Stihl MS250

Here's a chance for all of us to discuss various issues related specifically to vehicles, mechanics, and things with motors or engines.
steel8909
Replant Forums Highballer

Stihl MS250

Post by steel8909 »

My grandfather just gave me his little old ms250 chainsaw since he's getting old and hasnt used it in years. I have experience with brushsaws but have never touched a chainsaw before. My grandfather just told me to be careful lol Any tips on how to stay safe?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Stihl MS250

Post by Scooter »

Definitely:

1. Always wear full chainsaw pants. I'd recommend staying away from chaps.
2. Wear a faceplate with your hardhat, or goggles (or both if you can stand it) to keep chips of wood out of your eyes.
3. Never cut with the tip.
4. Keep your chain sharp. The sharper the chain, the safer.

I have a rule of my own where I never allow myself to see the bar in its "thin" profile, ie. so that the bar is in a plane that would intersect my head or neck. I'm not so worried about a chain breaking, but I am definitely always aware of the possibility of kickback. If the saw kicks back because I'm tired and hit the tip somewhere that I shouldn't, I don't want the bar to be able to come up and hit my face or upper body. Kickback will happen eventually, no matter how careful you are, and you want the saw to be kicking back out into the open, past your shoulder. You don't want to take this to an extreme and be cutting with the saw held too much sideways, but careful awareness of how you cut should have it so if the saw kicks back, it just misses your shoulder. Imagine that you're holding the saw sort of in front of you at chest height. Your left hand is across your body. Imagine the saw kicking up, and both hands stay on the saw. Your left hand would sort of come up and hit your right collarbone.

Maybe one of the more experienced saw people can explain this better. I've only cut pulp for a couple winters, so I haven't had any professional training. I'm thinking about taking the Alberta Enform courses this fall.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
The Rev

Post by The Rev »

A couple more tips -

Since it hasn't been used in a few years - Get it serviced by a Stihl shop - even if you are good with small engines - trust the people who know how to service these saws to bring it back to nearly new condition.

Take a training course - You don't need to become a professional feller - A 2 day course will teach basics of maintenance and use. You'll get a day out in the bush to practice techniques while being supervised.

Never get complacent with the saw or you surroundings when you are cutting.

rhh
steel8909

Post by steel8909 »

Thanks guys,

I finally got it started last weekend, it's running fine. I attempted to start it back in July I think with no luck. It just randomly started this time. My guess is that the gas dissolved some gunk built up in the engine.

I'm definitely looking into taking a training course. Any one from Ontario know of any courses offered around the GTA that offers one? I found one at Fleming college but it's 3 days long and with my split schedule at work (sat/mondays off) it's hard to work around and hard to ask for time off :p