Duct Tape

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
seanjackins
Regular Contributor

Duct Tape

Post by seanjackins »

Hello everyone,

So at the beginning of every year I always end up buying 10 rolls of duct tape looking for that one brand that will actually stick to your fingers for the majority of the day. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Re: Duct Tape

Post by Nate »

I personally like the 3M stuff, and hate CanTech & Duck Brand.
bravo1515
Regular Contributor

Post by bravo1515 »

I too, used th 3 m stuff. I haven't taped my fingers in years though. The nitrile coated gardening gloves are my preference. More costly than duct tape, but the benefit is you don't have to duct tape your fingers.
TheHamsterizer
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

bravo1515 wrote:I too, used th 3 m stuff. I haven't taped my fingers in years though. The nitrile coated gardening gloves are my preference. More costly than duct tape, but the benefit is you don't have to duct tape your fingers.
Agreed, gloves are the way to go. 'Miracle workers' or 'Eagle Talon' are both made by watson, and a pair of either lasts me a shift or more.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Mnky
Regular Contributor

Post by Mnky »

I too am a 3m/scotch brand user...and a miracle glove user....
I find that when the glove gets a hole, I tape that section on my finger and it prolongs the usage of the glove itself, or if I get a blister anywhere on my shovel hand (like the palm) I put a piece of duct tape over the blister then a strand around my hand to hold it in place and the blister is magically gone in a short while (could also use mole skin for that, but duct tape is cheaper in the long run)
I also find that if you plant with your left hand, you can turn your right handed glove inside out and use that one to plant as well (saves some money)
debris
Regular Contributor

Post by debris »

short nails! bare hand!

also duct tape really only sticks to itself, so wrap your fingers and then wrap around your hand to your wrist. sling style.

if you must.
debris
Regular Contributor

Post by debris »

MOOSE KNUCKLES YEAH!
debris
Regular Contributor

Post by debris »

debris wrote:short nails! bare hand!

also duct tape really only sticks to itself, so wrap your fingers and then wrap around your hand to your wrist. sling style.

if you must.
and it only sticks when it and the surface you're attaching it to is dry.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Sean, check out this page and scroll down to photo 37:

http://www.replant.ca/photos2007_wfsummer.html

Intertape is the best brand I've ever found. And they make the colored rolls, so you're less likely to have someone else using your tape and not noticing. Worth the extra $2.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
hotis49
Regular Contributor

Post by hotis49 »

careernetwork.us.com
hotis49
Regular Contributor

Post by hotis49 »

I've never experianced that problem before,intresting.
careernetwork.us.com
jimbrowski
Regular Contributor

Post by jimbrowski »

Duct Tape = amateur summer planters
Gloves = experienced planters

I never have understood why some planters wrap their fingers in duct tape or even go barehanded. You should be protecting your skin, and health in general, by wearing gloves. Prefereably with a thin rubber "surgical" type glove underneath the "main" glove. But, hey, suit yourself, it's your sperm count/period cycle you're toying with.
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by jdtesluk »

Duct tape is not made for application to human skin, you may want to look into the chemicals in the adhesives. I have been a glove wearer since I began, and also use the surgical glove underneathe, usually the blue nitrile.

If you read the MSDS and follow the PPE requirements for the pesticides and fungicides, you will see that gloves are required. From a compliance perspective, you must wear gloves. You need to pay attention to the differential instructions for handling of the diluted and concentrated form of the chemicals respectively. As planters, it is the diluted form that is relevant as you are not applying the chemicals to the trees. Benlate, for example,, breaks the ppe requirements down this way but some others do not.

If you are wearing tape, how do you wash your hands before you eat lunch? Gloves can come off. If you plant, you go probably go to the bathroom on the block, then do you touch your food with your soiled duct tape hands. Sure, you can use the sandwich bag, but ultimately you will be ingesting waste. This is simple hygiene. You also will be getting in the truck and touching common surfaces with filthy tape hands unless you take it off at the end of the day before the truck. I take an extra bottle of water to the block, and use it to wash my hands before I get in the truck.We all know that you are more likely to miss work from sickness (Gi tract nastiness and flus spread around camps and trucks) than from injury. Here's an easy way to cut down on lost days.

Making the transition to gloves takes a few days at most, this from people I know that have switched over.