Western Pacific

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
Mike Sampson
Regular Contributor

Western Pacific

Post by Mike Sampson »

anybody know about a planting co. operating in the Quesnel area named Western Pacific. They have an ad in a Victoria newspaper right now.

thanks
I'd rather be in the wilderness.
the_dude
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by the_dude »

i've only heard things, never planted with them, but have heard that its a gong show, guy i met on the greyhound told me that delivery was fucked, people were waiting for trees all the time, and that everything was underbid.

but again, this is only second hand info, might just be a bitter pissed off guy who got fired for all i know
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

i've heard from several people that they suck huge balls.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

or since there's no slander on this board, i would say under no circumstances should you work for them. dont waste your time
daleks

Post by daleks »

they have had an ad running the local vanc. island weeklies for about 4 issues now...
went north to work with them a few years back, along with 5 or 6 other veteran island planters..(mostly, we wanted to get out of town)....no accommodation arranged, no advances, the fellow who pretended to be the supervisor was a local skidder/logger owner/operator, fronting for the real owner who had run into trouble with forestry...very low prices (were raised by 2 cents after we threatened to quit).....i left after a week, mostly spent holidaying around, the others stayed.....on the way back to vanc island i ran into Anunda T.L., who wanted to get out anywhere to work, needed money for family, had not worked in several years....went back up there with him, nothing had improved, but he and five others stayed to the end, found their own accommodation...end of contract, no payment or advances were forthcoming, so Anunda and most of the crew found the real owner in Quesnel, approached him at his house, and received a partial payment the following morning (they had "asked" nicely the night before lol)....no more money ever was paid out to this date....
DON'T PANIC
Rob the Checker
Starting to Post

Post by Rob the Checker »

I haven't worked for West Pac, but they lent me a spare tire when I was in a pinch and without question or any hassle, it was super-cool as I was already down a tire at the time.

Their camps seem to be on par with every other camp I have ever seen...

But I can't actually speak about their planting or organization at all.
TheHamsterizer

Re: Western Pacific

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Avoid this company like the PLAGUE. They are terrible.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
vacationer

Post by vacationer »

I've heard nothing but bad things about them -- disorganized, no one really in charge, shitty working conditions.
jess
Regular Contributor

Post by jess »

i have a really good friend who crew bossed for Western Pacific - an amazing, super-cool individual who worked hard for her crew. However, to this day i can not figure out why she stayed with WP for so long. So many of her stories were of really disorganized situations, bush camps where planters did their own cooking, etc.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

jess wrote:i have a really good friend who crew bossed for Western Pacific - an amazing, super-cool individual who worked hard for her crew. However, to this day i can not figure out why she stayed with WP for so long. So many of her stories were of really disorganized situations, bush camps where planters did their own cooking, etc.
That's where I worked... Camping, cooking for yourself and fire hours. Getting up at 3:30 to make breakfast in the dark was so surreal it was hilarious. My foreman was the most attractive woman I have ever seen in the bush, that was pretty surreal too. Ever seen a swedish swimsuit model knee deep in mud trying to push a quad? It doesn't really compute.
Mr. Amazing

Post by Mr. Amazing »

These guys set the bar high, and reach it on a daily basis! Amazing prices, management, and logistical skills! They are the "FedEx"/"Google"/"Wal-Mart" of the planting world! Truly one of the greatest companies in the industry. It would be a ~privilege~ to be offered a position with them! Highly, highly, highly recommended!!!!
The King of Nowhere
Regular Contributor

Post by The King of Nowhere »

Okay, who are you Mr. Amazing? Are you some sort of Robot from Jupiter to make everything....for lack of a better word, Amazing?

Only you, Mr. Amazing, could contradict everything these planters have been saying (and what i've heard about WP too) by comparing them to great well-respected companies like Walmart.

Rock on dude.
Karen loved animals, but the Cheetahs betrayed that trust.
Mr. Amazing

Post by Mr. Amazing »

Wal-Mart may have it's critics, but as far as refining "just-in-time" inventory systems, and promoting employee morale, they're the best. Well, they share that bestness with Western Pacific. It's tough being at the top, but West-Pac and Wal-Mart do it well!
Tupperfan

Post by Tupperfan »

Mr. Amazing is amazing!
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

I made the mistake of joining a crew for a short while between contracts because Scott Wilson worked for my partner some years ago. There was no camp cook- cook for yourself, favoritism & very little skilled help. I ended up getting paid to go to the biggest block to collapse boxes ( cause Scott was busy chasing tail) spent 6 hrs at it. Got my check 2 months later after I threatened to call the labor board and after 4 months I had not received my roe after calling countless times. The company is run by kids with minimum experience and they usually leave after a season or 2. Pay- not much to write about- that was 6 yrs ago? cant say much more because I dont know more than my experience.
roughing it in the rough
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Post by 3plantor »

Was just browsing the companies when i was shocked to see West Pac in here among ACTUAL treeplanting companies. West Pac is held under the name of the owner Bahadir Lidder an indian guy but i think it's actually ran by his brother. i worked for them last season 2008 and i had to sign up to this to talk sense into anyone who is thinking of planting for these guys. They're con-men.

