Is it a good Idea for a Rookie to start this year?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
mechvince
Starting to Post

Is it a good Idea for a Rookie to start this year?

Post by mechvince »

Well, I am interested in planting trees to make money to finance a trip to Europe next year (I'm thinkin I might need 4000$ to start with). But after reading the info on this site (economy, lower amount of rookies hired, etc.), I got to wondering if this year is probably not the best to start in the reforestation industry. I mean, I would have a good amount of expenses (tools, clothes, some camping stuff, food, etc.) which make me wonder if I would really make the money I want to make. Keep in mind that, I'm not a party animal, nor do I drink much, so I wouldn't waste money on booze and partying.

Any thoughts?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Is it a good Idea for a Rookie to start this year?

Post by Scooter »

Simple answer: If you plan to do it for a couple seasons, ANY year is a good year to start, no matter how bad the industry is.

If you're thinking this is a one-time experience, then no, definitely not worth it.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Gingerplanter
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Gingerplanter »

mechvince wrote:Well, I am interested in planting trees to make money to finance a trip to Europe next year (I'm thinkin I might need 4000$ to start with). But after reading the info on this site (economy, lower amount of rookies hired, etc.), I got to wondering if this year is probably not the best to start in the reforestation industry. I mean, I would have a good amount of expenses (tools, clothes, some camping stuff, food, etc.) which make me wonder if I would really make the money I want to make. Keep in mind that, I'm not a party animal, nor do I drink much, so I wouldn't waste money on booze and partying.

Any thoughts?
Dont listen to all the bitching and moaning out there. There are not very many options to make a large amount of money in a small amount of time, unless you are willing to go to Northern Alberta and work on the rigs. Planting offers a well paying job with little to no education( I am sorry to say this but I have met some of the stupidest people tree planting.) Just put your resume out early, avoid those nightmare companies that are referenced on these boards, work extremely hard and there should be no reason why you shouldn't make the money that you need tree planting.
jayBOT
Regular Contributor

Post by jayBOT »

I'd also encourage you to get moving on finding a spot. I know a few crew bosses who have already finished there hiring and lots of others that are taking only a few rookies this year. Also, don't give up. There has been few seasons where I have not picked up some random rookie at the last minute due to someone canceling.
mechvince
Starting to Post

Post by mechvince »

Thanks for the answers far, looks like I gotta make up my mind quickly.
Scooter wrote:Simple answer: If you plan to do it for a couple seasons, ANY year is a good year to start, no matter how bad the industry is.

If you're thinking this is a one-time experience, then no, definitely not worth it.
Thing is, I might not be able to do it again next year due to traveling, but I would definitely do it again in the future if all works out well.

I know this might not be the best thread to ask but, does anybody know which company is the best when it comes to rookies?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

At this point in the season, any that will have you. Many people have probably finished hiring already.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
TheHamsterizer
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

It's not a good idea for anyone to start anything this year... I hear 2020 might be good.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong