Four-Pouch Planting Bags

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Four-Pouch Planting Bags

Post by Scooter »

Someone emailed me a question about the effectiveness of four-baggers. I figured I'd post the conversation here, as someone else might benefit from it.

Question:
Do you have any experience with the 4 bag planting bags?
My Reply:
I haven’t used them myself, but one of my foremen has a set. He really seems to enjoy them. I wouldn’t think they’d give you that much of an advantage for Interior work, but for multi-species stuff on the coast, they must come in handy. I’ll copy him on this email and we can see what he has to add.

Follow-up from my foreman:
Once i moved to the four set bags i couldn't dream of going back, but like so many things in planting, its all personal preference. Scooter is right, it makes a bigger difference on the coast when your working with two, three, or four species at once. Here´s the way i see it:

Negative- they are noticable heavier. You never realize it when they are on you, but then you pick up a three set in one hand, and pick up a four set with the other, and you can tell there is a difference. They are more expensive, but i cant remember by how much. Not a lot.

Positive- they heli-pack just as easy as a three set. If you're the kind of person that likes to carry more than a box, then you never have a problem. The space is unlimited. In my second and third season I would basically never go out with less than a box and a half, but I try not to do that anymore. Mainly I like them because I can spread out my box in all four bags and it evens out the weight, and makes the whole load easier to carry. Loading up the back bags doesn't tire out your back like on regular bags. You can put an entire box in the back two pouches and you don't get that familiar strain that comes with back bagging. Also I'm very much opposed to the rampant use of flagging, so this only applies to me on the coast, but if you're the kind of guy who drops a flag now and then, what you do is drop the role of flag in one of your side-back bags, run the end around your side and pull it through the hole of your flagging pouch. I hope that made sense. Anyway, you've got the loose role of flagging in your back bag and not in that infernal, damnable, godforsaken flagging pouch where its going to get bunched up and caught on itself and generally cause misery. Although this also works on three set bags, i find it just works better on the four set. Flagging is for sissies anyway, but I digress. You can tell that I prefer the four set, but I'm pretty biased. Like I said, its personal preference.

And here's a photo:

Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
Mike
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Four-Pouch Planting Bags

Post by Mike »

Flagging is for sissies anyway, but I digress.
To further explain that statement (knowing the foreman in question), he also advocates a shovel screef in waist high grass on every tree as the proper way to see your trees, regardless of if the price is 10 or 11 cents, as the shovel screef is easier for him than the flagging is. Actually, I believe I've heard him say that the only good tree is a shovel screef tree, and doing anything else ever is wrong...and if you disagree, it's because you're a bad planter who doesn't like new or better ideas.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

Folklore, 2011: http://tinyurl.com/anl6mkd
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Are you sure it wasn't boot screefing he was referring to? I find that odd, since full shovel screefs were frowned upon on the contract that you're referring to, but boot screefing was encouraged.

I certainly don't remember seeing any shovel screefing on any of the Millar Western blocks that I walked around on. Mind you, I only ever had time to walk on about a fifth of the blocks on that annoying contract.

rumham
Starting to Post

Post by rumham »

questions about the original subject of this post:

are all 4 bags in a four-bag setup of equal volume?

are the bags in a four-bag the same volume as the sidebags in a 3-bag setup?

i don't know if the sidebags and backbag are different sizes on a 3-bag but for some reason i assume they are. i only ever use it to carry around SO MUCH flagging tape.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

The back bag on my BushPro 3-bagger is the same size as the two side bags.

Not sure about the four bagger. I think all four are the same size, and I think they are just a touch smaller than the pouches on 3-baggers. But not very much smaller (if at all) because inserts are designed for a certain size. But I don't know that for sure ... I've just seen them in use and haven't used them myself.

Mike

Post by Mike »

I am very, very sure.
All of my company reviews and experience (The Planting Company, Windfirm, ELF, Folklore, Dynamic, Timberline, Eric Boyd, Wagner, Little Smokey, Leader, plus my lists for summer work and coastal) can be found at the start of the Folklore review due to URL and character limits.

mcD

Post by mcD »

four bags are the way to go. you can just carry a lot more stuff and the wieght is distributed a lot better. having four baggers is a lot like having two side bags on each side and no back bag. I can draw from either equally well, great for mixing species or just not spending as much time swapping bundles. the bags are the same size as on a three bag setup. also it is getting really hard to find a new set of three bags with a full size back bag.

and as we discussed maybe a year or two ago

flagging IS for sissies or the visually impaired
Chocolatej
Regular Contributor

Post by Chocolatej »

Scooter wrote:The back bag on my BushPro 3-bagger is the same size as the two side bags.

Not sure about the four bagger. I think all four are the same size, and I think they are just a touch smaller than the pouches on 3-baggers. But not very much smaller (if at all) because inserts are designed for a certain size. But I don't know that for sure ... I've just seen them in use and haven't used them myself.
My back bag is definitely smaller and shallower than my side bags, I'm assuming your bags are older than mine. The bushpro site has a breakdown on their bag sizes and specs : http://www.bushpro.ca/index.php?page_id=1003
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, I had to buy a new set three years ago, so mine would have been purchased in April of 2008.

