allstars

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
mcD
Replant Forums Highballer

allstars

Post by mcD »

who are these "allstars"? met someone from thier company at a viewing the other day. they were disgustingly low on the Vernon/shushwap job as well, $20,000 left on the table? ouch.
Gual
Regular Contributor

Re: allstars

Post by Gual »

I heard they only had one 10-12 person crew. I known 3 or 4 people that worked for them and they had good things to say about them. I heard that they had a good contract up near Barriere. But that's all I know.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

i also heard they were good. kind of an embarrassing name though.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Change two letters and they become barstars.

And That is a company that I would want to work for.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
tugutil
Starting to Post

Post by tugutil »

To clarify the sporting lexicon (nudge: mwainwright), Allstars (hyphen not withstanding) typically references the cream of that league’s crop.
Scooter - I like your style.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

i wouldnt care if you were called puppies and unicorns contracting, so long as you run a good show. i had an acquaintance go work for these guys last summer, she seemed quite happy with the experience.
orintmutch
Starting to Post

Post by orintmutch »

Had a friend that worked for this company. Owner is clueless. Old trucks that break down. More people than seatbelts at times (so unsafe). Tree prices may look fair, but lots of big trees at times with nothing extra. YOU HAVE TO BUY YOUR OWN RIBBON. Come on. Had rookies on his crew, but they all quit by the end of the season. All in all a total shit show with a clueless owner. Pays downtime at min wage, but most down time due to broken trucks or no trees. Oh yah, owner originally had good friends working for him; none will work for him again. If you can't even keep your friends happy, your in trouble and something is wrong.
Last edited by orintmutch on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
tugutil
Starting to Post

Post by tugutil »

Ha Ha - I knew this was coming from a particular disgruntled former employee (who wasn't offered a spot with us this year and obviously feels a slight against their noble character). As stated in our Job Postings ad, planter references can be provided for any other crew member who will back up the quality of our show and the 'ahem', 'character' of this person. Yup, we run some old trucks that broke down sometimes (down time was paid at $15/hr, as per company policy). The other claims are just laughable.

Chris
Owner, All-Stars Silviculture
Last edited by tugutil on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
orintmutch
Starting to Post

Post by orintmutch »

I would like to know who you think this is from. Friend worked for you two season past. You can PM me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

puppies and unicorns contracting
Would work there.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
donkeyrider

Post by donkeyrider »

When I was in the flux of changing companies last season. I looked on replant and All-Stars had a job posting at the beginning of June. I called Chris and was to asked to come down to Kelowna area right away. However, when I asked if they paid on time every two weeks Chris told me that they don't have the ability to do that all the time because he is a small outfit, so he pays out the bulk of the season at the end with advances throughout the season. So unless something has changed this season I would call shenanigans on the paid in full biweekly.
Best way to kill flies: "throw your shovel at them"
sisi
Starting to Post

Post by sisi »

hmm im a ten year vet that has seen it all and can go wherever i chose. i way prefer to work for smaller companies like allstars. i had a great time with them last year. no politricks just friends bidding for trees and friends planting them. you got drama you deal directly with the boss whos there helping you evryday. dont like it go bid for your own trees! jeezuz one love people
tugutil
Starting to Post

Post by tugutil »

Donkeyrider, you are correct about the past, but for 2012 and future we can (finally!) pay in full, biweekly.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

from what ive heard of these guys, i know that if i needed a job i would call them long before i would call the bulk of the other companies out there. ill take the ups and downs of a small company dynamic over the alternative anyday. probably wouldnt buy any ribbon off them though.
bryanwright
Starting to Post

Post by bryanwright »

can't wait to start killin' blocks with allstars this year. Great company! to clarify:only have to pay half the cost of a roll of ribbon. And I'll take a ride in an older truck with a great driver, than a new truck with a not so great "bush driver" any day!
FCC
Regular Contributor

Post by FCC »

i've been doing year round forestry in bc for nineteen years. last year was my fifteenth season tree planting. i've never been fired and never quit any contract. 2011 was the first and only time i worked at allstars. i happily won't go back and would not endorse them. nothing personal, just business. thats it. thats all.
mcD

Post by mcD »

seamed like the crew bought a lot of flagging, except for the times they planted over into my blocks! funnny that.
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

I know people that have well over ten years experience, working for the BEST try these guys out last year. Needless to say, they won't be going back. Nuff said.
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

Buying flagging should raise flags!! C'mon. Maybe we can get a response as to the rational or justification for that business action?
tugutil
Starting to Post

