Fieldstone

A forum for discussion about various silviculture companies. No defamation please!
edfry
Starting to Post

Fieldstone

Post by edfry »

Fieldstone

Mike Clasby
Tel: 604-916-6454
Email: mike_clasby@telus.net
http://fieldstoneresources.ca/
mwainwright
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by mwainwright »

i hear that a fellow by the name of mike clasby just bought this outfit
Mike D
Starting to Post

Re: Fieldstone

Post by Mike D »

Really? It sounds Like Dennis Nardy is still running the show.
mcD

Post by mcD »

Dennis is definatlet still running the show. Mike just helped out with some trees a few times.
Ray_from_Rivers
Starting to Post

Post by Ray_from_Rivers »

Fieldstone was an AWESOME group to work with. I started with them in the 90's up until 2001-ish. Too bad I blew it, after living with the girl i was with soured my whole attitude on everything.
RPF

Post by RPF »

What a buncha goofs. Come on, what were the foremen thinking last summer when they allowed their crew to burn boxes during a hotspell, and subsequently starting a forest fire. Sure they were working on the west coast of Vancouver Island at the time, but it does get hot and dry occassionaly. Makes me wonder what other goofy things go on with that outfit.
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

well,My friends, alot of right & maybe misinformation. yes Dennis is still running the show- for this year. I also heard it will change hands at the end of the season. The guys that run this show are great. I mean what company pays a day rate & U all take turns checking each other trees. every one contributes- Its a team player kinda of company.
roughing it in the rough
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

I worked with Fieldstone for parts of 3 seasons, although many people I know are still there my shift was probably long enough ago that I can't accurately comment on the state of their current operations. However, working the dayrate system gave me a totally different perspective on planting. I think it's useful to consider the possibility that there may be more than one way of doing any particular job. I won't get into comparing porduction versus cooperative planting models, because in a sense they're totally different animals. Many of you would know that tree planting has its roots (no pun intended) in co-ops where people shared equally in all aspects of the job. There are so many things that change when you all share in each task, as a worker your attitude fundamentally shifts. In our job we shapes ourselves to become so focussed and machine-like with the soul target of more trees, when you throw a twist in there (like co-oping) you can have a lucid moment. Everything can change with a different perspective.
'
mcD

Post by mcD »

these guys were great to work for, a bit disorganized, but good money and the best standard of living in the industry hands down. as for checking, no one every checks anyone, your just supposed to take car of yourself. everyone has been around long enough to tell if your doing a good job or not, and if your screwing around everyone knows it. it will be a lot different in the near future though.
Captain Slashpile

Post by Captain Slashpile »

Fieldstone was a nice place to work when I was there a couple years back. Ive seen some uptight people go there and mellow right out. They still produce, they are just not as stressed. Works for some. Goofball shit happens all over. Its what happens when you get ALL sorts of people together, one might be a goofball. Or 2.lol
Now I'm Drivin the Bus!
dreamofcream

Re:

Post by dreamofcream »

mwainwright wrote:i hear that a fellow by the name of mike clasby just bought this outfit
Several years later I believe this is now true
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Yes, definitely true. Mike Clasby took over completely from what I understand, and Dennis Nardi is making wine in South America somewhere, recovering from 30 years of silviculture and enjoying himself I hope.
dreamofcream

Post by dreamofcream »

I also don't believe the company pays day rate like under the previous owner. From what I have heard from the staff are all very professional, the planters are definitely on the experienced side of the scale. No rookies, save perhaps a few lucky individuals who had inroads via a planter or owner. Based on the amount of public bids lately, i think it's safe to assume that they are attempting to expand...
Last edited by dreamofcream on Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trip
Regular Contributor

Post by trip »

I can confirm that Mike Clasby did buy this company from Dennis Nardy, having been told so by someone working for them a couple years back (2009 I believe). Clasby has always been a stand-up guy in my personal experience, though I have never worked for this company specifically. Clasby has supervised shows for Zanzibar and at one point was in a partnership with the infamous Bill Sinclair under the company name Pacific Forest Maintenance. The company no longer uses the day rate model (which was scaled anyway).
Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants »

This fall they were in Gold River for a few shifts, then, I believe, in and around CR and Seyward. I know some of those guys(gals too) and they were happy with the work. Thank god for them cold creeks and rivers during those first shifts eh! If you're ever dying of heat in Gold River, go find the swimming hole on the Heber, right before it joins the Gold under the Ucona Rd Bridge, it's very very frigid. And gorgeous. And in town.
ModderDubber
Starting to Post

Post by ModderDubber »

Actually, my last contract EVER was with Mike, but under MJC Holdings, the year he started his partnership with Dennis (Fall 2008). I had also worked with him previously with Invisi-Bill. I'm glad to hear that he definitely took over Fieldstone, with whom I also spent some time, total Gong Show, nice folks though... But I can vouch for Mike Clasby's professionalism and integrity anytime. Solid one end to the other. Efficient and very much planter oriented, and in doing so surrounds himself with a basin of exceptional and competent workers.

Like I said, I've been "bag-free" for all his time, but Mike would be the first person I called if I suddenly went nuts and headed back for the bush.

Hats off, buddy, hats off...
fr88
Regular Contributor

Post by fr88 »

Anybody planted last season with these guys? Opinions?
ohreillz
Starting to Post

Post by ohreillz »

I worked for them this spring and ended up quitting. The prices were decent (18-26 cents, 95 cent cones) but there were logistical problems and an unfriendly culture. After a month of work, my friend and I were left without a ride in Port Alberni and told to meet up near Harrison Lake after the Easter weekend. They messed up booking rooms because of the holiday, and so didn't have anywhere for us to stay for four days. We quit. Later I learned that both other new young guys quit later in the season. There was a real culture of superiority at Fieldstone, and no women at all. Almost every planter that I worked with was 50 years or older. I also got the impression that our "camp" was put together to handle extra work. Their "A-team", who had a month of work preceding our start, probably had a better experience and less bullshit.
creamshow
Starting to Post

Post by creamshow »

im glad someone said it. the foremen were crusty as it gets, really negative culture. there was a questionable lack of women. i know that at least 4 people on my contract quit within the first month. asides from that they were very disorganized, telling us 2 days in advance that we would have 5 days off in between contracts, have to get from port alberni to harrison hot springs ourselves, then a lot of unexpected travel and days off. there was obvious internal conflict. that said, the work was decent.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Website and updated contact info: edit into first post maybe?

Mike Clasby
Tel: 604-916-6454
Email: mike_clasby@telus.net
http://fieldstoneresources.ca/
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd