Putting caulks in uncaulked boots

And that's what I'm gonna do. Wait, sorry, I got distracted. Everyone talks about boots, so they get their own special forum.
QuakingAspen
Starting to Post

Putting caulks in uncaulked boots

Post by QuakingAspen »

I was given an older pair of logger boots, and I was told the soles can easily have caulks put into them. But I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to go about this. Would it be better to send them in to someone who can do this, or is it reasonably straightforward (I'm fairly industrious) for a person to do this themselves?

I've seen tools for adjusting or removing caulks, but it also looks like every pair of caulk boots I've seen has little divets pre-made to accomodate said caulks. That said can I use the same tool, or? Is it feasible to have to use a drill carefully and make the divets for them that way?

In the case of sending them in, how much should I expect to pay?
Scooter
Site Administrator

Re: Putting caulks in uncaulked boots

Post by Scooter »

A caulk wrench only helps putting caulks into a boot that has the caulk receptacles already mounted in the sole.

I think there's a thread about this somewhere. Try using the search button in the top right and search for terms like "caulk" and "boot" and "caulked." Hopefully you'll find one. I seem to remember a lengthy discussion at some point about a place on the Island that does this for maybe around $120.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
QuakingAspen
Starting to Post

Post by QuakingAspen »

That's kind of what I thought about the caulk wrench.

I didn't find anything here, but my first guess would be viberg. I was actually about to shoot them an email about this. But they're definitely on the island (they're based out of vic) and work boots are what they do.

Thanks for the reply.
The_Bearslayer
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by The_Bearslayer »

Go to a cobbler, and then only if you really like the boots. Having boots caulked is about 120 bucks, which isn't much less than a pair of blue Vikings, which are light, have lots of caulks and will last a season. I used to audition some expensive new footwear system every season or two, including expensive logging/timber cruising stuff, but they all sucked.
Last edited by The_Bearslayer on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
QuakingAspen
Starting to Post

Post by QuakingAspen »

Called the local cobbler, said it would cost about 140-150 to get it done.

Now this just has me thinking I should get my regular boots done. Still in great shape and I'm certain they'll outlast the cheaper viking caulks (plus they're waterproof and leather, and definitely way more comfortable). Also it's still $40-50 less than the cheapest place I found the black tusk caulks from them. Gives me something to think about anyways.

Thanks for the replies, and for linking those threads Scooter. I appreciate it.