Gear list ... DIRTY CHEAP n RAW

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
CAVANAGH
Starting to Post

Gear list ... DIRTY CHEAP n RAW

Post by CAVANAGH »

ROOKIES, please do not follow gear lists that you read on here. you will be completely wasting your money... these people WAY over pack... also keep in mind this is low budget / no budget, broker then broke type shit.

to start ill say i was a rookie last year so i only have 1 season under my belt.. but i feel this list is hella accurate.

1. Tent.. who gives a fuck which brand or how big. vestibules are sweet but not nessecary. 3 person, 5 person.. depends on how much room you like... i got mine at cdn tire for 80$. THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MATTERS is it has to come with a waterproof fly. If installed properly (which alot of people dont do) its as good as a tarp... so dont need a tarp.

2/ groundsheet. dont need. put some moss or leaves if you care. but dont need.

3/ tarp to cover tent. dont need as previously explained.
4/ a good sleeping bag. This is one of the few things thats worth putting money into. -10 is not bad... ideally -15... sleeping bags all have the same approx level of comfort, so the differentiations in bags is alll about temperature. *trick, the ground is the cold. elevate yourself 6 inches and and your warmer, if you can go higher, yur even warmer..

5/ thermarest... just get an el cheapo air matress at wallmart. DONT spend more then 25$ if you keep yur tent semi clean then theres no reason for it to at any point have a hole in it... if it does get a slow leak, figure out where (with soapy water bubble trick) then put a dab of shoe goo...good as new.

6/ duct tape. fuck the expensive stuff. get dollar store but like 3 rolls. its 3 bucks for 3 rolls instead of 8 bucks for 1 roll of 3m...

7/ bug dope...where i was last year (hinton Alberta)i used it maybe 5 times.. it was too cold at night through out the whole season for bugs to survive the night.. but get anything with 20+ DEET and you should be fine.

8/ goldbond.. suck it up, dont need.
9/ dry bag.. dont need. use a back pack. if you dont want it to get wet on the block, put it under yur cache tarp...no need to spend on something thats already there.
10/ gaiters (optional). dont need. i knew a guy who planted every single day in shorts. yes his legs were fairly hacked up but shit happens.
11/ good boots. people stress too much about boots. yes it is important to get a comfertable boot, but that does not mean it has to be expensive. i planted for 3 days in my lowtop nike air force 1's. i know someone who paid 35$ at value village for their boots that theyve had for 2 seasons. DONT get the black "kevlar" ones by kodiak.... if you dont like the selection of boots where you live (if you live on east coast or far from mountain) then buy yur boots out west when you get there...there will be way more selection. biggest thing is that they dont give you blisters!

12/ boot waterproofing agent... buy waterproof boots (viking) not a water proof agent.

13/ large tupperware container. suck it up. just do yur best ot not squish yur food in the plastic bags they give you..
14/ personal first aid kit. dont need. suck it up

15/ sunscreen. spf 15. back of neck and ears often get forgotten!
16/ toiletries .. bring what you like.. getting 2 in1 shampoo / body wash is certainly better/cheaper
17/ ibuprofen. get the onsale cheap stuff..but make sure to get a decent size bottle if yur headache prone in the summer heat.
18/ waterjug. milk jugs they give you is fine.
19/ hard hat...no comment
20/ Penatan... no comment
21/ camera... obviously up to you
22/ mp3 player. DEFINATLY need that shit. wear it on the block with 1 headphone in cuz if yur not aware of yur surroundings you could get introuble aka BEARS (get a cheapo dollar store pair, the kind that wraps around yur head is good cuz it hooks onto your ear and it wont fall off every 5 seconds like the buds do. )
23/ a few books... up to you
24/ flashlight. definatly
25/ towel. definatly
26/ plate, bowl, mug, eating utensils...this was all included at camp..mind you the cups seem to disspear very fast .
27/ a notebook and a pen. record yur trees planted everyday and at what price.. people mess up and it will be your fault if you dont catch them.
28/ cheap wristwatch. wallmart 9$, wear on planting bags
29/ pocket knife/leatherman. dont need

planting gloves.. El Cheapo garden gloves. 6 pairs was fine for me last year. yes new gloves alll the time is nice, but not nessecary. 6 pairs is 12 gloves... when all yur left handed gloves get too awfull to wear, put the right handed gloves on yur left hand.. easy enough and should last the whole season.

clothing

have 2 different planting outfits.

1/ COTTON IS FINE. suck it up
2/ sweater/hoodies. 1 is fine.. you wont plant in it, day off only
3/ Shirts. dry-fit style is ideal. but if you cant find them at value village then dont bother. cotton is fine. forget polypro. have 2 or 3 day off shirts too.
4/ Pants. dickies style. these are work pants made for working. plant in spring AND summer easily. they wont rip either. 1 pair for planting, 1 pair jeans for dayoff

6/ socks. get 12 pairs if not more. COTTON IS FINE! just make sure to always have dry socks when you get back to camp/sleep otherwise youll be not happy. also, if you have hightop boots you need hightop socks. BAMA socks are sooo not nessecary.
7/ toque
8/ rain gear. just get an el cheapo rain jacket. if it rips on snags, thats why you have ducktape. DO NOT buy rain pants. you will never wear them and if you do you will sweat more then they repell rain. so no paints!

random tips:

1/put tape over yur blisters and double up the socks.
2/EVERY pice of clothing you bring will get lost ripped or ruined some how. so dont bring anything nice or anything that you like.
3/ time yourself EVERY bag up. if you have something to compare to, or challenge against. you most likely will push yourself to beat your last time. its great motivation.
4/ learn your eating habits/metabolism as fast as possible. the less time you spend eating the more time yur spending planting. first week, i was making 3 sandwiches and had 5 cookies and 4 various fruits. i started slowly reducing my food consumption to the point where i fnished the season eating 1 pb+j samy, with 2 oranges and a banana. thats all thats needed.
5/ cut yur oranges into slices when preparing yur lunch. it SUCCHHH a waste of time to peel it while yur on the block.
6/ i know it may sound rediculous but. while yur bagging up, pack yur mouth FULL of food an chew for 30 seconds as yur putting trees into your bag. theres no need for small bites an using a hand to hold food when it should be packing trees.
7/ flag every tree if you have to. yes, pulling a peice of flag is about .5 second per tree. but when yur comming back on a line and you lose yur place cuz of unflagged trees, then you start to lose some serious time.
8/ DO PRE SEASON TRAINING. get yur cardio on point before starting the season. the other big thing is get a stress ball (or wtv theyre called) and squeeze that fucker like 5000 times a day. it will essentially eliminate any chances of injury

just remember rule #76. No excuses, Play like a champion.
eisan
Regular Contributor

Re: Gear list ... DIRTY CHEAP n RAW

Post by eisan »

Having 6 or 7 years under my belt I'll add my two cents.

Yea if you want to go bare minimum follow that kids list, but to ensure you're a happy little planter I'd follow some other list, I wuld be misserable if I brought that list. There's a kick ass planting list on replant, I also have a really detailed one that I typed up for my crew which comes with a printable check list. I'll send it to anyone who wants, just send me a PM with your email addy.

I do feel I ned to knit-pick a little since I'm already writing.

Tent - If you're only planning on planting one season then yea, go for the cheapo cdn tire special. If you're in it for the long haul, or you like camping and want something that will last more than two years go MEC, they're good quality and reasonably priced. Plus you don't have to keep your recept if you need something fixed on it. I've had my Wanderer two for almost ten years now.
Vestible important for smelly boot and sock storage.

Tarp - Geeze, they're only $15, get one. Tents get damaged from sun. Keep your tent happy, a tarp will also ensure that you don't end up with tent puddles.

Duct Tape -I use duct tape for everything so I'm probably just picky. Cheap duct tape don't stick right, the sticky is either not really sticky, or kind of runny and weird. I tape my fingers, and 3M is the best for that. It stays on in rain, if you're just looking for a quick fix I'm sure dollar store will work though.

Boots - again if you're only going to 'try it out' get what ever you want and destroy it. I was going through a pair or two a season because I refused to spend money then I broke down and bought a nice pair of solid leather boots, two seasons down and they're still going. Ankle support and solid sole key.

Water proofing -Boots don't stay water proof forever. Unless they're gum boots.

Water jug - If your shitty milk jug of water spills on my block bag be ready to get a rusty staff to the gut.
Sebastian
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Sebastian »

Agree with Eisan on most everything there, and largely disagree with Cavanagh....

The search function on the website works really well, and there's already tons of threads devoted to gear, for example:
http://www.replant.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64464
http://www.replant.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64034
http://www.replant.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64455

Personal preferences, at 9 years of planting, are splurge on the boots, tent, mattress and sleeping bag. Good rest and healthy feet are essential. ]

Good pair of hikers/mountaineering boots can last a couple of seasons or more with good care, and will keep your feet largely dry and in good shape: steel toes weren't meant to be marched around uneven ground all day.

A good MEC tent can last a long time. My tarn 3 hit six or seven seasons before anything needed replacing, and I've seen other MEC tents sit in 4 inches of water without letting in a drop.
Sleeping bag: no sense in being cold, and you'll plant better and more if you've actually slept.

