Simonized saws

Here's a chance for all of us to discuss various issues related specifically to vehicles, mechanics, and things with motors or engines.
Tnalp
Replant Forums Highballer

Simonized saws

Post by Tnalp »

If anyone was wondering about modified saws I can assert that (after buying a few dozen of them (at least 12 for myself) Simon Wright, from Campbell River, sure does an awesome job.

FYI - Mod saw = more power for less weight = less strain on user.
mwainwright

Re: Simonized saws

Post by mwainwright »

what about that john rutherford in abbotsford? you ever buy saws from that guy? i wonder how they compare to the simonized saws.
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

I don't know? I own saws from 4 different "modders" (including walker) and I think these 2 new 460's from simon are the best yet!
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

I work on my own saws (brush saws to be more accurate). I don't mod them, just fix them.

Home made gear puller made of threaded rod and a couple hydraulic fittings off the shelf.
SD_HM_Gear_Puller-003.jpg
SD_HM_Gear_Puller-003.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
Pulled that flywheel off without a hitch. Some people will pound on the shaft while securing the flywheel. Not me, that's how you bust stuff. ;)
SD_HM_Gear_Puller-002.jpg
SD_HM_Gear_Puller-002.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

Any contact info on John Rutherford? Is he a dealer?
mwainwright

Post by mwainwright »

lives in abbotsford, hes not a dealer just a regular guy that knows his shit. rob lucas might be able to help you get more specific contact info. just a thought.
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

thanks
shawniganlaker

Post by shawniganlaker »

Had my 357XP "Walkerized" in Nanaimo. They did an god job and I've cut for 2 seasons with no problems. This shop is the shop of choice for loggers on the Island.

http://www.walkerssawshop.com
chrisdunn

Post by chrisdunn »

Modified saws are great, if you are on a job with a cool QST or no QST at all(even better).

I always carry stock spare mufflers, allen keys, and red loctite in case I get busted.

How is a Simonized saw different from a Walkerized saw?
Tnalp

Post by Tnalp »

Simon Wright from Campbell River modifies/"simonizes" his saws. Walkers from Nanaimo "walkerize" their saws.

As to the exact difference in modifications I don't know... Had about a dozen saws modified by Walker years ago and one of them needed some major work after a while, brought in in to my local shop and they opened it up and showed me that there had only been a muffler mod.. no work on the ports etc... needless to say since that day i haven't bought from them anymore.

Simon will mod your saw, send it back and let you try it before paying him!
chrisdunn

Post by chrisdunn »

Crazy, I could see that happening though. Besides the muffler they look the same on the outside. Unless you get the leather dust thing riveted onto the chain cover, which is a bad idea. People see it and talk about it. Then the QST's start asking questions...

I just get the walker mufflers done, one for a 372 and one for a 357. And I recently got an OEM husky piped muffler with my new 390. It's got one really small pipe and a catalytic convertor for some reason. No hole for spark arrestor either. Kind of a strange muffler. The jury's still out on this one, I haven't played with it much. Sounds way different too. It is an OEM unmodified muffler, but with no spark arrrestor, it's not compliant to begin with.

I have used a couple of full walkerized 372 saws in the past, they were great, and a noticeable difference from a stock 372. Way smoother.

I could see a 357 vastly improved with a full walkerizing, (especially balancing the crank-part of the walkerizing) because the stock ones vibrate quite a bit.
Marlo
Starting to Post

Post by Marlo »

Did some work to build road near Amenta. Wick to own one. To call mine that is.