Post by tugutil »

Tnalp, if you believe everything you hear from second hand sources, you will certainly be a seeker of rational. Flagging cost is a 50/50 split with planter/company and is distributed in bulk, thus helping to minimize the usual flagging/hoarding/wasting gongshow.
Hey orintmunch, why did you edit out the accusation of All-Stars turning a blind eye to stashers from your original post?
tugutil
Starting to Post

Post by tugutil »

As a company owner, it is not my place to get involved in these forums. However, the falseness of some of orintmuch's original post drew me in. I will conclude my activity here by responding in point to those allegations, leaving the rest to the healthy dialogue of treeplanting:

- more people than seatbelts: rare occasion when a truck breaks down and there is a short shuttle on dirt road to block
- all rookies (2) quit by end of season: 1 quit, the other left with 1 week remaining because of an illness in the family. This rookie will be returning to All-Stars in 2012
- Pays downtime at minimum wage: Downtime paid at $15/hr
- All-Stars turns blind eye to stashers (this allegation was subsequently edited out by orintmuch): I won't even waste comment on this
- originally had good friends working who won't work again: I count many of my employees as good friends, new and old

Have a great season everyone!
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

Thanks for your reply. I believe that these forums are open to a wide range of users! Planters, supervisors. foremen, foresters, contractors, etc etc.. I actually applaud the fact that you are participating. I myself would not charge for flagging but that is not really a big deal in my mind. The fact that you come across as open minded and willing to talk shows me that that quality is probably brought forward in you business environment. Good luck!
salbrecher

Post by salbrecher »

tugutil wrote:As a company owner, it is not my place to get involved in these forums.
I would think this would be the best place to get involved. Seeing an owner defend his companies practices and rationals, especially when criticized by more than a few people is good for business. Often, all planters have to go on is word of mouth from other planters on this forum. If I were a forester reading this forum and read potentially libelous statements about illegal and unsafe practices (not paying on time, driving safety,stashing) and saw no response from the company or people who worked for the company, it would definitely bias my opinion of said company.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Tnalp wrote:Thanks for your reply. The fact that you come across as open minded and willing to talk shows me that that quality is probably brought forward in you business environment. Good luck!
This
kennyg
Starting to Post

Post by kennyg »

Planted for All-stars for 3 shifts in 2011 (pre-arranged departure, not a quit). Definitely superior to most of the rookie mills out there, owner involved and fairly organized, nice people on the crew. High Manager/planter ratio made me wonder about the quality/experience of some of the foremen. Some of the criticisms in the postings ring true (old trucks, some disorganization and last minute plan changes, some big trees and tough blocks not balanced as much as they could be), but overall All-Stars is a respectable place to work, and would have seemed like heaven compared to some of the shit shows I was stuck in in the north in my early years. Prices ran from 16-22, best planters were generally making 400+, Chris is a nice guy...if you are looking at working for Coast Range out of Merritt, you should be so lucky to be an all-star.
FCC
Regular Contributor

Post by FCC »

worked for this company in 2011. it was like banging my head against the wall. i've now worked for three other contractors since then. at every other company i've been able to make well over $100/day more.
p.s. sorry bryan, you're cool, but allstars sucks.
Brit
Starting to Post

Post by Brit »

I worked for this company for the entire 2012 season. It was great. Both my partner and I made 400+ most days. We have combined planting experience of 15 years. My partner is planting with them again, and I would too had I not taken a job outside of tree planting this year. Chris, the owner, cares about his planters and is actually out on the block everyday. I didn't have any experience with trucks breaking down, and days were as consistent as they get in tree-planting. I think its unfortunate that this company has taken any slack because it is a gem, and virtually unknown to many people in the industry. I know Chris will be branching out into more silviculture work as well. I always felt respected as a planter working here. I worked hard and had a great season.
PatrickB
Starting to Post

Post by PatrickB »

Planted for allstars in 2013.
Would plant for again. A composition of the most excellent people made up the crew. Paid on time, every time. Tree prices usually felt OK.
phunkytymes
Starting to Post

Post by phunkytymes »

Planted for these guys in 2013. I have been planting for over a dozen years and in that time have planted with several different companies, I found no problems with AllStars and enjoyed my planting there. Prices were fair and I lost count of the amount of times I was planting along in my piece only to look up and see the owner walking my piece with the news that the price would be increased. I haven't seen an owner/supervisor this active since I started planting.