Mattress: you're looking for something somewhat comfortable, and most importantly something that insulates. Getting your body off the ground won't necessarily do it since the air underneath you is cold as well. The benefit of Thermarests is that they insulate, and have great customer service.
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

ps. Especially agree with Eisan's water jug comment. Damn infuriating when people are inconsiderate enough to have their water spilling all over the truck when a $4 ocean spray jug could avoid the problem.
newforest

Post by newforest »

while I greatly admire the suck-it-up live cheap and go home with some money ethos, I don't like hearing the people who use the cheapest gear possible whine and moan when it fails. these are usually the same people who spend all their money on pot, cigarettes and alcohol as fast as they get it. buy a tarp and/or some seam sealer and your shit won't be wet all the time. it's especially shitty to be wet when you are hungover! so if you go cheap, suck it up, and shut up about it. great post Cavanagh.
steel8909

Post by steel8909 »

Buy a queen sized blow up mattress

Don't bring any books or any form of entertainment

Bring a winter jacket instead of a proper rain jacket

Pack everything you need into a tiny hockey bag, with no compartments or side pockets

Buy cheap soft leather boots

Forgot cutlery and a plate, eat with hands off a cardboard box that you can get from the cook

Don't bring comfortable walking shoes

Bring six pairs of socks and underwear

No need for gloves/tuque/scarf, winter jacket will suffice

... yeah.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Sure, cotton's fine. If you like freezing your ass off when things get wet which they inevitably do.

Really though, that's a piss poor list and quite the rip-off of the one I made a few years ago. But honestly, who am I to talk, I only have 9 years of experience as opposed to your 1.

What's the point of even buying a tent?? You can save soooooo much more money if you just buy a $10 tarp and string it up with some rope for minimal cover from the elements! Or, better yet, sleep in the back of one of your company's trucks/crummies/busses!!! We love that shit when rookies try pulling that garbage! Although it does make it much quicker and easier to drop you off at the bus depot when you're sleeping in the back seat of the truck....

Go commando and don't wear socks in your boots. You can save money on laundry that way!

Everything I needed to know about your experience and level of knowledge I got from you saying that you planted in Nike Air Force 1's.

I don't know about other people, but I would much rather follow the advice and take the knowledge given by a group of well seasoned vets (a lot of us with management experience as well) over this list.
The Rev

Post by The Rev »

CAVANAGH wrote:to start ill say i was a rookie last year so i only have 1 season under my belt.. but i feel this list is hella accurate.
...and there's another recent post where s/he mentioned working for Summit ...

I think those two lines speak volumes

RHH
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

That was the best laugh I've had in ages.

definatly
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

CAVANAGH wrote: 17/ ibuprofen. get the onsale cheap stuff..but make sure to get a decent size bottle if yur headache prone in the summer heat.

Or if you're "headache prone in the summer heat" you should probably be drinking a lot more water instead of just popping ibuprofen since that is an early sign of dehydration. Or wait, suck it up, right? WATER'S FOR PUSSIES! ;)
CampMeeting
Regular Contributor

Post by CampMeeting »

I can think of a couple of companies that would appreciate your inclination to 'suck it up'.
CAVANAGH
Starting to Post

Post by CAVANAGH »

yeah definatly SUCK IT UP. you people are all hilarious. I read AS MUCH as possible before planting. i was preparing for hell. My season was a joke. Maybe planting trees is tough, but if youve ever had a physical job before... its the same thing, just more repetative. hard work is hard work.

yes i planted over 2k everyday(box's of 90..yess 18+ bagups/day) for the week i wore my Nike's. yes it was slashy and on a hill. yes they were beatup after that.

yes i agree with saying it is very important to bring water/hydrate yourself. the milk juggs do lack strength, they can be peirced easily. but be honest, even on the hottest of hot summer days, people still bring wayyy toooo much water to the block! Are you guys telling me youve never dumped out water before walking back to the crummy? everyone brings too much, EVERYDAY. so take SOME of theirs. and if EVERYONE at yur cache is a douche fag then yeah, suck it up. if kenyan runners can train with 20+ kms of no water...then you can go a measly day without water. will it suck... of course but its time to man up soldier!

I WAYYYYYY over prepared myself... mentaly and with gear. Anyone knows how to do research and post good quality products that will make life easyer. but thats not the goal of my post. i posted a list of bare minimum. the shit you need to "get away with it" DIRTY CHEAP n RAW is what its called... i just wanted rookies to know that they do NOT need to buy into any hype or any shenanigans....oh ya SUCK IT UP
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

i just wanted rookies to know that they do NOT need to buy into any hype or any shenanigans....
Especially if they're Kenyans.</sarc>
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

CAVANAGH wrote:
yes i agree with saying it is very important to bring water/hydrate yourself. the milk juggs do lack strength, they can be peirced easily. but be honest, even on the hottest of hot summer days, people still bring wayyy toooo much water to the block! Are you guys telling me youve never dumped out water before walking back to the crummy? everyone brings too much, EVERYDAY. so take SOME of theirs. and if EVERYONE at yur cache is a douche fag then yeah, suck it up. if kenyan runners can train with 20+ kms of no water...then you can go a measly day without water. will it suck... of course but its time to man up soldier!
UP
I know if I caught you taking my water because you didn't bring enough of your own you'd be getting a shovel to the sac pretty f'n fast.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

CAVANAGH wrote:ROOKIES, please do not follow gear lists that you read on here. you will be completely wasting your money... these people WAY over pack... also keep in mind this is low budget / no budget, broker then broke type shit.

to start ill say i was a rookie last year so i only have 1 season under my belt.. but i feel this list is hella accurate.

