Mountain Reforestation

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
replant
Site Administrator

Mountain Reforestation

Post by replant »

This company is no longer in existence.
me-ehyu-mi
Starting to Post

Mountain Reforestation

Post by me-ehyu-mi »

I was hired in January to work with Kevin in Lillooet. As a 9th year planter with a dog I am very aware that an owner needs to be notified when I am being hired that a I have a dog. Kevin(owner) was happy to hire me and assured me a job and accommodation full well knowing about my dog. Not only was it clear at the point of hiring but numerous times I reminded him via telephone and email correspondence that I was bringing my dog. Literally the day before I was to meet in Lillooet I was told that there was no longer accommodation for me and the dog. The only option I was given was to not bring it or to pay for my own hotel. He made it clear that I was being very unreasonable to expect anything more. So now I am out of a job and it is May 10th, not the end of the world but not what I had envisioned.

I know some may think that dogs have no place in planting and that is fair enough but that is also the reason why I planned my season well in advance to secure a job at a company that was pet friend.ly. I have worked at Mountain before and for the most part I thought it was a good contract but this unfair treatment cannot go without a complaint.

Parts of this post have been removed by the Administrator, by request.
mwainwright
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Mountain Reforestation

Post by mwainwright »

but we are a disposable resource
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I'm very sad to report that Kevin McLaurin, the owner of Mountain Reforestation and a great guy who I've talked with on a number of occasions, has just passed away.
KEVIN D. MCLAURIN
McLAURIN - Kevin D. April 26, 1955 - April 21, 2009 It is with great sadness we announce the sudden passing of Kevin McLaurin, 53, of Mission BC. Kevin was a dynamic man who has lived life fully. He ran a successful tree planting company (Mountain Reforestation) for over 30 years and had a deep love for the forest and for nature. He was extremely well travelled and could hold a lively conversation on any subject. Kevin was predeceased by his mother Ruth. He will be dearly missed by his partner, Genita Leahy, his parents Douglas and Peggy, his sisters Kathryn Barnett (Joe), Karyn Shuley (Paul), Michelle Lesser (Warren), Kathleen Goucher (Adam) and his loving nieces Tara Logue (Mike), Melanie Barnett and Mariela Shuley, as well as his many cousins, close friends and associates. The family would like to extend their sincerest thanks to Alain Levesque for his determined efforts to save Kevin's life. A Celebration of Life will be held on Saturday, May 2nd at 2 pm at Maple Ridge Funeral Chapel, 11969 - 216th Street Maple Ridge, B.C. 604-463-8121. In lieu of flowers a memorial tribute can be made in Kevin's name to the B.C. Heart and Stroke Foundation at http://www.heartandstroke.bc.ca . Condolences may be sent to http://www.mapleridgefuneral.ca .
My condolences and best wishes to his family and friends ...
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I was really saddened to hear about Kevin's passing. Kevin was a guy who held nothing back, and told other people in the industry exactly how he saw it. As such, it was always a pleasure to talk with him about forestry because he was candid and pointed. Kevin also was a contributor. He supported development of programs in the silviculture industry even when the return to himself was limited. This may escape a lot of planters, but the ability of the silviculture industry to support half-decent jobs for the thousands that fill the sector has depended heavily upon the actions and foresight of a group of company owners that have wrestled with government and the forestry companies to maintain a reasonable level of silvicultural activity. Keeping this process going has demanded not only time, but a lot of money. Kevin paid his dues in both these regards, big time. He should be recognized as one of the key builders of the silviculture industry, given his long history 30+ years in the industry. This only speaks to the "silviculture" side of Kevin, and I am sad for those that knew his personal side better than I did.
barnbill

Post by barnbill »

.......condolences to the family and all who worked over the years for Mountain and who feel the loss.
I never worked for the man but by meeting those who have worked for him(mid 80's to mid 90's) I heard a lot of positives about Mountain
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I never met the man but I was just meeting with an old planting friend today for the first time in 5 years and heard about what a great time they had working for Mountain. First time I heard of the company was just before I read this.
Sounds like the industry has lost a very good person, my condolences.
barnbill

Post by barnbill »

this isn't meant to be morbid but i wonder what happens to Mountains interior contracts now.....anyone who works for Mountain would know
anyone?
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

I had the same thoughts about the work situation. My husband supervised for Kevin for the better part of the decade. We were un able to attend the funeral. Sorry to here about Kevin
roughing it in the rough
mcD

Post by mcD »

I believe timberline picked up the work
insylum
Starting to Post

Post by insylum »

Very sorry to hear of Kevin's passing. I worked for him a few years ago. I came from NS to Abbotsford and he met me at the station, even made me breakfast and coffee at his place before heading to the ferry. I have not worked for a better company and offer my condolences to his friends and family.
ohbuddy
Starting to Post

Post by ohbuddy »

I planted for Mountain the last 2 years and it is probably the best company I will ever plant for. I was extremely lucky to work for them. Sorry to hear about Kevins passing. I hope someone within the company keeps Mountain running.
cwmntgm13
Regular Contributor

Post by cwmntgm13 »

Anyone have any info of operations for the 2010 season?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Cody, I think that Mountain has wound down their operations entirely, and won't be planting this year.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Coaster

Post by Coaster »

Kevin's wife had all of Mountain's equipment up for sale this summer. I haven't heard of them bidding anywhere.
cwmntgm13
Regular Contributor

Post by cwmntgm13 »

Makes sense. Have heard a lot of positives about their set up. Thought I'd get a definite answer
dogfucker#36
Starting to Post

Post by dogfucker#36 »

kevin was a good guy to work for. he gave me my first coastal job with no previous coastal experience. on that job the mill bankrupted and the company didn't get paid. kevin still paid all the planters in full.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I hope everyone takes note of what you just posted.
Kevin got totally hung out to dry on that contract, yet he paid his planters in full.
I think that speaks volumes about him.
Respect.
barnbill

Post by barnbill »

a short note 2 add to jdtesluk's post......kevin will be missed.........