Flagging Tape Dispensers

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Shwub
Regular Contributor

Flagging Tape Dispensers

Post by Shwub »

Last year, I went planting for the first time, and had a feud with my bushpro bags. I'm a lefty, so I kept getting my shovel arm chafed by my flagging pouch. I eventually broke down and cut the pouch right off the bags, and went through the rest of the season with my flagging in my shorts pocket, hanging out.

Looking back, using pants pockets to dispense flagging wasn't the best idea, because I ended up getting all the pockets cut by the flagging. I've been looking around trying to see if I could find an individual bushpro pouch to buy to reattach to my bags but nothing exists. My next options are to by some sort of firefighting, homeimprovement or the likes of a flagging dispenser or try my hand with the bush pro shovel flag holder / cutter http://www.gear-up.com/cart_showproduct.php?pid=8467 . Does anyone have any experience using this, or any ideas what I could try for this season?
Sebastian
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Flagging Tape Dispensers

Post by Sebastian »

Always used cargo pockets myself. I've never found a flagging pouch that actually seemed to work. To my mind, they're highly overrated.
Shwub
Regular Contributor

Post by Shwub »

I used the cargo pants / shorts pockets. They worked great, but they all got split, because the tape would slow cut through the pockets. Maybe i could splurge on some better pants.
krahn

Post by krahn »

Ha! I got a message about this thread, as it's something I've dealt with a lot and so I guess I must now give my 2 cents.

I use lots of flagging, not every tree mind you but it's a very detailed system and it only slows me down a bit in windy conditions. Other times I believe it actually gives me a speed advantage over others, and creates better densities.

It didn't really click though until I found out about using cargo pants pockets. It's fast and smooth, from the start of the roll to the end, I haven't tried any other method that compares. One must have a pocket though as much in front of the leg as possible, left leg for a right handed planter, I wonder if that's why your pocket ripped? It was positioned too far to the side? It must be, because then the tape would constantly be slowed down by the friction at that angle.

If you don't have pants with a pocket in front, sew one on, I've done that. Not pretty, but effective. Should be wide enough so that the flagging comes out without rubbing the corners much.

Take out empty rolls when you're done, they get in the way.

I think that's all I have to say, for me this works like a charm and I've never seen any sort of wear. Actually I will mention that MEC's nomad pants were exceptional, they were pricey but very tough, good in the rain, a bit flexible so you felt more free climbing over slash, and the later models had a pocket at the perfect spot on the left leg. Not as roomy a pocket as I would have liked, but it worked. I see now on their site that these have been discontinued, but they must have something similar still.

Anyone have their own fullproof system they'd like to share with the class?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Last year, I went planting for the first time, and had a feud with my bushpro bags. I'm a lefty, so I kept getting my shovel arm chafed by my flagging pouch. I eventually broke down and cut the pouch right off the bags, and went through the rest of the season with my flagging in my shorts pocket, hanging out.
Odd. I'm a left with the bush-pro bags, and my flagging pouch works relatively well for me (except at the very start and very end of rolls). Do you use the dog-leash method with the flagging strung through the centre of your shovel hand?
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
robertsonja
Regular Contributor

Post by robertsonja »

I'm also left with 1 year old bush pro bags and i never have trouble with the flag pouch, I use the dog leash method as well
piper
Starting to Post

Post by piper »

1.25cups rubbermaid(red lid) bolted through the bottom to my bags with a hole i did on the side for the flag to get out. Its like they were made for flagging tape: it fits perfect!
piper
Starting to Post

Post by piper »

I guess i have to mentioned that the noise produced by the roll when you pull on the tape drives some crazy. I got use to it quickly, i don't hear it anymore. But, when i work with others, i get told a lot!
TasseTina
Starting to Post

Post by TasseTina »

Shwub
Regular Contributor

Post by Shwub »

The lego set up looks ingenious, just I don't have the small pouch to put the lego box into it.
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

contact bushpro. they do sell spair pouches as I used to buy them to modify. they were cheap and shipping shouldn't be much.
Shwub
Regular Contributor

Post by Shwub »

I did not know bushpro sold extra pouches. I'm gonna check their website right now.
It's probably safe to assume it may be a special order not listed on their website, any idea if there is any minimum amount to order, or could I get away with one or two?
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

Not sure on shipping or the like. I used to go into their shop in Vernon directly. But the guy was always good to deal with. If they don't show online give them a call.
Almaguin
Regular Contributor

Post by Almaguin »

Here is my solution to date.

Equipment: Shea Butter container (WalMart $5.47, contents to margarine container to be used later), 2 small fender washers, small locking nut and bolt.

Tools: Pocket knife (exacto), 2 vice gripes (or other)

Results: Successful to date, 3 weeks on the coast

Shortcomings: Yes, but you can modify to your taste...