Face Gear

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Catherine
Regular Contributor

Face Gear

Post by Catherine »

What about facial gear against bugs? (nets or what nots) Practical or just a bee keeper thing? How about clear lens sunglasses 8)- no point? Is mosquito consumption an aquired taste...? :shock:
If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace" John Lennon
kingjames_2nd
Replant Forums Highballer

bugs!

Post by kingjames_2nd »

i find that bugs dont bug me most of the time. at most i spray on a little bug spray with deet or spray it onto my hand and smear it onto my face ( never above the eyes)

The block where my avitar picture was taken i was forced to wear that big sweater and it was like 30 degrees celcious out. The bugs were so think there especially by my tree line that i could swat at my shoulders every 2 or 3 trees and kill anoth 100. instances like that and i wish i had a face mask.

Just make sure you have ear phones on for 2 reasons. 1 you cant hear the bugs so you dont notice them as much and 2: it stops them from flying into your ears.

eating them is ok so long as you dont breath them in....
getting them in the eye sucks, especially when they are trying to crawl away.
up the nose tickles.
when you venture to the back of your piece to releive your self, make sure you "go" fast like. bug bites in the bottom parts REALLY suck
Motoca
Regular Contributor

Face Gear against Bugs the Motoca Balabug

Post by Motoca »

Catherine

The Motoca Balabug seals up critical gaps around your head, face, neck, ears and nose providing maximum protection from the smallest of pests while at the same time, allowing unrestricted visibility (No glare from face-mesh).

It weighs only 91 grams, it is cooler (less hot) than a sweatshirt wrapped around your head and neck, it has a breathing zone with a nosee'm mesh to stop them critters from crawling up your nose or breathing them in, and you can cover the breathing zone if there is too much dust or soot on the block; the Balabug has a double pane on the ears to stop bugs from biting or flying into your ears and it has a visor to keep the sun off your eyes.

The Thunder Bay Shirt also has a double pane on the shoulders down to the shoulder blades for maximum bug non-biting. It is loose, breathable, dries quickly, it is water repellent, fully sealed and has armpit ventilation with nosee'm meshing that allows for breeze in while keeping bugs out. The shirt and the Balabug are much more comfortable and cooler in 30 degrees celsious and they minimize your exposure to deet.

Planting with music on is a personal preference, I prefer to plant without listening to music; planters need to be aware of their surroundings (bears, forepeople, machinery in some cases) but if you can't plant without music the Thunder Bay shirt has an Earphone Cable Dock which allows you to put in your mp3 player or cd player in the chest pocket and run the cable to your ears from inside the shirt so that your cable is not exposed getting tangled.

Check out http://www.motoca.ca
You may have to scroll side ways to get to the Balabug.
Motoca Specific Gear Inc.
PO Box 38726 North Vancouver BC
Canada V7M 3N1
Tel: (604) 984-4327
Fax: (604) 924-6011
Anywhere in Canada
Tel: 1 877 4m0 to ca (460 86 22)
Fax: 1 866 628 62 23
joseluis@motoca.ca
http://www.motoca.ca
huge
Regular Contributor

bug net hats

Post by huge »

last year around vanderhouf in BC the bugs got to merciless levels and I actually tried planting with a bug net over my face, something I had previously only allowed myself at the cache on the grounds that it reduced visibility. it was a godsend, any reduction in speed from limited sight was more than made up for by my ability to focus on planting in the face of thick sheets of anti-me skittos and blackflys.

I was using the silly looking outdoor research bug hat with the spring-ring around the neck, I found that combined with a ballcap and a bandana-band to keep the whole contraption together it kept the mesh taught enough to keep the blur to a minimum. If you're going to buy a bug net look for one in black and that will keep sagging and bagging to a minimum.

the balabug from motoca is an intriguing option... wicked expensive but if bug season gets bad again this year I can see making $45 bucks back via enhanced planting via enhanced sanity.

a planter on my crew spent literally hours in the van and in camp fashioning this baroque contraption out of waxed carboard, bug mesh, twine, used tshirt and sleeping pad foam. the result was a freakish mash up of mexican wrestling mask and dr. who bad-guy costume that was supposed to keep the bugs off his face without letting them bite through to his head... somehow it seemed to let the bugs in while collecting snot and blood in front of his eyes... if there was a $12 OR bug hat or $45 high-design balabug for sale in camp I figure he wouldn't have thought twice about that expenditure.

I've never like mosquitoes, but blackflys taste like raspberrys.
skibum_

Post by skibum_ »

i could never stand a bug net. I never really have had problems with bugs though. I think that having amazing bug lotion/spray and not showering during the week combines for a way of keeping them at bay. I also cut the sleeve off of a t-shirt and use it like a headband to cover my ears and pop my collar to cover my neck. through these methods, i have never had buy issues on my head.
Justin
Plantador
Starting to Post

Post by Plantador »

There's only been one shift so far in my planting career where I would have given a day's tally to have a bug net. I'm usually a t-shirt over the head when it's bad kinda guy, but one contract my second year still gives me the heebady-jeebadys! Black flies that looked like fog over the block, 5 straight days!! That's the closest I've ever been to going insane. Several people couldn't plant cuz their faces got so swollen. Those freak days are rare, though. Usually descent spray is enough, and, like I said, a t-shirt when it's super bad. But the not showering part? Huh?
Dude, it's a Llama.
Motoca
Regular Contributor

Skibum Showers

Post by Motoca »

Skibum:

Please make an effort to shower or otherwise rinse off every night after work. It will keep any wounds, bites and rashes clean and disinfected and they will heal faster that way. Wash off any and all residues of chemicals that absorb through your skin affecting your health and ability to work.

I can't remember where I read that.
Motoca Specific Gear Inc.
PO Box 38726 North Vancouver BC
Canada V7M 3N1
Tel: (604) 984-4327
Fax: (604) 924-6011
Anywhere in Canada
Tel: 1 877 4m0 to ca (460 86 22)
Fax: 1 866 628 62 23
joseluis@motoca.ca
http://www.motoca.ca
Gnarly
Regular Contributor

Post by Gnarly »

Hmmm, bathing daily- a novel idea. I just might...oh who am I kidding? More attractive to bugs, and actually being able to smell the full extent of odors wafting from my crewmates in the van....eep!
Yaar!
jack
Starting to Post

Post by jack »

This is my first year tree planting, but coming from a small town I do a lot of camping during black fly season (Pickeral season opens in may). The black flies, mosquitoes are attracted to dark colours, nice smelling odours, and carbon dioxide or.

So when I go camping I wear light colours. Showering isn't an option. The best to keep the bugs away is to find away to plant without breathing. hahaha.
bravo1515
Regular Contributor

Re: Face Gear

Post by bravo1515 »

Or you can just plant in an area that doesn't have bugs. The south interior of BC is pretty good. I spent 5 years in northern ON and can say I had my fill of bugs. Planting around Kamloops has been pretty much bug free for the last 3 summers. Well, April to June anyway.
krahn

Post by krahn »

yeah i second that, the south of BC is dreamily bug free, in comparison to most places i've planted.

i tried the motoca bug hat last season, and i'd recommend it... it doesn't work well for those emergency days, when you almost go insane, for that i still cary a super cheap mesh bughat (not the slightly more expensive one with the brim, you can't see through those) since the motoca one doesn't protect the face enough. it's basically like wrapping a shirt around your head, which works well too. but more breathable, it's very light and comfortable, might get a few comments like "hey dork" but they're just jeoulous!

and some people can go out there with no deet and be fine. for me however i can't get used to those flying menaces, i need to either cover up or constantly use Deep Woods Off, but even that doesn't work for clouds of blackflies.

the watkins cream stuff works great for mosquitos.
Tupperfan

Post by Tupperfan »

A little Watkins, plus an occasional spray of Off Deep Woods over my clothes and I'm good, even when facing endless clouds of blackflies in swamps. They don't bite me, just bug, and I got used to it for the most part. An exception was when I lost it while getting a quad out of a huge, unavoidable mudhole at 8pm last spring...took me a while, it was knee deep and I think I might have prayed god, but I got it out and it was the best ride out ever!

