Buying tree planting shovel online 2013 season

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
East
Replant Forums Highballer

Buying tree planting shovel online 2013 season

Post by East »

I will be starting my planting season this April and need to find a good shovel that suits me ASAP.

Here is one that is apparently 'easy to modify'. .

Does anyone know how you exactly go about modifying them? would I have to cut it with a saw or does it come apart easily or something...?

If I were to purchase this I would reduce it down to its minimum length. 25.5cm.

Hiballer Stainless Steel (PC290)
This is Bushpro's most popular shovel and for good reason, not just for it's good looks. Made from 3mm thick steel, heat treated to Rockwell C 38-45. This shovel can be left as is or can be easily modified to meet any tree planter's needs without compromising strength. Features include:

LENGTH IS EASY TO ADJUST and can be reduced to as short as 25.5".
Pointed tip making penetration easier.
Kickplates are located strictly on the planter side to make planting easier.
Optimal amount of crank and offset . This allows the handle to stay closer to the body making the shovel easier to use and safer.
The best warranty in the business. Warrantied against any defects for the life of the shovel (excludes wear).

Specifications:

Blade weight - 1.89 lbs
Blade length 9" x 4 1/2" wide
Shovel length from tip to top of handle - 37.5"
Minimum possible shovel length - 25.5"

Available in either stainless steel or carbon steel and can be interchanged with any of Bushpro's handles.

Stainless steel pictured.

This content is copyrighted (http://www.bushpro.ca/index.php?page_id=1002)
chrisdunn

Re: Buying tree planting shovel online 2013 season

Post by chrisdunn »

I've used that one, and didn't like it at all. You use a grinder to chop them down, like any other one. reason I didn't like it was it had a triangular ridge on the inside curve, and the ergonomics of it didn't agree with me. They seem heavy. Would be a good backup shovel for rocks.

I use another brand stainless shovel, the one that has 3 options: 2 kickers, or a kicker on the left, or the kicker on the right side. I like it a lot. I use the shovel with the one kicker on the right. I didn't bother modifying the blade, it's great for me as is. I did cut down the handle though.

Mine is a workwizer, I bought it at Surplus Herbies in Kamloops.
Last edited by chrisdunn on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

if you're open to buying online, and know your specifics, you may want to check out http://www.workwizer.ca
you should have enough time for shipping if you order soon.

they've got quite a bit of options size wize (blade, shaft and even handle) you can mix and match parts to make your own shovel specs, less customizing yourself means less chance of a fuckup if you don't know how to do it.

he'll ship assembled or separate if you specify.

you're looking at around 70-80$ a shovel then shipping, but it's well worth it to get exactly what you want. as always, shipping's better if you combine some orders...
ordered three sets of separates last year, we're all happy.
East

Post by East »

ohsnap wrote:if you're open to buying online, and know your specifics, you may want to check out http://www.workwizer.ca
you should have enough time for shipping if you order soon.

they've got quite a bit of options size wize (blade, shaft and even handle) you can mix and match parts to make your own shovel specs, less customizing yourself means less chance of a fuckup if you don't know how to do it.

he'll ship assembled or separate if you specify.

you're looking at around 70-80$ a shovel then shipping, but it's well worth it to get exactly what you want. as always, shipping's better if you combine some orders...
ordered three sets of separates last year, we're all happy.
I just Need a planting shovel to make holes with.. I don't really know my specifics except for the height so I'll probably just go with the most popular one.
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

East wrote: I just Need a planting shovel to make holes with.
gold...

good luck bud. i'll let someone else rip into you for that one...
Chunk
Regular Contributor

Post by Chunk »

http://www.workwizer.ca/sizing_help.aspx

Size yourself up and order a shovel of appropriate length from Workwizer. Bushpro shovels are shit.
Casper

Post by Casper »

So east, I take for granted that you know the proper length of your shovel, related to your height (check workwizer's site if you need to).