1. Tent.. who gives a fuck which brand or how big. vestibules are sweet but not nessecary. 3 person, 5 person.. depends on how much room you like... i got mine at cdn tire for 80$. THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MATTERS is it has to come with a waterproof fly. If installed properly (which alot of people dont do) its as good as a tarp... so dont need a tarp.

2/ groundsheet. dont need. put some moss or leaves if you care. but dont need.

4/ a good sleeping bag. This is one of the few things thats worth putting money into. -10 is not bad... ideally -15... sleeping bags all have the same approx level of comfort, so the differentiations in bags is alll about temperature. *trick, the ground is the cold. elevate yourself 6 inches and and your warmer, if you can go higher, yur even warmer..

5/ thermarest... just get an el cheapo air matress at wallmart. DONT spend more then 25$ if you keep yur tent semi clean then theres no reason for it to at any point have a hole in it... if it does get a slow leak, figure out where (with soapy water bubble trick) then put a dab of shoe goo...good as new.

6/ duct tape. fuck the expensive stuff. get dollar store but like 3 rolls. its 3 bucks for 3 rolls instead of 8 bucks for 1 roll of 3m...

7/ bug dope...where i was last year (hinton Alberta)i used it maybe 5 times.. it was too cold at night through out the whole season for bugs to survive the night.. but get anything with 20+ DEET and you should be fine.

8/ goldbond.. suck it up, dont need.
9/ dry bag.. dont need. use a back pack. if you dont want it to get wet on the block, put it under yur cache tarp...no need to spend on something thats already there.
10/ gaiters (optional). dont need. i knew a guy who planted every single day in shorts. yes his legs were fairly hacked up but shit happens.
11/ good boots. people stress too much about boots. yes it is important to get a comfertable boot, but that does not mean it has to be expensive. i planted for 3 days in my lowtop nike air force 1's. i know someone who paid 35$ at value village for their boots that theyve had for 2 seasons. DONT get the black "kevlar" ones by kodiak.... if you dont like the selection of boots where you live (if you live on east coast or far from mountain) then buy yur boots out west when you get there...there will be way more selection. biggest thing is that they dont give you blisters!

12/ boot waterproofing agent... buy waterproof boots (viking) not a water proof agent.

13/ large tupperware container. suck it up. just do yur best ot not squish yur food in the plastic bags they give you..
14/ personal first aid kit. dont need. suck it up

15/ sunscreen. spf 15. back of neck and ears often get forgotten!
16/ toiletries .. bring what you like.. getting 2 in1 shampoo / body wash is certainly better/cheaper
17/ ibuprofen. get the onsale cheap stuff..but make sure to get a decent size bottle if yur headache prone in the summer heat.
18/ waterjug. milk jugs they give you is fine.
19/ hard hat...no comment
20/ Penatan... no comment
21/ camera... obviously up to you
22/ mp3 player. DEFINATLY need that shit. wear it on the block with 1 headphone in cuz if yur not aware of yur surroundings you could get introuble aka BEARS (get a cheapo dollar store pair, the kind that wraps around yur head is good cuz it hooks onto your ear and it wont fall off every 5 seconds like the buds do. )
23/ a few books... up to you
24/ flashlight. definatly
25/ towel. definatly
26/ plate, bowl, mug, eating utensils...this was all included at camp..mind you the cups seem to disspear very fast .
27/ a notebook and a pen. record yur trees planted everyday and at what price.. people mess up and it will be your fault if you dont catch them.
29/ pocket knife/leatherman. dont need

planting gloves.. El Cheapo garden gloves. 6 pairs was fine for me last year. yes new gloves alll the time is nice, but not nessecary. 6 pairs is 12 gloves... when all yur left handed gloves get too awfull to wear, put the right handed gloves on yur left hand.. easy enough and should last the whole season.

clothing

have 2 different planting outfits.

2/ sweater/hoodies. 1 is fine.. you wont plant in it, day off only
3/ Shirts. dry-fit style is ideal. but if you cant find them at value village then dont bother. cotton is fine. forget polypro. have 2 or 3 day off shirts too.
4/ Pants. dickies style. these are work pants made for working. plant in spring AND summer easily. they wont rip either. 1 pair for planting, 1 pair jeans for dayoff

6/ socks. get 12 pairs if not more. COTTON IS FINE! just make sure to always have dry socks when you get back to camp/sleep otherwise youll be not happy. also, if you have hightop boots you need hightop socks. BAMA socks are sooo not nessecary.
7/ toque
8/ rain gear. just get an el cheapo rain jacket. if it rips on snags, thats why you have ducktape. DO NOT buy rain pants. you will never wear them and if you do you will sweat more then they repell rain. so no paints!

random tips:

1/put tape over yur blisters and double up the socks.
2/EVERY pice of clothing you bring will get lost ripped or ruined some how. so dont bring anything nice or anything that you like.
3/ time yourself EVERY bag up. if you have something to compare to, or challenge against. you most likely will push yourself to beat your last time. its great motivation.
4/ learn your eating habits/metabolism as fast as possible. the less time you spend eating the more time yur spending planting. first week, i was making 3 sandwiches and had 5 cookies and 4 various fruits. i started slowly reducing my food consumption to the point where i fnished the season eating 1 pb+j samy, with 2 oranges and a banana. thats all thats needed.
5/ cut yur oranges into slices when preparing yur lunch. it SUCCHHH a waste of time to peel it while yur on the block.
6/ i know it may sound rediculous but. while yur bagging up, pack yur mouth FULL of food an chew for 30 seconds as yur putting trees into your bag. theres no need for small bites an using a hand to hold food when it should be packing trees.
7/ flag every tree if you have to. yes, pulling a peice of flag is about .5 second per tree. but when yur comming back on a line and you lose yur place cuz of unflagged trees, then you start to lose some serious time.
8/ DO PRE SEASON TRAINING. get yur cardio on point before starting the season. the other big thing is get a stress ball (or wtv theyre called) and squeeze that fucker like 5000 times a day. it will essentially eliminate any chances of injury

just remember rule #76. No excuses, Play like a champion.
Another rookie plants for 8 weeks and feels like they can offer advice about pretty much everything. Welcome friend, that's what this forum is all about!
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
jules

Post by jules »

It sounds like this kid had the luckiest season ever. I mean, the temperatures were too cold for bugs and extra water, but not so cold that he needed an extra blanket in that cheapo sleeping bag. Though it was chilly, it didn't rain and fill his $80 Coleman tent with water, soaking all of his cotton socks. The WCB auditor didn't show up and kick this kid off of the block for wearing improper footwear or for listening to music with headphones while working. Obviously, there were no dogs or preternaturally intelligent crows around to steal lunches. Lucky kid.

I've been planting for five years, and while there are ways to save money on gear, I've found that the best way to do that is just to get quality used gear wherever you can (Craigslist ads, VV, freecycle, etc.), rather than to skimp and buy new, cheap stuff. It also helps if you take care of your stuff; oiled boots leak and fall apart after a longer length of time than non-oiled boots, in my experience.

And, no, it is not a good idea to skip on the Gold Bond and wool socks. Gold Bond is a panacea, and wool socks are a godsend. If you'd been taking proper care of your feet, you probably wouldn't have had so many blisters.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I'm actually glad that Cavanagh took the time to write out that long post. Lots of good debate here, so this thread will be quite useful for rookies. Not only to see different opinions on gear, but also to illustrate that planters don't always agree on the best way of doing things.

Now, back to the Kenyans ...

Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Scooter wrote: Now, back to the Kenyans ...
They don't need water, right?
dusty
Regular Contributor

Post by dusty »

Pwned.
bush

Post by bush »

plant in the clothes you show up in. shack up with the first cute somewhat smart rookie you meet. boots bags shovel lunch. get in the fuckin truck!
Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual »

Well I thought I knew everything after one season as well so its kind of an amusing gear list.

Hell I thought gloves were for pansies for 4 seasons and I was wondering why the nails on my left hand were shredded and I was getting chronic hand pain for months after the season. I sucked it up... more fool me.

GoldBond- lifesaver- prevents blisters and saves your balls from falling off.

Leatherman- Put it on your belt and you'll use it everyday.

First Aid Kit- When you need it- you'll really miss it. I think I used it half a dozen times last season- mostly tensors on planter injuries. You dont want to pull something in the back of your land and not have first aid gear (or a knife to rip up your clothes.

Boots- wouldn't go into land without steel toes- pet peeve of mine is planters waiting until the worksite to put on their boots and then taking them right off before they get back in the truck.

Cotton- not so good- I think synthetic/ polyester workshirts for 3 bucks each from a Value Village are good bets.

But yah I do like the suck it up mentality- when it makes sense...
Guillermo
Regular Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

Gloves man... I can't understand vets who still duct tape their fingers. Gloves are so much better in every way. Get the cheap ($2.49 a pair) viking nitridex gloves and save your hands. Worth every penny.

Or you could suck it up and destroy your hands.
Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual »

Guillermo wrote:Gloves man... I can't understand vets who still duct tape their fingers. Gloves are so much better in every way. Get the cheap ($2.49 a pair) viking nitridex gloves and save your hands. Worth every penny.

Or you could suck it up and destroy your hands.
After rereading my post I see I did not make it clear: I did eventually wear gloves- its hard to believe that I went barehanded for over 200 planting days.
Although in Ontario gloves were quite uncommon in the two companies I planted for.

One more thing to add about the gear list- it kind of depends if you are an outdoors/backpacking type. Getting a maxed out tent, sleeping bag, and thermarest makes alot of sense esp. if you going to get use out of them in the offseason or after your planting career is over.