Chocolatej
Regular Contributor

Post by Chocolatej »

Hmm, that would make our bags the same age. I wonder if bushpro offers both models even though their website seems to indicate otherwise. I've often wished I had a bigger backbag.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Does yours have the cloth overlay with the drawstring, which the two side bags lack? Mine does. Coloured back bag (I think they were usually green or blue). Mine came from IRL in Prince George. I kind of like that drawstring on the back bag. I don't use the back bag for trees very often, so I usually tend to carry a fleece, a roll of TP in a plastic bag, a plot cord, and a small bottle of water in the back bag. Perhaps more weight than I should be carrying.

Chocolatej
Regular Contributor

Post by Chocolatej »

Yep, although my back bag is white, it's got the drawstring & cloth, at least it used to, it ripped off a while ago. I rarely back bag trees as well but it would be nice for multi-species or just for a heavy bag-up to have a regular bucket in the back.
Pandion

Post by Pandion »

4 baggers are definitely nice when micrositing multiple species in the early season and your winter insulation still keeps them up. However as the season rolls on and the weight melts away I find the side pouches come to rest too much on the front of my legs and they no longer stay up in a comfortable position without the dreaded shoulder straps. As far a flagging goes it has always helped me make more money, but then again I try to avoid cheap trees and screefing.
trip
Regular Contributor

Post by trip »

I agree with the general consensus; if you are planting lots of species, or need to bag huge, then 4 baggers have some advantages. Aside from these situations I don't think there is much difference. I have used both in the past, and currently use 3-baggers
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

I'm going to pick up a set of four-baggers at ONO in Nanaimo tomorrow morning. $109.95 plus tax. I'll probably put a second fert pouch on the outside. I find my fert pouch on my 3-baggers is pretty hand for carrying a 591ml gatorade bottle on a bag-up, if I'm not using it for teabags. I can drink half of the bottle at the 1/3rd bagup mark, and the other half at the 2/3rd bagup mark, and then I'm not completely thirsty when I get back to the cache. This avoids the problem of wanting to chug a litre of water when I'm back at the cache. Spreads the liquid consumption out a bit throughout the day, so you aren't as likely to get the queasy gut. And of course it's always best for your health to drink more water than you think you should possibly need to drink, even before the temperatures get high.

calesmith
Starting to Post

Post by calesmith »

Scooter wrote:I'm going to pick up a set of four-baggers at ONO in Nanaimo tomorrow morning. $109.95 plus tax. I'll probably put a second fert pouch on the outside. I find my fert pouch on my 3-baggers is pretty hand for carrying a 591ml gatorade bottle on a bag-up, if I'm not using it for teabags. I can drink half of the bottle at the 1/3rd bagup mark, and the other half at the 2/3rd bagup mark, and then I'm not completely thirsty when I get back to the cache. This avoids the problem of wanting to chug a litre of water when I'm back at the cache. Spreads the liquid consumption out a bit throughout the day, so you aren't as likely to get the queasy gut. And of course it's always best for your health to drink more water than you think you should possibly need to drink, even before the temperatures get high.
Who makes those bags they sell at ONO? Is this the best place to pick up 4-baggers? By best I mean cheapest and most durable. Or are there any better places to get some in Vancouver, or anywhere east of there on the trans-canada?
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

I assumed Bush-pro was the main manufacturer for the 4 baggers. I am curious, do other manufacturers have the same quality? I just always went with bush-pro but its nice to know about options. I wanted to add that , I too, found the bags to move forward as the season moved on- resting on the front of the thigh. I remedied this by switching the belt over to a arc'terx waist pad.
roughing it in the rough
hobohighballer
Regular Contributor

Post by hobohighballer »

Hey Backcountrysis,

Would you be able to post a pic of the four bagger with the arcteryx? I'm interested to see how you set it up.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cale: Ono is supplied by Bushpro. I'm not aware of any other company that produces 4baggers. You're probably going to pay within 10% variance anywhere you go.

sghyselincks

Post by sghyselincks »

I bought a set of 4-baggers to use in fast land with a mono-culture prescription. They are effective for distributing weight, and you can also bag up more trees if you need to bang off a deep piece. I don't think that their merits are exclusively for multi-species work. The only drawback that I've noticed is that the back two bags have a tendency to bang against the back of your thighs when they get loaded up, restricting your range of movement. As a planter who has a preference for fast, single species land, I still give them my stamp of approval.
backcountrysister

Post by backcountrysister »

Ill post a photo once I get them outta storage in a couple of weeks. I also wanna add- I use flagging because I dont wanna double plant or lose my line. not saying every tree but just the last line out. which used to piss my foreman off cause the flag was never next to a tree just on my line. haha! ~
hobohighballer wrote:Hey Backcountrysis,

Would you be able to post a pic of the four bagger with the arcteryx? I'm interested to see how you set it up.
. I
roughing it in the rough
hobohighballer
Regular Contributor

Post by hobohighballer »

backcountrysister wrote:Ill post a photo once I get them outta storage in a couple of weeks. I also wanna add- I use flagging because I dont wanna double plant or lose my line. not saying every tree but just the last line out. which used to piss my foreman off cause the flag was never next to a tree just on my line. haha! ~
hobohighballer wrote:Hey Backcountrysis,

. I

Thanks!
MattW
Regular Contributor

Post by MattW »

I just used a sewing awl to attach a waistband from an old backpack to my planting bags. Seems pretty solid, but time will tell as always.