Coastal Snow Report

Gossip, rumours, and random thoughts. Imagine 1000+ people sitting around a campfire: planters, foremen, owners, and foresters. Add kegs. Now imagine the chaos.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Coastal Snow Report

Post by Scooter »

Here are the rumours I've heard from around the Island in the past 24 hours. All unsubstantiated, of course:

- Evergreen has missed a couple days in Campbell River on one crew, but for the most part has been working since the start of March. They have three other crews which have also experienced slight delays, but by and large have been pretty lucky.
- Fieldstone in Courtenay also started at the beginning of March, but only got about nine days of work in so far.
- Timberline's crew on the north Island started February 19th and has only missed about half a dozen days due to snow. Their Port Alberni crew is roughly the same.
- Coast Range crew on the mid-Island has only worked six days out of the past 34.
- Sitka in Port Alberni has only worked one day in the past week.

Any other reports from Coastal crews? Or any word on snow pack around the Interior?
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
mwainwright
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Coastal Snow Report

Post by mwainwright »

we havent even started yet up here on haida gwaii. there's fresh snow almost every day.
jules

Post by jules »

People I've been talking to about early starts in the Interior are starting to bump their start dates back because of snow. I'd love to find something to fill the second half of April with, but it's starting to look like it won't really happen out here. Maybe I should try the Coast.
marj
Starting to Post

Post by marj »

Summit's coastal crew around Lake Cowichan has also been off for 9 days now. And of course, it's currently snowing.
TheHamsterizer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Scooter wrote:Here are the rumours I've heard from around the Island in the past 24 hours. All unsubstantiated, of course:

- Evergreen has missed a couple days in Campbell River on one crew, but for the most part has been working since the start of March. They have three other crews which have also experienced slight delays, but by and large have been pretty lucky.
- Fieldstone in Courtenay also started at the beginning of March, but only got about nine days of work in so far.
- Timberline's crew on the north Island started February 19th and has only missed about half a dozen days due to snow. Their Port Alberni crew is roughly the same.
- Coast Range crew on the mid-Island has only worked six days out of the past 34.
- Sitka in Port Alberni has only worked one day in the past week.

Any other reports from Coastal crews? Or any word on snow pack around the Interior?
I used to hate hearing that other companies were working when I was snowed out... I don't really see the point of knowing at all.
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Misery loves company.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Hugo Pants

Post by Hugo Pants »

Steep and deep in Nootka Sound, taken today
Attachments
DSC_0085.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG (1.33 MiB) Viewed 5614 times
Pandion

Post by Pandion »

That's really too bad that CR and Summit are snowed out, their poor planters have probably lost money so far this year. I'm actually quite surprised that Tchida has tried to weasel his way back into coastal planting after he left a decade ago with his tail between his legs. He just never seems to learn.
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

Meanwhile it was in the 70's and lower 80's all this week back in NB. :)
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry
ryguy
Regular Contributor

Post by ryguy »

So far we've been pretty lucky here on the Timberline Courtenay/Alberni contracts.......have 23 days in and missed 3 due to snow. We are right on that line though.
Timberjack
Regular Contributor

Post by Timberjack »

Seems some companies have little down time.Higher ground is not being down to snow but alot of the lower ground is.And yes scooter I also heard CR hasnt many days.I wonder how they are going to complete their obligations here on time as mother nature sure isnt helping them :)
retrovertigo

Post by retrovertigo »

Ancient prophecies foretold the Return of the Tchida One, thus the Wrath of the Snow Gods, and ultimately, the declaration: You Shall Not Plant.
Timberjack
Regular Contributor

Post by Timberjack »

^ :) wish this site had a like button like facebook...... ;)
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

Snowed out again in Port Alberni! looks like 5 - 10 cm in town!
roughing it in the rough
RPF

Post by RPF »

Just when you thought spring was here and it decides to snow again overnight.
Very strange weather this "spring"...