Anyone experienced in modding Workwizer shovels?

Where to get it, supplier contact information and websites, questions & suggestions, etc. Everything but boots - they get their own forum.
Chunk
Regular Contributor

Anyone experienced in modding Workwizer shovels?

Post by Chunk »

I want to shorten the shaft length of my shovel, but I'm not sure of the correct way (or if there is a correct way) to open up my Workwizer for length adjustment. I have two ideas:

Idea 1: I need to bust open the holes near the handle which may be hiding some screws.
Idea 2: I need to separate the yellow shaft from the lower steel portion by forcefully driving the two pieces apart (somehow).

Any experiences or thoughts are welcome.
Attachments
IMG_02163.jpg
IMG_02163.jpg (279.13 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Casper
Replant Forums Highballer

Re: Anyone experienced in modding Workwizer shovels?

Post by Casper »

Idea 2. It might be hard to separate, but if you stick your blade into some kind of a crack and pull and twist the handle, it should be fine. Watch out if you use a stick inside the handle for leverage not to damage or break the handle.
bush
Replant Forums Highballer

Post by bush »

hold the yellow handle with one hand. blade down, handle up. hit the blade on the kicker with a bangy thing(hammer). it works.
Scooter
Site Administrator

Post by Scooter »

Ignore what I posted here earlier, I made an error ... I didn't look closely and didn't realize that this is a different style of shovel than the ones I use. Whiskey is a wonderful thing, until you go online at 5am.
Free download of "Step By Step" training book: www.replant.ca/digitaldownloads
Personal Email: jonathan.scooter.clark@gmail.com

Sponsor Tree Planting: www.replant-environmental.ca
(to build community forests, not to be turned into 2x4's and toilet paper)
chronic
Regular Contributor

Post by chronic »

Option #1 won't work for you, as its solid one piece plastic to the bottom, no rivets or screws like the old wooden shaft handles. You would need to go option #2. Get the handle and blade apart and you will see the metal sleeve in the bottom of plastic shaft. This metal would need to come out and then you could shorten the plastic and re-insert the metal sleeve back in. But this won't be easy at all, and will never be as solid, as the original.

Save yourself the trouble of trying to shorten it and just buy a new work-wizer handle of proper length. They're cheap and will be your best, most reliable option. And as your blade wears down you may want the taller shaft again.

If your really set on making work and trouble for yourself, contact shane (the owner) of work-wizer and he can probably let you know exactly how you could shorten it. He might take a little bit to get back to you, but he's a stand up guy to deal with and very helpful.
Chunk
Regular Contributor

Post by Chunk »

Good info ya'll. Thanks a lot for the input. It doesn't seem like a simple operation so I might just opt to buy a new shovel.