Staff versus Shovel

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Sowsun
Regular Contributor

Staff versus Shovel

Post by Sowsun »

Hey Folks,

I'd like to get some input with regards to people's views on the pros/cons of using a staff over a shovel. I did a forum search on using a staff and found only one thread that really discussed it, in which it wasn't the main topic of the thread, and was over 4 years old.

So, what are the pros/cons of using a staff?? My main concerns are speed, quality and physical stress on the body - with an emphasis on speed.

I realize that if I wanted to make the switch to a staff it would take some time to get used to it. That's fine. I'm more concerned with becoming the fastest planter I can be long term, preferably without destroying my wrists.

Thanks ahead of time for your input.
clay
Regular Contributor

Re: Staff versus Shovel

Post by clay »

after 10 years of using only a D, the last few years i've been transitioning to a staff. it's a shorter staff - just a little over waist-high - but i enjoy the different range of options for how i move, where i place my hand on the staff etc. if i were an ambi-planter like you (and i wish i was - maybe one day i'll master it), that would open up even more options for varying my motions and positions and postures while i plant.
i still bring my D handle with me when it's not inconvenient to pack 2 shovels, so i can revert back whenever the mood strikes, or when i really need to throw the hammer down - i still feel marginally faster with a D (although i do think i'm catching up speed-wise with the staff)...

i'd say get a staff, shorten it, and have it around as an option. you can learn how to use it and get faster with it on your own timetable. the big thing, i think, is varying your motions as much as possible, and not getting "fossilized" in the way you move through the block and your planting motion. i think that's the biggest potential for physical problems for planters. ambi-planting is probably one of the best things you can do to prevent that, so you're already off to a good start. a D handle seems to invite sticking to a very limited pattern of motion, and that's the biggest reason i'm moving away from it.

old dogs can learn new tricks. and sometimes it even pays off.
mwainwright
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by mwainwright »

shit claytron i thought that thing was one of big jo's chew toys.
Sowsun
Regular Contributor

Post by Sowsun »

Thanks for the response Clay. Some good pointers in there. I think I'll definitely be getting a staff for next season, at least to experiment.

If anybody else has anything to offer, please feel free. I'm particularly interested in hearing arguments against a staff, that aren't due to the time it takes to get used to it, but to do with the inherent differences in the tool.

Does the staff's longer length make it slower in sticky land where you need to stick your shovel in the ground 2 or 3 times before finding a good microsite? Or faster?

How about in cleaner land, without a layer of stickmat?

Would d-handles or significantly shorter staff's be preferable on hilly land?
Last edited by Sowsun on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
clay
Regular Contributor

Post by clay »

it's good for all kinds of things wainwright... definitely makes a much better bat than a D, if you're taking a little shot-rock batting practice. Toss is a little tougher.. bring a D for that.

but big jo prefers chewing on haida gwaii pygmy deer...
bdbrown
Regular Contributor

Post by bdbrown »

It's an investment.. Start planting ampi-styles with as many different shovel styles as you can. I'll always argue that staff is the best way to plant without sustaining long term injury and ultimately ending your career, but it comes down to planting smart; making sure that you're new PB didn't just cost you a season of planting down the line.

Every planter is built different and plants different, and there's always an exception to a rule, but a good guideline is 'if it hurts, change something'

faster, not harder
dkarvas
Starting to Post

Post by dkarvas »

The real question is how it handles in shovel toss
bdbrown
Regular Contributor

Post by bdbrown »

is it really the shovel that matters when it comes to shovel toss?
you can't buy skill
Chunk
Regular Contributor

Post by Chunk »

A previous topic briefly brought up the possibility that using a staff, and the resulting "box cut" motion, produces trees with hidden air pockets. Can anyone speak to this? Is it possible to c-cut with a staff, or is there a technique that reduces the likelihood or carving out air pockets beside your trees?

I've just picked up a staff for next season so any tips on planting a quality tree with a staff are appreciated.

And my guess is that D-handles are better for shovel toss. It seems like you'd have more control than with a staff!