They hire immigrants, everyone is either indian or african. Therefore they have no idea what they're gettin into and West Pac utilizes that fact to it's full potential. If you are only skimming this and dont intend to read my entire post then know this above all else... THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU!!!

I think all the previous posts confirm this fact... they were late with all their paychecks, there were always mistakes, it was an absolute bitch trying to fix those mistakes, they never paid me or any of my crew of african guys our final paycheck, they didn't even pay our foreman. We all reported them to Labour Relations until we got some money out of them... not the full amount. So if they aren't shut down this year by Labour Relations then i want you to know that if you go and work for these guys then you're an idiot and you fully deserve all the consequences your idiot decision brings.

The Lidder guy simply pocketed all our cash and skipped town. Never answered his phone again and we never heard from him again until we reported them. It was absolutely disgusting not paying the black guys, they were either immigrant or refugee and some of them didn't even speak english so they needed that money more than anyone and they would never have known any of their rights if i hadn't told them about Labour Relations.

Dave Callan the foreman is just some red neck trucker who's no experience in silviculture. One of the supervisors was morbidly obese... not slightly pudgy or big boned but actually morbidly obese... he's a danger to the shipping industry and he's the guy who's running trees so how many trees do you think we got when he wasn't sitting in the truck ALL fucking day.

Sorry Scooter if this post contravenes the inappropriate site posting rules but it would be a sin if i didn't pass on this information. It's one thing having a few mistakes here and there on your paychecks but you cant go around messing peoples lives up by not paying them anything after they spent all their money getting out to BC and Canada in the first place.

Basically Western Pacific are capable of fucking things up more than bankers and they've ruined more lives than crack cocaine!
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

were these guys planting a FFT contract near Quesnel last season?
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Post by 3plantor »

Yes they were... everything out of Quesnel. The checkers were cimco and they eventually dropped the contracts they had with West Pac because Dave Callan routinely blew his top when West Pac routinely failed block quality. He never said anything to us, the planters, yet i heard all about his shouting matches at the cimco office. He's a child. I mean it's not hard getting 90 percent quality for every block... which is what was required, but they failed every one.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

If it's the company that I'm thinking of, they were on an FFT contract and were working a block directly behind my piece. They were extremely loud and cattle planting and it looked like they were just slutting them in when I stopped to see what the hell was going on back there. I'm not sure how two of their people ended up at the front of my piece but I had just gone back in after bagging up and two of what I assume was supervisory staff came wandering through with grocery store bags in hand and chatting away in some foreign language I couldn't understand. They asked what company I worked for and why I was there then left when I asked them to get out of my land. It was all rather strange.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

When I worked for them briefly I met a guy who claimed to be the owner of the company. As it turned out, he was not really the owner but was hired by the real owners to pretend to be the owner. Kind of strange.
Captain Slashpile

Post by Captain Slashpile »

I went to try and work at red rock pub on the west side....I talked to the owner who said he owned West Pac...Maybe that will help in future...
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

This is the strangest thread that I've read in a bit. I like.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Post by 3plantor »

Bahadur Lidder is the indian guy who has West Pac in his name and he owns the RiverRock Pub on the westside. He employs Dave Callan to do all his dirty work in the silviculture industry. The supervisors the previous post were talking about were part of the african crew from senegal and the congo. They speak their own particular dialect. They were good guys only very little experience and no real clue about what they're doin which explains why they were in your piece. They told me the spacing was 7's and 8's so i start planting 2.5 - 3 metres like always but we kept gettin reports back that we were gettin 14's all the time. After the senegal foreman told me i was spacin wrong i got him to take a plot... it was bang on and after a chat i realised that he was tellin the rest of the crew to plant 2.5 - 3 FEET!!! He had no clue.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

3plantor wrote:Bahadur Lidder is the indian guy who has West Pac in his name and he owns the RiverRock Pub on the westside. He employs Dave Callan to do all his dirty work in the silviculture industry. The supervisors the previous post were talking about were part of the african crew from senegal and the congo. They speak their own particular dialect. They were good guys only very little experience and no real clue about what they're doin which explains why they were in your piece. They told me the spacing was 7's and 8's so i start planting 2.5 - 3 metres like always but we kept gettin reports back that we were gettin 14's all the time. After the senegal foreman told me i was spacin wrong i got him to take a plot... it was bang on and after a chat i realised that he was tellin the rest of the crew to plant 2.5 - 3 FEET!!! He had no clue.
So they were slutting them in like I thought! ha! It all makes much more sense now. The spacing with FFT in that area was definitely 7's and 8's including naturals in the plot. The River Rock has some fairly decent food for those who are in Quesnel and don't mind going a little out of the way for some eats (much easier if you have a vehicle).
Captain Slashpile

