Waterside Ventures Ltd.

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
replant
Site Administrator

Waterside Ventures Ltd.

Post by replant »

This thread is devoted to gossip and discussion for employees and stakeholders of Waterside Ventures Ltd.

This company is believed to work predominantly in British Columbia.
3plantor
Regular Contributor

Re: Waterside Ventures Ltd.

Post by 3plantor »

Anyone know anything about these guys?
Stiffarm
Regular Contributor

Post by Stiffarm »

Yeah I did a couple of shifts with them during downtime in 06. They mostly do work out of Burn's lake\ Lake Babine. The owner Earl was really chill and paid in full before i took off. Younger camp, not the greatest food, fair>mediocre prices but overall a pretty decent place to pick up some extra dough.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I had a very enjoyable night off with them when I worked for them once. One guy passed out drunk partly out of his tent, and woke up in the morning with a bear trying to drag him off by the pant-leg (until he woke up and screamed). I was a bit skeptical of their big yellow bus, but on that particular contract, it certainly made some sense with respect to cost/transportation efficiencies. Earl is great. I believe their season is a bit short though.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Stiffarm
Regular Contributor

Post by Stiffarm »

Scooter wrote:I believe their season is a bit short though.
Yeah I think they focus on brushing alot as well (or at least they used to).
Screefhead
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Screefhead »

edit
geetha701
Starting to Post

Post by geetha701 »

Does anyone have the Waterside email address?

Thannnk you
jules

Post by jules »

I just helped these guys finish their summer plant for Babine Forest Products. The prices were good; I didn't get any straight planting, but I got $0.18-$0.20 for fill planting and $0.16 for burn filling. It seemed like they had too many rookies who weren't making their numbers this season, but there's definitely money to be made there.

They run this contract out of a logging camp, so the drives aren't excessive, and you don't have to bring your own dishes. Fran, the cook, is a dear. It cost $10 if you slept in a tent, and $25 if you slept in a room at the camp.

The only problem is that they don't seem to pay every two weeks (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd have more confidence saying that if I'd worked for them longer.
madgab
Starting to Post

Post by madgab »

Waterside 2016 Review, from a friend currently too lazy to set up an account on this forum:

The 2016 season started May 5th, lasted until July 2nd. They did their burnpiles contracts in the first 3 shifts, rest was raw.
The company was split in a town crew (motel) and a camp crew, with each a foreman and a helper (checker and kinda foreman). I was in camp crew, the camp had everything needed, but we were only like 18-25 people, it was more cosy but don’t expect a huge party. Camp was 30 min from town so we had very little interaction with town crew.
We planted around 8 hours a day, prices were from 13-15 cents and the blocs were pretty good. The shitty pieces sometimes received 16 cents. The price had little to do with the difficulty but more with the biding: we had pretty bad stuff for 13 cents and some sand shows at 14 cents. I did around 300$/day average and the company average would have been around 240$.
Even if days were an average of 11 hours portal to portal, the pay sheet says 10h/day. We have to fill our pay sheets ourselves which was weird. Camp takedown was unpaid and not helping resulted in a worse (as in long walk in for a greener piece) piece for the next 2 shifts. Also, they pay us at the end of the contract with a mailed check which I know is illegal but nobody seemed to complain about so I went with it. We could however ask for advances every 2 shifts. I didn’t ask for any and received my full pay, it was like 20$ under my maths, but it might have been my mistake on my side.
Due to drivers drinking in the vehicles we weren’t allowed to take company trucks to go to town on night off and day off, thankfully a lot of planters had their own trucks, but it still sucks cause town was far and gas ain’t cheap.
Their vehicles were old and dusty but they worked. Only had a problem once.
Food was good, with vegan options, except on days off, where you eat BLT for breakfast or BLT without bacon ... Food in general was not exceptional but it was good and with no limitations.
Shifts were 4-1, but we had some weird 2 days shifts and one short day due to cold weather, which was a good call considering half the crew was freezing at their cache.
It happened only once to not have trees and everyone had to move around from cache to cache to find who had any left, which was so so. I always had a piece to plant in and never waited for it.
Specs were honestly very low, rarely has anyone replanted, and we weren’t top notch. We planted 8 and 9 for density which was nice. We had to beg for flag though, as they usually gave us 1 roll per 800 trees. At first it was a struggle but by the end I figured to see the small pieces of flag.
All in all, money was very good, people were nice (as expected in planting I guess), but a couple of weird things can make them seem a bit sketchy.
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

geetha701 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 pm Does anyone have the Waterside email address?

Thannnk you
they mostly work bthrough their facebbok page being that they still dont have a website.
CRITICAL THINKING WITHOUT HOPE IS CYNICAL, AND HOPE WITHOUT CRITICAL THINKING IS NAÏVE
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

I would say this is the best Companie for rookies out there.

Agree though, food was good but not exceptional, trucks work well but are older, because they dont rent they own them.
Pricing depends on contract more than the ground. But overall they have higher minimum prices comparing to the big companies, Dynamic, Celtic, Folklore, BlueCollar etc. So overall one of the best choices as a first year planter.

A extra bonus is that the owners are super cool down to earth people, the Camp supervisor and currently one of the owners Shamus, son of the original owner Earl, although not one of the most people person, is a super super cool guy. A really grounded person. So in general management is really good people.
CRITICAL THINKING WITHOUT HOPE IS CYNICAL, AND HOPE WITHOUT CRITICAL THINKING IS NAÏVE
_I3^RELATIVISM

Post by _I3^RELATIVISM »

update they seam to have a website in the works now. Should be online sown.