Coastal Prices

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
ButterTart
Regular Contributor

Coastal Prices

Post by ButterTart »

Hearing talk of the companies starting to take bids on the coast for the 2012 plant .Any ideas what the price may be this year??or better yet what it should be.All the talk of driving the prices up doesnt seem to be going to happen:(
Coaster
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Coastal Prices

Post by Coaster »

We haven't seen any public coast planting tenders open yet for 2012. In fact only one job has been advertised so far. The group bidding on the coast is much smaller than in the interior. Although the volume is less, I think relatively there's less competition. If you look at what happened last fall, you'll probably see the same thing happen for this coming spring. Some contractors will take early work low and those that wait will have better prices.

It's likely that the majority of private trees have been awarded already. I've heard of quite a few planters already lining up seasons. Prices appear to already be up from 2011. I'd say that if someone's offering you the same price as last year, you can do better elsewhere.

As to what prices should be, the ground is so varied on the coast that generalities mean little. The south and east coast 2nd growth has been paying 15-16 cents but should go for 17-18 or more. The rest of it should be in the twenties unless you're planting fills or heli and then the thirties is more like it. I'm expecting to see a 10-20 percent increase myself this coming season.
shawniganlaker

Post by shawniganlaker »

Prices on the south island are so far stagnant. Coaster is right about .17-18 being about average this year on south island 2nd growth(South island meaning East). There is allot of variability in "coastal" settings.
Not too many veteran crews planting trees for .15-.16 last year even. That I saw.

Anything outside that east coast band is a whole different ball game, and there are fewer players. To do a full Coast you will want to plant both types of ground. Start on the east, then go remote. There are only a few crews who can do both.
ButterTart
Regular Contributor

Post by ButterTart »

Thanks Coaster and shawniganlaker,Yes they are private trees and from what I hear there is alot of companys bidding on them and I;m told it may be around the 18 cent mark to the planter maybe a little more.Im the rookie so the vets are saying it should be min 20 to 22 cents for the planter as the prices have to be driven up.Also this is home every night with a 5 and two shift.Almost thinking of sitting this year out as I have a bad feeling here on the coast.
Coaster

Post by Coaster »

As far as prices are concerned I have a good feeling regarding the coast. What I have a bad feeling about is La Nina. That frigid weather wench is likely to bring snow and delays. If you're working from home it's not so bad but when you're hanging at the motel, it gets old fast....and expensive too. Might be just as well to wait until at least mid March to march down to the coast this coming spring.
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

la nina is right. for the the first time in years we have work right through the winter up here on haida gwaii, and its snowing earlier than it usually does. alot earlier. seems like a cruel joke.
ButterTart
Regular Contributor

Post by ButterTart »

well bid was won by coast range in central island went for 30 some odd cents im told. man oh man i new the prices wouldnt go up :(
mcD

Post by mcD »

as long as you don't work for coast range you should be fine. the bidding this year was insane.(LOW). basically anyone who works for them is accepting a season of getting fucked. not to divert the topic
ButterTart
Regular Contributor

Post by ButterTart »

No worries,I wont be working for them.Just cant understand it,vets say dont work for less but prices arent going up.So I quess lotsa rookies will be working the coast this year for less.
Coaster

Post by Coaster »

Very few rookies get to work on the coast. Coast Range may be an exception in that they may have to employ rookies to get their low bid work done. Either that or they'll bring the Ontario planters in. Coast Range was always a negative force on the coast and it's disappointing to see them back. From what I've seen prices in general have risen for 2012 coast planting. Just make sure you get on with one of the established companies like Bivouac, Fieldstone, Evergreen, Timberline, Sitka or Rainforest. Brinkman is still very much hit and miss. Osprey and Wagner are still into some pretty low prices.
rumham
Starting to Post

Post by rumham »

does anyone have any estimates of comparison bids or numbers of trees for these companies?
Timberjack
Regular Contributor

Post by Timberjack »

rumham wrote:does anyone have any estimates of comparison bids or numbers of trees for these companies?
Central island 200,000

South Island 270,000 +

CR was the lowest bidder of 6
trip
Regular Contributor

Post by trip »

So far I have heard nothing reassuring about prices on the coast this year - seems they are as low as ever and dominated by greedy, top-heavy companies. On the bright side it looks like the season will start early despite dire predictions to the contrary (it has started for some already).