Post by Captain Slashpile »

Its not too hard w/o wheels....cross foot bridge, climb hill. Its on the eastern edge of the "west side". Not like I wanna go there, thats like competition to where I sling grits.
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

Symbol of the Government of Canada

Job Bank

www.jobbank.gc.ca
Skip to content | Skip to institutional links Check the help on Web Accessibility features
Common menu bar links

Français
Home
Contact Us
Help
Search
canada.gc.ca

Home > Search > Results > Job Advertisement
Job Bank Links

Job Seekers / Workers
o My Job Seeker Account
o Job Search
o Student / Youth Job Search
o Job Match
o Job Alert
o Résumé Builder
o Career Navigator
o Job Search Safety Advice

Training & Careers

Frequently Asked Questions

Page tools
o Self-Employment

Employment Standards & Regulations

HR for Employers

Hyperlinking & Crawling Policy

Proactive Disclosure
Proactive Disclosure

Job Advertisement
Job Search Safety Advice

E-mail this Job E-mail this Job

Job Number: 5507486

Title: Silviculture worker (TREE PLANTING, BRUSHING, SLASHING, FALLING) (NOC: 8422)

Terms of Employment: Seasonal, Part Time leading Full Time, Day

Salary: To be negotiated, Piece Work

Anticipated Start Date: 2011/04/15

Skill Requirements:

Education: Some high school

Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.): First Aid Certificate, Driver's licence

Experience: Will train

Languages: Speak English, Read English, Write English

Type of Equipment: Chain saw

Location Experience: British Columbia

Weight Handling: Up to 23 kg (50 lbs)

Specific Skills: Thin tree stands, Prune trees, Graft trees, Plant seedlings, Cut weeds and undergrowth

Additional Skills: Write daily basic progress reports

Security and Safety: Medical exam, Drug test, Criminal record check

Own Tools/Equipment: Tools, Safety equipment/gear, Steel-toed safety boots, Hard hat, Safety glasses/goggles, Safety harness, Safety vest, Gloves

Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced environment, Handling heavy loads, Physically demanding, Standing for extended periods, Bending, crouching, kneeling, Large workload

Work Site Environment: Outdoors, At heights, Confined spaces, Dangerous, Wet/damp, Noisy, Odours, Hot, Cold/refrigerated

Transportation/Travel Information: Willing to travel regularly, Travel expenses not paid by employer

Work Location Information: Various locations

Other Languages: Punjabi

Essential Skills: Document use, Writing, Oral communication, Working with others, Problem solving, Decision making, Job task planning and organizing, Finding information, Continuous learning

Other Information:TRAVEL ALL OVER BC REQUIRED.

Employer: BBK Contracting Ltd.
How to Apply:

Please apply for this job only in the manner specified by the employer. Failure to do so may result in your application not being properly considered for the position.

Contact Name: KHILA BALBIR SINGH
By Mail:
343 WINDER STQUESNEL, British ColumbiaV2J 1C7
By E-mail: BBKCONTRACTING@HOTMAIL.COM

Advertised until: 2011/03/25

This job advertisement has been provided by an external employer. Service Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, authenticity or reliability of the content.
roughing it in the rough
kenax
Location: in a truck somewhere in Europe: http://kenax.net/travel

Post by kenax »

With the permission of Scooter I just copied updated information from this thread to the Treeplanter’s Database found at http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/ to make it easier to view comments by treeplanters and compare treeplanting companies against one another, in the hopes that they will treat and pay their planters better.
Check out my tree planting website http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/ where I wrote down all my tips how to plant fast and all the other tips I accumulated after 7 years of planting.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

TheHamsterizer wrote:When I worked for them briefly I met a guy who claimed to be the owner of the company. As it turned out, he was not really the owner but was hired by the real owners to pretend to be the owner. Kind of strange.
thats awesome. decoy owners. who even thinks of that?
bryanwright
Starting to Post

Post by bryanwright »

worked with them 13 years ago as a rookie, after reading these posts it looks like nothing has changed, don't work for them!
Pandion

Post by Pandion »

Are these guys still working? I did my rookie year in 98 with these clowns, after a Celtic foreman dropped me last minute. All the stories are true, unfortunately. Dave Callan should not work in silviculture. He bragged about once planting 900 trees and taught us to back cut all four sides of the tree to close the hole. The entire crew would circle every tree back cutting and the checkers would complain that the trees were too tight. :x Western Pacific was so bad they made Summit seem like the holy grail of treeplanting.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I've seen no sign of them on the public bids. They are not identified on the list of SAFE certified companies. However, BBK Contracting is still an active SEBASE (certified company).
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Responding to this thread reminded me of how I kind of miss The Hamsterizer.