If you could ask one question

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Captain Slashpile
Replant Forums Highballer

If you could ask one question

Post by Captain Slashpile »

With an all candidates meeting coming up in williams lake, Im trying to formulate a question to put forward to the 3 candidates that relates to our industries' needs. With a ton of people on this board having a deep insight into the state of silviculture today, I would appreciate your input. I myself was thinking of something relating to the drops in seedling numbers currently happening. But I need inspiration. Help! :P
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
jdtesluk

Re: If you could ask one question

Post by jdtesluk »

You might want to ask them about potential changes to the general silviculture framework.

Currently forestry companies are given automatic tax breaks based on silviculture costs. They receive these tax breaks immediately, regardless of whether or not the work gets done, and regardless of their results.

A different approach would be basing their silivculture tax break on the success of their plantations, resulting in the a system of reward for investment in the future forestry infrastructure. The current model only rewards the first 7 years or so, and not only encourages the cheapest and crappiest silviculture practices possible, but encourages forestry companies to grind silviculture contractors down so they can pocket as big of a chunk of the tax deduction as possible.

We should have silviculture policies that help protect the future of the province and its forests, not just policies designed to provide the biggest break possible to the major forestry companies. They will get their reward if there is a healthy and productive forest for them to harvest as time goes on, instead of leaving us with a bunch of weedy crappy trees.

Or, you could go down the road of asking them on their position on utilizing the carbon credit system to encourage silivculture practices that optimize the caliper and carbon capture of timber stands. This would include high quality planting, pruning, spacing, etc that help stimulate larger trunk growth, better timber mass, and higher wood values.

Just a few tid bits.
Captain Slashpile

Thanks jordan!
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Long term plans with regards to carbon and tax credits are both issues that never seem to relate back to planting seedlings enough in the media so asking the questions whether their parties have any plans with regards to planting more trees for carbon or tax credits would be the best approach. ANy candidate can be blessed with speech skills or crowd control but what is their parties plan is the important answer. Specify party plan and not candidate thoughts or opinion in the question.
jdtesluk wrote:Or, you could go down the road of asking them on their position on utilizing the carbon credit system to encourage silivculture practices that optimize the caliper and carbon capture of timber stands. This would include high quality planting, pruning, spacing, etc that help stimulate larger trunk growth, better timber mass, and higher wood values.
Part of Pat Bell's plan that I've read about and seen involves fertilizing used to help trees grow faster. Don't have to say anything about that as its already another thread, but part of the inevitable result from lower densities and natural regeneration seen in the last few years is herbicide application which is a cost effective way to achieve free to grow status but not good for the environment. Cost effectiveness will be a part of the future gov't whether they admit it or not. This is part of the forestry practices that prevent more pruning spacing etc etc because its a much cheaper alternative. Heli-spraying especially, which is disgusting, and used on a scale that would make most of the public sick and wipes out tonnes of jobs in post planting and planting in recent years. Less widescale use of pesticide would create tonnes of more brushing, pruning etc. work in the next few years and beyond plus effectively removing some of the more disgusting practices and by banning such practices in a new modern environmental world would encourage planting or other work as a better means to an end.

Also, silviculture contractors or other small forestry companies are small business and the best response to small business will probably get the best response from the crowd that may be attending.
jdtesluk wrote: different approach would be basing their silivculture tax break on the success of their plantations, resulting in the a system of reward for investment in the future forestry infrastructure.
If you want to make some people squirm maybe note that there are Europeans already buying land in BC (farmland) and are planting trees for carbon credits. Not to sure on the extant but it has been going on for at least 3 years. Maybe if somebody knows more or you can find any info. on it then you could give them some numbers. Does any party have such a plan to offset the costs of reforesting the province. Good thing to know since everything will be tight fisted no matter how much they promise during the campaign.

When is the meeting? Maybe I can find out more about the europeans, the british i think. I only know from a contract I planted on a few years back and a couple people involved in the projects in the last few years.
You should put your questions and responses on here slashpile, I would enjoy reading them. maybe help me decide.
Captain Slashpile

The meeting is monday at 6 at Gibraltar Room in Williams lake. We'll have Charlie Wyse (ndp), Donna Barnett (lib) and ELLI TAYLOR (green). Doug Gook (green, cariboo north) may be on hand as well. Again thanks for your input. Im trying to take all this great stuff and actually formulate a concise question. Peace!
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!