On a sidenote, I think black flies' taste is actually pretty decent. Somewhat akin to blueberries...
LoudDevil
Regular Contributor

Post by LoudDevil »

tupperfan is right after awhile the start to taste alright....the more you eat the less their are, plus you could always use the calerioes.

the only time the bugs slow me down is when they get in my eye getting stuck in the lashs
jco2008
Starting to Post

Post by jco2008 »

bug nets are definately worth the investment. I've planted for three seasons and I always carry a bug net. I recently just bought a bug net from this outdoors store in saskatoon and it is the best bug net ive used. It has elastic underarm ties. It makes the bug net tight so nothing can get in.
LScott
Regular Contributor

Post by LScott »

I've always thought that a pack of dragonflies on leashes or a really light back-pocket bug zapper would be pretty awesome.
black flies and mosquitoes suck, but once the wasps come out, I'm begging for black flies.
Nothing even compares to hornet and wasp paranoia. at my last company we called it "the terror". I don't know if they are an isolated alberta problem, but seriously, being chased down an entire rip by a pack of hornets and freaking out at the tinniest little hint of a buzz everytime i stick my shovel in the ground. that is the worst.
the_dude

Post by the_dude »

ya dude, living in terror for a month in summer is awful. the only thing thats worse is when that terror is realized
Tupperfan

Post by Tupperfan »

LScott wrote:I've always thought that a pack of dragonflies on leashes or a really light back-pocket bug zapper would be pretty awesome.
Always thought the same thing, that'd be great!
LScott wrote: Nothing even compares to hornet and wasp paranoia. at my last company we called it "the terror". I don't know if they are an isolated alberta problem, but seriously, being chased down an entire rip by a pack of hornets and freaking out at the tinniest little hint of a buzz everytime i stick my shovel in the ground. that is the worst.
Right there with you...running away from those monsters!
LoudDevil
Regular Contributor

Post by LoudDevil »

we could always try hooking some dragon flies onto fishing line then tie the other end to ur hat
krahn

Post by krahn »

i had The Terror last summer in saskatchewan, oh my god, i've never seen so many unruly wasps and hornets, every day was a battle. the sandy soil didn't make up for it.

and yes, dragonflies are a gift from above. too bad he isn't more giving.
LScott
Regular Contributor

Post by LScott »

i think i've actually developed an allergy to wasps from being stung so much. After being hit about five times a day in Saskatch. I got all swollen and rashy and crazy... To the point where I had to stop part way through the day. I'm hoping this summer in BC won't be as bad as that. The warmer summers might be making them come out earlier too, no?
Someone should develop some sort of anti-wasp spray.
krahn

Post by krahn »

okay here's a technique for you guys....

there was a dude last summer who never got stung. he said what he did was every time he hit a wasp or hornet nest (which in that aread happened on a daily basis, for some people once per bag-up) he froze. didn't even take the shovel out, just turned into a statue. waited for the little monsters to calm down, then slowly move away.

now i don't have the balls to try this, i'll run as fast and far as i can as people who stop too soon get stung some more, but... one other person was backing him on this. seems too cruel to be a prank! maybe there's some truth to this? anyhow i think i need to see it in action before i try it.
jono

Post by jono »

Last edited by jono on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mblackfly
Regular Contributor

Post by mblackfly »

Catherine wrote:What about facial gear against bugs? (nets or what nots) Practical or just a bee keeper thing? How about clear lens sunglasses 8)- no point? Is mosquito consumption an aquired taste...? :shock:
rooookie!!! lol don't even bother with the wussy vest, if you are afraid of bugs than treeplanting isn't for you. just slather yourself with watkins for the skin and off spray for your clothes. Also, the one time I used the wussy vest (during my rookie career) I got blackflies and skeeters underneat it and then they REALLY freaked out and ate me alive. Then my crew boss caught me wearing it and burnt it infront of me. *sniff*

p.s. dont have babies for the next 5-6 years. if the watkins doesnt retard your children, then the pesticides in the trees will.