As for the handle, you got the choice between the ''e'' handle and the ''d'' handle. Some say it's better for your wrist to use the ''e'' handle, as it's supposed to be his most natural position. It may be the case, but I saw ''e'' handle users develop tendonitis as well. I think your technique is much more important. The ''d'' handle is the straightforward, classic one. ( I took for granted that you won't use the staff, but if you want to check it out, there is a thread here about it)

As for the blade, you have options. First, the size. 7', 8.5', 10' and 12.5'. 7' is in my opinion too small for everyday use by a rookie (which you are probably). 12.5', on the other hand, is too big, you just need it for extra big trees. So we have 8.5' and 10' who do a reasonable job on most lands. I recommend 8.5', for the reason that follows :

You can also order a custom blade, in most cast with a kicker cut off, an option that doesn't seem available for the 10' blade. If you don't know on which side you're gonna kick (there is variations, the fact that you're right-handed won't determine which leg you're gonna kick with), then maybe the traditional 8.5' with both kickers is the best for now.

If you opt for the custom blade with only one kicker, you can choose to order an asymmetric blade, which means that your shaft won't be in the dead center of your blade, allowing for a bigger kicker. I, personally, like this.

Not sure if I forgot something, there is probably something about the angle of your blade and even the material used, but this is more than enough information to start with.

All this should help you ''make your holes''...
Sorry couldn't help it.

Edit : I strongly advice you to buy a workwizer a well. Just an overall better shovel, in my opinion.
East

Post by East »

ohsnap wrote:
gold...

I'll plant with a stick if it can make holes for my trees bud

I have decided to go with the following specs :

right kick plate.
REMOVE left kick plate.
25.5inches.
Cushion Grip D-Handle Standard

should me good to make holes with.
chrisdunn

Post by chrisdunn »

East wrote:

right kick plate.
REMOVE left kick plate.
25.5inches.

Great! Now we know what you want, the best bet is to go to the nearest home hardware, buy a shovel with a "D" handle, a wood screw, a screwdriver, a hacksaw, a tape measure, and a grinder. Maybe some safety glasses and leather gloves for the grind.
Or buy a stick. I have a few for sale, I like to ship UPS.
East

Post by East »

chrisdunn wrote:
East wrote:

right kick plate.
REMOVE left kick plate.
25.5inches.

Great! Now we know what you want, the best bet is to go to the nearest home hardware, buy a shovel with a "D" handle, a wood screw, a screwdriver, a hacksaw, a tape measure, and a grinder. Maybe some safety glasses and leather gloves for the grind.
Or buy a stick. I have a few for sale, I like to ship UPS.
Scratch this entire post , I have decided to dig with my hands this year. I will also be shaving my leg hair as to move more efficiently on windy days.
mel_eff

Post by mel_eff »

Oh, to be a rookie again.

For what it's worth, I used a Workwizer for 3 seasons. After my second year I had the right kicker ground off, tapped the shovel blade to a very slight angle to the right, and shaved the blade down a bit. It took me about that long to develop a relationship with my shovel since I was a left handed planter but kicked the way a right handed planter would. Not that you should be kicking much anyway. I wouldn't recommend modifying it right away since you have no idea what will be comfortable for you, and you won't figure that out until you've planted at least a couple of shifts. I would strongly suggest a Workwizer D handle instead, but you will figure it out for yourself. If you hate it then maybe you can trade another planter when you get to camp.

Also I didn't read the whole thread so maybe what I said is not really relevant or someone else said it already.
Expect delays.
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Unrelated, but kind of related: I actually planted three seasons with shovels I bought at Canadian Tire. It was a drain spade (for clearing drains, derp). Very thin steel compared to workwizers and typical planting shovels. Came with a 3 foot orange shaft that I had to cut down a lot. I also had to replace the d-handle which was a funky offset design totally unsuitable for planting. Most importantly, I had to completely reshape the blade, by cutting out an approximate planting shovel shape from the wide metal spade. THis amounted to about an inch and a half off each side, and probably 4 off the end.

