No chances for foreigners?

Here's the best place to ask specific questions.
Jennyy
Starting to Post

No chances for foreigners?

Post by Jennyy »

Hi There!

My name is Jennifer, i'm from germany and I'm very interested in treeplanting.
Since i've read an articel in a german magazin about treeplanting I'm planning my first season in the canadian bush.
Now, i'm planning for 6 months and I'm not very far.
All I know:
-I need a visa
-There are a lot of things to buy
-My english became very bad (that i noticed in the last 4 minutes while i wrote the last sentences, which are definitly wrong)

And i need to know:
- I have no experience and i'm from germany... isn't it impossible to get a job?
- Are any companies popular for "taking" foreigners?
- Lesen das hier vielleicht zufällig ein paar deutsche, die mir liebend gerne ein paar gute tips geben möchten?
- Is there a minimum time to stay?
- Are the people of those companies "cool","nice",....I mean...can i send them an informal mail with some questions?

That's all...

Thank you.
Bye...Jenny.
LoudDevil
Regular Contributor

Re: No chances for foreigners?

Post by LoudDevil »

hi jen,

your best bet might be to look for a job in ontario (you should get on that now since its getting really close to the seasons start) so you might have a hard time getting a job for this year

you will want to stay the whole contract (not much reason to go if you dont)
ich spreche bissen deutsch, schade

but if your looking for a few good tips this website and http://www.tree-planter.com are some of the best resources out there.

good luck!
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I don't want to sound negative, but I suspect that you will have a hard time getting a Work Visa. I heard that the wait time right now is around 27 weeks.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
LoudDevil
Regular Contributor

Post by LoudDevil »

its too bad they make it so hard for people to get work in canada, meanwhile the government has a big ad campangie trying to export our workers
Papi_BG
Starting to Post

Post by Papi_BG »

Hey German girl if you have to wait so long for a visa you may wanna do some treeplanting in Sweden and next year go to Canada.
Tree planting is very popular there and believe me far more easy than Canada ,money's good too !
TheHamsterizer
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by TheHamsterizer »

Hey Jennifer,

If you marry me you could be planting by may...
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong
kingjames_2nd
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by kingjames_2nd »

TheHamsterizer wrote:Hey Jennifer,

If you marry me you could be planting by may...
LOL!
------------------------------------------

"be patient theres alwas some trees somewhere" - theoldman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:27 am
Jennyy
Starting to Post

Post by Jennyy »

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS!
I forgot to say that i wa to start in 2009..not this season!

And I see...all i can do is apply apply apply and hope hope hope.

You're very funny by the way.
:-)

It's a pity but it seems like i wouldn't have anything to involve in this conversation anymore.

Or do you have any more things to say?? Now you know that i have enough time to apply 7 visa?

If not...see you in 2009. (You will recognize me by the very german look ;-))
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I just got this email:

Hey Scooter,
I noticed that you say on your website how hard it is for non-canadians to treeplant. I´ll tell you how I did it, you might add it to the website if you want...

I applied for a one year work and travel visa through my German citizenship, giving me a open work period and a temporary SIN number.
I then applied to a bunch of companies and got a job.

Anyways, you still have to have a few things in mind as a "foreigner"
- I didn´t come out here with expectations of making tons of money, I sort of see it as a experience (although it is prudent not to mention that to prospectable employers)
I see it as part of my Canadian adventure and it wasn´t my sole reason for coming out here.
- I do have a bit of a Canadian connection, a distant uncle lives here and he provided me with a tent, sleeping bag etc.
- I was certain that I would make a good treeplanter and fortunately was right.
- I landed with a respectable crew (Lawrence´s crew at NGR) and most importantly have a long season in front of me. I do not want to imagine a foreigner coming here with high expectations and then getting screwed by Summit or something. That would be so brutal.

So basically I used this opportunity to "prove" myself, and if I ever want to come back, the company knows me and what I am capable of and will be willing to go through the labour market opinion process and that bunch of paperwork.
Because, face it, no one is going to go through that process for a rookie.

It is called International Experience Canada, and anyone from the countries that are part of that agreement (pretty much all European and first world countries) between the ages of 18 and 35 could do it.

Have a great rest of the season,
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
drummerguitar3018
Starting to Post

Post by drummerguitar3018 »

hello I'm carlos from Mexico, this is my first post.

I will apply for a treeplanter job next year. in Mexico I will take 4 weeks to get a work visa if I give all the required documents.

Talking about mail that was sent to scooter, the program International Experience Canada would not be an option for people with little purchasing power, like me. To start you need to check that you have 2500 dollars in the bank and have the plane ticket that costs around 700 dollars (from Mexico to Canada in my case), I'm not going for a walk, I go with the thought of making money. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

Greetings!