots
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I recommend skipping the military boots. I always have a pair of caulks handy, but plant mostly in a good set of hikers. Spend an extra 30-40$ and get some quality, but keep a few things in mind:
-Avoid fabric speedlacing, you know those fabric loops that guide your laces. These will fray and break within weeks. Metal or burly plastic lace guides only!
-An abrasion-resistant toe guard is handy, but only if it is double stitched onto the boot, or else it will depart.
-Avoid work boots with no heel. Many work boots have a flat sole, with no transition from the main tread to the heel. These are mostly popular in construction and factory jobs, especially steel-walkers who don't want any edges on their footbed. Planters, however, generally need a heeled boot due to the extra support they incorporate.
-Avoid low-cut or 3/4 cut. You will simply get crap in your boot. Go for the standard high cut.
-Bring an extra set of GOOD footbeds. You will love them halfway through the season when you switch over your old hammered ones.
I find Asolo, Merrell, and Zamberlains usually offer a good boot. I hit the Co-op and some of the discount shops around this time of year and usually find good deals.
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

if your planning on planting for a couple years or more, invest in a pair of mountaineering boots. throw down 300 plus once and you'l keep em for at least two years. super supportive, completely waterproof, comfortable, and bomber
Tupperfan

Post by Tupperfan »

Well, I for one like military boots. But not any military boots, nor do I think it's for everyone nor any situation.

First, yes, they are a little less comfortable and lest breathable than some other boots, so that might be the first thing you have to think about.

The second thing would be what kind of land will you be planting? If you're planting mostly fast land where you might plant a shitload of trees and go through most good boots in a season, I'd recommend buying two pairs of steel-toed military boots in an army surplus. They are cheap and you'll be covered if/when you go through the first pair. A second pair will be useful when your first pair didn't have time to dry despite a night in the dry tent(altough bread bags in the boots would keep you dry for a while).

If you're planting slower, slashy, hilly land, then I'd definitely go for good hiking boots. Not that you might not go through boots there as well, just a little less likely as, well, you'll go slower and you don't need to plant as quickly to make as much (or more) money. Therefore, high-quality hikers would fare better on this type of land, be more comfortable and be worth the long-term investment.

As for the military boots themselves. Definitely go steel-toe, the other duty boots will get destroyed quite quickly in any land, mostly if it's wet. Don't go with high-laces boots, that's just a bad plan, mobility and comfort-wise. And buy the heeled variety as the flat ones are just not made for anything ressembling treeplanting.

KingJames: Those "half way up to the knee, laced all the way up, shiney leather, painfull looking army boots" your planter wore, it almost sounds like the dude bought parade boots or something. There's a variety of military boots for different tasks and situation. The parade ones are definitely the worst ones you could get!

As a tree-deliverer, I now use mostly military boots as my tasks don't put the same kind of toll on my feets, and they are pretty good for driving. Only when it rains or it's really wet/muddy would I use steel-toed rubber caulks.

Feel free to disagree, hehe!
Last edited by Tupperfan on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bravo1515
Regular Contributor

Post by bravo1515 »

Thanks for the info guys. This is my 9th season so I pretty much know what works for me. If the military boots aren't that comfy I think I will pass.
I've tried double boots (I think Koflach) but didn't like the weight and they actually didn't hold up as long as I though they would so at $300 I was quite dissapointed.
I think I will stick with hikers and caulks for this season. Why mess with what works, I guess.
I was hoping to save some bucks if the military boots got good reviews but comfort is really important.

I plant in BC interior so I don't get the extreme steep, slashy, rainy days but the caulks are great for the odd one here or there.