Rules of Planting "Picking Contests"

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Rules of Planting "Picking Contests"

Post by Scooter »

This thread is devoted to explanations of random stupid games that we have in the planting world, in order to "fairly" pick the outcome of stuff, like "who plants the swamp?"

Topics covered shall include:

- Jordan's rock game.
- Odds & Evens.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Take it away, boys and girls ...
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Rules of Planting "Picking Contests"

Post by jdtesluk »

Birdies. Everyone picks up two rocks. Then you put one hand in the circle, one hand under the table. You have two, one, or zero rocks in your hand that is in the circle. Then everyone places a guess about the total number of rocks in the circle of hands that are not yet open (no two guesses can be the same). Everyone opens their table hand, and you count them up the rocks, and the correct answer is out. You keep repeating the process until there is only one person left, and they do the dishes for the rest of the participants. Yeah, it's better odds and probably faster just to do your own dishes and skip the game, but we had some good times playing birdies in the mess tent.

Also, cowboy-ninja-grizzly bear. Grizzly= two hands up in the air like bear claws, cowboy = drawing the gun like a shoot-out, ninja= martial arts stance. Faceoff is back to back, steps out (counted out loud) then turn and make your choice.
Ninja beats cowboy
Cowboy shoots grizzly bear
Grizzly bear eats ninja
There are some logistical questions that shed doubts on who would beat who in real life, but its just a stoopid game. Really just a modified rock-paper-scissors with a walk-off turnaround instead of 3 shakes of the hand.
Nate
Forum Moderator

Post by Nate »

"Plant absurdly bad trees in incoherent patterns off of an irregularly shaped line that cuts into the middle of nowhere."

I hear it's all the craze with the rookies these days.
newforest

Post by newforest »

we all plant the swamp together and get paid a sweet rate because you can't plant very many trees in the swamp even though the contract pays the same for each acre, 100% plantable or not. but that's for another thread.

without watching the clip, what are the Lizard and Spock rules? Great show but I'm sick of video right now, way too many hotel rooms in this cold winter.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

From Wikipedia, the official source for online sports:

Scissors cut paper
Paper covers rock
Rock crushes lizard
Lizard poisons Spock
Spock smashes scissors
Scissors decapitate lizard
Lizard eats paper
Paper disproves Spock
Spock vaporizes rock
Rock crushes scissors

Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Potter
Starting to Post

Post by Potter »

This is just a general game played all season long :)

"Mine"

If you use the term "mine" you then have to do push ups (10) where-ever when-ever it happens,

Example:

Vet says, "Who's water bottle is that?"

Rookie says, "Mine" - thus ten push ups.

It sounds lamer, when I write it out - but the games goes on for the whole season. It is entertaining coming up with ways to get your fellow treeplanter to say "mine". I have seen push ups done in bars, mini malls, mud puddles, sides of highways etc.

Happy Planting :)
eisan
Regular Contributor

Post by eisan »

Potter wrote:This is just a general game played all season long :)

"Mine"

If you use the term "mine" you then have to do push ups (10) where-ever when-ever it happens,

This game has changed my life. I started playing years ago when I planted with Windfirm. Serious I can't use that word anymore, even if I'm hanging out with my grandma I feel wrong using it and not doing push ups.

My favorite game planting is rocks, pick a target and throw rocks, first one to hit the target wins and chooses the next target. Yup... it's amusing. I also enjoy team builting activities like rolling large rocks down hills, the steeper the better.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Spock.jpg
Spock.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 8293 times
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

With brushing we have work strips. Not much of a game, you just take the next free strip. No skipping over to the cream. ;D
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry
krahn

Post by krahn »

nobody else here plays Bear Ninja Cowboy?

we made the rookies do it at seneca if the foreman had planted an extra box of trees, to see who got to claim it. bear eats ninja, ninja beats cowboy, cowboy shoots bear.

but the best part was that it came with actions. you face back-to-back, count to three, jump and spin around, posed as a bear ninja or cowboy. toooo much fun.
doogiski
Starting to Post

Post by doogiski »

Rock-Boot

Very simple in concept where a planter takes off a boot and you set it down on the ground. There is no limit to the amount of planters that can play. You set a line where the participants can throw behind, you collect rocks and you start trying to get them into the boot. Usually the first to "X" number of rocks into the boot wins.

Usually played on the side of roads while waiting for rides or on general shit-show days. If the general population is pissed off, the game of Rock-Boot can easily change to Rock-Tail Pipe where you try to get rocks into the exhaust pipe of a work truck. Usually, people end up just whipping rocks at the trucks and chip paint off them to vent anger and any number of reasons.
krahn

Post by krahn »

darren at northern started a game a few helped develop, it was awesome. some combination of football, golf and shovel tossing. anybody here remember the name, or the rules? lucas?