My 300 dollar tent has lasted for over 400 days of use. 75 dollar CT tents have trouble lasting 40 days and they leak after 40 minutes.
Packing a small thermarest saves tons of space and weight and is very versatile compared to a giant blow up mattress that takes up a third of your hockey bag. Treat it right and it will last a decade.

Buying nice stuff for big ticket items almost always saves you money in the long run.
Guillermo
Regular Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

Gual wrote:After rereading my post I see I did not make it clear: I did eventually wear gloves- its hard to believe that I went barehanded for over 200 planting days.
Although in Ontario gloves were quite uncommon in the two companies I planted for.
Your post above was clear, I was just agreeing with you. I've seen many planters switch to using gloves and wonder why they hadn't used them all along, and I've seen just as many refuse to use them and either barehand or ductape. Their only reasoning is that they can't feel the tree as well with gloves. And they like bleeding from the fingernails.
BadnerBC
Starting to Post

Post by BadnerBC »

#30: Brain.

Clearly, brain's are only for pussies!

If this guy can make it through a season without one so can you! So suck it up!
L'Amour
Regular Contributor

Post by L'Amour »

Good boots, good raingear, duct tape that will actually stick to something? A luxury. Water bottle? Luxury. Dry bag? Luxury.

An MP3 player? Now that's a god damn necessity!

For serious? Even Krahn wouldn't put music above footwear.
bdbrown
Regular Contributor

Post by bdbrown »

Alright Okay.

Gloves: thin nitrile gloves, cause the chemicals are really bad for you, and you still get dexerity

Tent: I haven't had a cheap tent last me more than one season. Spend the money if you have it.
- What about cots?.. stay off the ground, extra room for shit unnerneath, put a thermarest on it.
-moss or leaves.?.(you're either a sadistic madrookie, or.. well.. nvm)... treeboxes are free, and covered in wax.. this will work better at eliminating moisture from below.. (did it not rain all season? were you planting in a greenhouse?)
-A tarp for your tent: "Whats this, two feet of vestibule around my tent, for all the storage I could need.?.wooowww" -the tarp has been the only difference between my solid fortress, and my neighbours broken, soaked, and barely recognizable canadian tire tent..(same tent hiding under my tarp)
-wool will keep you warm, even when your vestibule fails and you land up sleeping outside, if you have enough of them.. its okay, they're cheap..and itchy (suck it up then eh)

Boots. as close to one peice leather as you can.. if you find this at V.V. you are automatically a winner.. congrats... Vikings are last resort, planting in the apocolypse, don't need to worry about your feet; stupid shit.. don't tell people to wear vikings.. These things cost well over $100, hard to find, and everything about them is bad.. leather hikers + gaiter = lightweight, waterproof and loong lasting... everything about this combo is golden.... Vikings $150.. waterproofing agent $5...
(if you feel like spending the money, custom fitting insoles are well worth it..)

Steel Toe Boots/Hard Hat
In my opinion, responsibility of planter health aught to lie on the planter (I know I know, far stretch from anything we'll actualy be able to achieve.. personal responsibility, hah!)

However, I must ask the people of the forum, does anybody else think it's foolish that we have to wear a hard hat in an open field, putting extra strain on our necks, obstructing our feild of vision, and making our head substantially larger (so that we may hit our helmets on more shit, so some -dip.in.avg.intl-clownshoes can say 'good thing your wearing a hard hat') ..And steel in our footwear...? If you can't keep track of where your head is or where your toes are, you shouldn't be out in the real world.. = Pet Peeve (sorry everyone, I'm bothered by the fact that my safety is jeapordized by the safety standards instated by the industry.. wtf..)

A drysac (Mec variable size w/ shoulderstraps) and tupperwear + reliable water storage (to sit on while bagging up)
-tupperwear containers for food and knicknacks is damn genius.. I don't condone smoking while treeplanting, but ---they're always dry...allwaysss--

-i know its not even fair, but i really have to nag on the ignorance of hating on people who bring extra water.. seriously dude, wtf..
taking other peoples water, fyi, is not a freedom to be taken for granted.. it's just rude
ibuprofene? .. thats my kind of preventative measure.. your treeplanting career is going to be short, and you will hurt from it for a looong time..
Planting a day without water..'mental preparedness' involves avoiding situations that are known to kill people.. clearly these words do not mean the same thing to you as to me.. people die from shit like this..

save the plastic bags: ('cause despite planting evolutionarily stagnant and vulnerable forests for future profits of forestry industry, we should still try to do what we can to be eco-friendly)
be bear/pest smart
and KEEP YOUR stuff AWAY FROM MY stuff- water, juice, food.. when we find any of this stuff that was/was not yours(don't care, don't believe you), smeared over our gear and all over the truck bed, you seriously undermine your reputation around camp.. a rusty staff totin', pissed off treeplanter who has been provoked into makin your life miserable will succeed.. s\he is experienced, and very efficient at this..