After mods, the shovel was extremely light and very sharp. I really prefered the feeling of the light shovel, and think it put a lot less strain on my arm and shoulder. It weighed less than half of a regular shovel. People asked if I missed the weight for making the hole, but I didn't really find this to be a problem. I certainly had no problems with my arm and shoulder while using it. It was excellent in grassmat, simply excellent. Drawback was that the blade was nowhere near as strong. I could feel it flex in really hard ground. In fact, a few times in really rocky or frozen ground, I switched back to my old shovel just so I didn't have to worry about breaking it. Also, it was not good with rocks, and the tip was more prone to getting dinged or cracked. The metal wore down much faster than a typical planting shovel. Eventually I did crack the blade, but only after a full season plus a week. I simply went to crappy tire and bought another when it broke. Definitely got my money's worth. I've usually worn through a workwizer in about 2.5 to 3 seasons. All things considered, the crappy-tire shovel only cost me $30, and I definitely preferred the feeling of the shovel over my old heavy ones. Used it to set my personal record (three times) in semi-fast ground around Merritt. Not sure if they sell the exact same model anymore though, as the one I used had a blade that extended relatively straight from the shaft, whereas many of the drain spades they sell have a blade that is at an angle, which is relatively useless for planting.

A lot of the equipment we use is just accepted by habit as standard issue. However, there may be distinct advantages to seeking new models. 30 years or so ago, planters carried trees in single bags over their shoulder, until some genius put three bags on a belt. There's little reason to assume that we have it all figured out now.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Unrelated, but kind of related: I actually planted three seasons with shovels I bought at Canadian Tire. It was a drain spade (for clearing drains, derp). Very thin steel compared to workwizers and typical planting shovels. Came with a 3 foot orange shaft that I had to cut down a lot. I also had to replace the d-handle which was a funky offset design totally unsuitable for planting. Most importantly, I had to completely reshape the blade, by cutting out an approximate planting shovel shape from the wide metal spade. THis amounted to about an inch and a half off each side, and probably 4 off the end.
I enjoyed this. "I bought a great shovel. Replaced the blade, the shaft, and the handle, but it was great."
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
jdtesluk

Post by jdtesluk »

Yes but it was customized coolness, and went well with my neon sunglasses, vinyl record collection, and the vintage cardigan I bought at the Sally-Ann.
Casper

Post by Casper »

jdtesluk wrote: A lot of the equipment we use is just accepted by habit as standard issue. However, there may be distinct advantages to seeking new models. 30 years or so ago, planters carried trees in single bags over their shoulder, until some genius put three bags on a belt. There's little reason to assume that we have it all figured out now.
So true !
Brandini
Regular Contributor

Post by Brandini »

Many planters on our crew bought the standard workwizer blades a couple years back in PG. Several broke just above the kicker with less than 100 days use, but it sounds like a bad batch because no one else is whining. I found the newest edition of the Bushpro speed spade to be a great shovel, mainly because they ripped off the Workwizer blade shape.
Wulf77
Regular Contributor

Post by Wulf77 »

East wrote:
ohsnap wrote:
gold...

right kick plate.
REMOVE left kick plate.
25.5inches.

That's pretty much the shovel I plant with, and no complaints here. Works great, crazy light. Bushpro Hi-Baller with D-Handle, stainless steel blade, short as it possibly can go with a right and left kicker. I personally wouldn't remove one of the kickers right away until you know you won't use both(unless your doing B.C planting where its extremely rooty as im told)
jules

Post by jules »

Yeah, I've been planting with a carbon steel Bushpro shovel for seven seasons now. The only thing I modified was shaft length; the blade has both kickers still and the only reason it's shorter now is because it's worn down over the years. It's a little heavy compared to some of the newer models, but honestly I'm pretty happy with it.

Besides, I figure the weight gives me a bit of an edge if I ever have to bludgeon a bear.
MattW
Regular Contributor

Post by MattW »

I cant seem to find a d-handle shovel on workwizer's website, they're all sold out. Do any places in Victoria sell shovels?

EDIT: I figured it out.. you have to pick your parts separately. They still dont seem to have a symmetrical 8.5inch blade though.
ohsnap

Post by ohsnap »

MattW wrote: They still dont seem to have a symmetrical 8.5inch blade though.
do you mean this?
http://www.workwizer.ca/shovel_componen ... ?blades=40

it says fat, but that's the blade i have, it's no bigger than any other non-spoon unaltered blade i've ever seen.

if you really are sure you can't find it, there's always this option
http://www.workwizer.ca/shovel_componen ... ?blades=54

he's actually pretty good at getting back to requests, we had a bunch of questions when we ordered last year and he didn't take long to get back to us (even though it was around this time)