Online courses while planting

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Stiffarm
Regular Contributor

Online courses while planting

Post by Stiffarm »

I was thinking about doing some Athabasca Uni courses this summer (probably just 1 or 2). I was wondering if anyone had done this before and if its doable?
madddave
Regular Contributor

Re: Online courses while planting

Post by madddave »

It is completely possible, it will just take discipline to actually find time when not planting to work on it.

I attempted to study for my MCAT's last season while planting, it didn't work. I got as far as opening the book and reading one or two pages. I found it tough as I just wanted to relax when I wasn't planting and really couldn't be bothered with the studies. Mind you I love to procrasinate.

Questions that you have to ask your self, is how determined will you be to do the course while planting. Will you give up heading into town on your days off to do the homework? Will you be able to open up a book after a day of planting instead of relaxing and socializing with fellow planters?

Just some stuff to consider. This year I am going to attempt to learn spanish by pod-cast. It should be just a tad bit different than taking a course. Fifteen minutes of listening to a dude with a scottish accent that speaks spanish and I am going to Ecuador right after planting, so I have better motivation.

The best bet maybe waiting till the planting season is over and do them in August.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I did it, with an MBA course once. Very tough, but possible. You need to be pretty disciplined. Be prepared to hit the books on the night off, rather than getting hammered. Think about that aspect before you commit yourself ...
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Richianity
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by Richianity »

Not worth it (unless there is some logical time reason)...what's the rush?
steel8909

Post by steel8909 »

You're going to have Internet on camp?!
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, some companies bring internet into the camps, through satellite dish. Although it's not really fast enough for a lot of intensive uploads and downloads - think dial-up speed. I've had to ask people not to use ICQ and MSN and bittorent applications because they tie up the system and people with regular email can't use it effectively.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
landhammerer
Regular Contributor

Post by landhammerer »

pound trees make $$$$$$$$$$$$$
The more flies you eat, the less there are to bite you
norther
Regular Contributor

Post by norther »

I think I'm going to try to take one or two courses while planting this summer. Seems like a great idea to me.
jules

Post by jules »

I tried to do this last year, and it didn't really work out for me. I was doing a mail-based course, and my materials didn't arrive until way later than I'd anticipated. My textbooks arrived at the address for my first job after I'd already started moving around and finishing contracts with other companies, and Canada Post held them hostage until the person it was addressed to picked it up. It ended up leaking into my school year, which was exactly what I didn't want.

Also, picking the right courses to study is pretty important. It can be pretty hard to convince yourself to come home and do calculus for a couple of hours, if you're not already into that.
fluffer

Post by fluffer »

I tried to do a differential equations course one Summer while planting. BAD decision.

If you have less intense courses they are much more suitable for planting. Stuff that involves more memorization and readings might be suitable. Economics, sociology, business and accounting courses seem preferable because they are simple and any theory is generally lite. The downside is that they require more formalized output. It's kind of brainless work so it's simply a matter of putting in the time. Higher level math/calculus/science courses probably require more mental energy than you'll be able/willing to muster.