Sunscreen, soap, and shampoo will ensure that you need Bug Dope.. This is where the -suck it up- line is appropriate.. I know you people will say that sunscreen is important, but rubbing petrol-based chemicals all over yerself is the same kind of diversion from rational thought and personal responsibility that makes everything suck about everything these days.. fight the good fight, and cover up..(omgwtf, covering up keeps the sun annd the bugs off.. call the press!..)
--new rule-- your not allowed to tell people to suck it up when you use bug spray..

people everywhere, just 'cause its a hard job doesn't mean it's a place to come and prove how tough you are.. this is more than an arena for some of us, its our livelihood.. not to mention the trees, I can only imagine the trees that result from the 'suck it up' attitude in action...

-disclaimer: I hope this was as helpful as a reactionary, online, forum posting can be. Don't take it personally, there's no such thing. If you don't believe me, it's your right. (if you've got better ideas, share them.. but only if they're better)
last but not least, don't take my word for anything, I only have 3 yrs exp. and this is only indicative of my own personal preference..
Gual
Regular Contributor

Post by Gual »

bdbrown wrote:owever, I must ask the people of the forum, does anybody else think it's foolish that we have to wear a hard hat in an open field, putting extra strain on our necks, obstructing our feild of vision, and making our head substantially larger (so that we may hit our helmets on more shit, so some -dip.in.avg.intl-clownshoes can say 'good thing your wearing a hard hat') ..And steel in our footwear...? If you can't keep track of where your head is or where your toes are, you shouldn't be out in the real world.. = Pet Peeve (sorry everyone, I'm bothered by the fact that my safety is jeapordized by the safety standards instated by the industry.. wtf..)
Well its not an industy standard (in BC at least) it depends on who you are working for.

I'm not that dainty that a pound of plastic strains my neck.

The only time that a hard hat has protect me is in an open field. I misplaces a shovel swing, the shaft hit a branch while my hand was going down on the handle- the blade smoked me in the forehead. Without the hardhat I would have been bleeding profusely and could have recieved a head injury.

The only problem with the hardhats being bigger then our head come from when you get back in the truck and forget to take it off... and you hit a bump. But nobody is making you wear a hardhat in the truck.

I always carry two hardhats (a warm weather one- standard orange and a cold weather one- black wraparound brim) with me- even on contracts that require zero.
bdbrown wrote:Sunscreen, soap, and shampoo will ensure that you need Bug Dope.. This is where the -suck it up- line is appropriate.. I know you people will say that sunscreen is important, but rubbing petrol-based chemicals all over yerself is the same kind of diversion from rational thought and personal responsibility that makes everything suck about everything these days.. fight the good fight, and cover up..(omgwtf, covering up keeps the sun annd the bugs off.. call the press!..)
--new rule-- your not allowed to tell people to suck it up when you use bug spray..
I concur.
Pandion

Post by Pandion »

I always carry two hardhats (a warm weather one- standard orange and a cold weather one- black wraparound brim) with me- even on contracts that require zero.
I can't believe there is a planter out there that actually likes to wear a hardhat. That's crazy dude. They're like a convection oven for your dome as soon as the temp. rises above 25 C. Unless you tighten them to the point of giving yourself a headache they also put some added strain on your neck because you have to keep your head tilted back somewhat to keep them from falling off when you bend over those 1000 to 5000 times each day. Yeah hardhats, what a great idea for planters. If I'm working in a situation where I need to worry about things falling on my head, I would rather not be working there than wearing a hardhat that might save my life but leave me a cripple. Hardhats are just another one of the ridiculous safety measures you see in the planting world.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I've actually worn a hard hat a few times just to keep the sun off my head. I'd be curious to see the temperature difference between direct sunlight and the temperature inside a hard hat.

Mind you, I wore hard hats for a few years doing construction work and got quite accustomed to it, so they don't bother me in the slightest. Some people can get quite used to them and some even appreciate them.

However, having said that, I'm still opposed to asking planters to wear hard hats.

And incidentally, I've only ever had one planter in my camp who was injured by a falling tree. Er, wait, maybe that's a bit of food for thought right there. As ridiculous as it seems when you're in the middle of a clear-cut, accidents can happen.

But regardless, I still stand by the fact that I'm opposed to asking planters to wear hard hats. The industry needs to focus a lot more on vehicle safety.

bdbrown
Regular Contributor

Post by bdbrown »

Starting Hard Hat Safety Thread
bhappy
Regular Contributor

Post by bhappy »

I thoroughly enjoyed wearing thing wool sweaters i went to VV picked up like 3 good merino wool sweaters for 2$ a piece and wore them every day, through rain and sun - they dont reak after wearing them in the blistering sun, they actually kept me cool and in the rain - they kept me warm even if i was wet, better then being unable to breathe in rain gear.

as i do think that some people might enjoy the skimpy list. i enjoyed having a bit more comfort.
i did have a lot of gear before starting though because i am an avid camper and a kayaker.
krahn

Post by krahn »

this is more like an emergency list, if you absolutely are broke but want to go out anyway. but it would have done me in my first season probably. here's my comments...

tarps are cheap, and in fact it's good to bring an extra. the bigger you can take along, the better, although for most on a bus or plane you have to conserve space. having a big tarp and plenty of dry land around your tent is nice.

get an cheap air mattress if you think you can sleep on one. i would sooner bring extra blankets and sleep on the ground. last time though i bought a down-filled thermarest and i prefer that. if you bring your own vehicle, a big rectangle piece of thick foam.

3M/Scotch brand is great. Duck brand is shite. get good duct tape since it should last till your first pay cheque. the really bad stuff, I hardly see a use for it.

many people go without bug dope. i don't, in fact I bring an emergency bug hat with me in the bottom of my block bag, for those seasons it gets insane. but many people never use chemicals and seem to be fine. just saying if you want to go cheap as opposed to comfort.

8/ goldbond.. suck it up, dont need
that's just ignorant. some people have sensitive skin, some don't. i've never used goldbond, but had i discovered a similar product called body glide many years earlier, i would have made thousands of dollars more every season.

terrible advice. it's not the very top of your list of things to buy, but should be on there. if you MUST cheap out, at least line your backpack with a plastic bag.

either nothing bothers this guy, or he's miserable on the block most days.

i agree with this one, i never use them, and you can get them after your first paycheque if you do need em. but i assume people use them more to keep water out of their boots, than to prevent scratches.

ignore this and buy cheap gladware or something. this is bad advice.

good to get, if you're headache prone. i've never used any, and camps have a supply. at least you're not telling people to "suck it up" when it's something you have issues with.

if it was up to me, rookies wouldn't get to listen to music on the block their first season. it's a privilege you'd earn your second year. because it sucks planting next to someone who's making a big mistake and they can't hear you yell because they're at the back of their piece, and you have to walk for ten minutes over slash to correct them. or sometimes you just want to say something positive. or tell them they have five minutes left in their day. if you want to save money at the start of the season skip the ipod you'll have enough on your mind the first couple of shift to not get bored, if you are getting bored that quick, you're not trying hard enough. and you'll have new friends to talk to on the rides to and from work. but yeah, eventually you'll probably want one.

yes, good advice. a cheap watch is better than none. vets do not like waiting for you at the end of the day. it's also good for motivation, even if you just have it in your bag.

wrong. you know how much more money i made in the rain than people wearing cotton? even than people wearing less than ideal layerings of wool or polypro? a lot.

6/ socks. get 12 pairs if not more. COTTON IS FINE!
maybe it just didn't rain where this rookie planted all season? because this is just awful, awful advice.

7/ toque
2 toques

2/EVERY pice of clothing you bring will get lost ripped or ruined some how.
except your Dickies?

but yes, don't bring your nicest stuff.

3/ time yourself EVERY bag up. if you have something to compare to, or challenge against. you most likely will push yourself to beat your last time. its great motivation

this would drive some mad, but it does speed most people up.

people have wildly different eating habits out there. i know some fast planters that have at least 3 sandwiches a day. some eat nothing but candy. i start with 2 sandwiches the first shift, move to one, and then eventually to zero. just gatorade and water and some emergency snacks if i'm having an off day. and always bring something for the ride home, if it's a long ride, like trail mix. you body need to replenish itself shortly after work.

while wearing gloves.... bit the top of the peel off. then the bottom. then bite a strip from bottom to top. then rip it in half with your hands, only touching the outside of the peel, and scoop out the orange with with your teeth. it's a little messier but way faster than normal peeling. you're welcome!

7/ flag every tree if you have to. yes, ... ious time.

good advice, for the beginning at least. and for people like me, forever. but when you get good at it, flagging takes up more like .0001 seconds.

well i hope i don't come off like a dick, i just want to make sure that people starting out don't read this and think it's good advice, because much of it is not. he's either not a normal person or had special circumstances. or has forgotten his past miseries or just doesn't realize how much more enjoyable it can be. but then again i see i'm not the only one commenting...
Mike

Post by Mike »

if it was up to me, rookies wouldn't get to listen to music on the block their first season. it's a privilege you'd earn your second year. because it sucks planting next to someone who's making a big mistake and they can't hear you yell because they're at the back of their piece, and you have to walk for ten minutes over slash to correct them. or sometimes you just want to say something positive. or tell them they have five minutes left in their day. if you want to save money at the start of the season skip the ipod you'll have enough on your mind the first couple of shift to not get bored, if you are getting bored that quick, you're not trying hard enough. and you'll have new friends to talk to on the rides to and from work. but yeah, eventually you'll probably want one.
One ear in. That is the solution. Always the solution.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
krahn

Post by krahn »

As much as I may rail against first year planters listening to music during the job, I myself plug both ears and crank the volume, most of the time. So I'm not one to talk. One ear in is a decent compromise.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Good link Hammie. I've seen a few planters sporting the min-speaker system, and it seemed to be working out well for them. It certainly provides another compromise, and perhaps one that doesn't interfere with your ability to hear other things around you.